Closed Thread
Old May 29, 2010, 07:37 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tushev View Post
The case quality is obvious from appearance. The electronics not so much.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2010, 02:17 PM
Joined May 2009
89 Posts
Only Futaba fasst + amplifier (500mw or 1W) is FPV-grade in my opinion. Futaba is the best 2.4GHz implementation, because it uses the whole open 2.4GHz spectrum (about 70MHz) ALL THE TIME by jumping to all possible 2.4GHz channels few hundred times a second. There's almost no way to block it and with amplifier, it's going few kilometers without any problem. Hell, even without amplifier, some people reporter 2-3km here.

Spectrum just sticks to two frequencies (in total less than 5MHz) and can be blocked easily. The worst in terms of blocking are 35MHz or 72MHz links, they use just few hundred kHz of spectrum without any frequency jumping, somebody can start their model on the same frequency and you are going down...
dimar is offline Find More Posts by dimar
Old May 29, 2010, 08:27 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
Trappy, I can not agree with you more, Thomas or DragonL, is the way to go, 72mHz too for remote areas. The reason I am struggling with my Futaba 2.4G is - I am cheap bastard and I like small antennas.

dimar , I second that. May be is very important to turn ON the video TX before you bind the Spectrum radio to the Rx.
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
Old May 30, 2010, 10:38 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimar View Post
Only Futaba fasst + amplifier (500mw or 1W) is FPV-grade in my opinion. Futaba is the best 2.4GHz implementation, because it uses the whole open 2.4GHz spectrum (about 70MHz) ALL THE TIME by jumping to all possible 2.4GHz channels few hundred times a second. There's almost no way to block it and with amplifier, it's going few kilometers without any problem. Hell, even without amplifier, some people reporter 2-3km here.

Spectrum just sticks to two frequencies (in total less than 5MHz) and can be blocked easily. The worst in terms of blocking are 35MHz or 72MHz links, they use just few hundred kHz of spectrum without any frequency jumping, somebody can start their model on the same frequency and you are going down...
In conventional RC a lot of pilots believe FASST to be more reliable system and it makes sense that it would maintain a stronger link as the plane moves further from the Tx. Neo got almost 4 miles range with a amp on his 7C.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 30, 2010, 12:29 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2007
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
Christ -

How old is your AR7000? I got mine right when Spektrum came out. Are the newer rx's more robust?
I've had different results with the new and old ones. I have achieved much better range and less lockouts with the newer ones. That only applies to AR7000. Don't use any other rx. I've used AR6200 with the satellite rx and it sucks as well as the ar6100.
Jumpjet101 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpjet101
Old May 30, 2010, 01:41 PM
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Jul 2007
404 Posts
This thread is about modding DX7. I know that there are other systems out their that are much better suited for FPV but we are focusing on people who currently have DX7's. I have had my share of bad luck with Spectrum and wanted to toss it into the trash many times, but I still have it for my own reason. Sometimes you have to make due with what you have and that is what I did.

I do not always fly in rural areas. Using an updated AR7000, I can almost always get two miles without any problems, even in the city. In rural areas, I've managed to get 4 miles using my DX7. Many people have different results with their Spectrum. I'm not trying to tell people to go out and buy one but if you already have one, then there maybe some hope if you have the USA version which I was told to have greater output power.

The mod that I made to my DX7 was replace the stock antenna using this one. Before you can change the antenna, you need one of these.

Eventually I will change R/C systems, but in the mean time, this is what works for me and I am happy with my results. It may or may not work for others but my results are much better than when I first started using the Spectrum for FPV. If you are using the DX7, stay away from the AR6100 and AR6200, there range really suck!!
Jumpjet101 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpjet101
Old May 30, 2010, 07:57 PM
kreu01
Joined Oct 2008
547 Posts
following the same line of thought, I built it

I can go over 5km without problems.
kreu01 is offline Find More Posts by kreu01
Old May 31, 2010, 04:28 AM
Fly like a bird
Beijing & ShenZhen, China
Joined May 2010
480 Posts
Pls check here:http://www.bevrc.com/24g-long-range-...tios-p-85.html.

2.4G can give you more range than your imagination.
BEVRC is offline Find More Posts by BEVRC
Old May 31, 2010, 05:29 AM
kreu01
Joined Oct 2008
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVRC View Post

Yes, itīs true

I spoke with a friend and he said that for every 1w, can you go to 120km using certain antennas
kreu01 is offline Find More Posts by kreu01
Old May 31, 2010, 07:42 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,856 Posts
Quote:

is there more proof to substantiate these claims?

i have a dx7, but wouldn't dream of using it for long distance...
not without a lot of convincing

i have seen thread after thread of issues on 2.4 having long range limitations/ unreliability/ lockouts etc

having said that, if there was such a way to give reliable long range on 2.4, i'm all ears... it'll save me upgrading to a much more expensive system :-D
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; May 31, 2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: premature key stroking
Old May 31, 2010, 08:34 AM
Joined May 2009
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
is there more proof to substantiate these claims?

i have a dx7, but wouldn't dream of using it for long distance...
not without a lot of convincing

i have seen thread after thread of issues on 2.4 having long range limitations/ unreliability/ lockouts etc

having said that, if there was such a way to give reliable long range on 2.4, i'm all ears... it'll save me upgrading to a much more expensive system :-D
Unreliability and other problems = not all 2.4g systems are the same. People complain mostly about their crappy cheap chinese 2.4ghz systems, but you get what you pay for.

FPV-grade 2.4g system is, like many here agree, only futaba fasst and with amplifier. If you don't want to use 2.4g system, go with some of those long range systems with custom transmitters and receivers.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:44 AM
Fly like a bird
Joined May 2010
480 Posts
I am sorry, most of things you play are probably made in China, u never say it's good or bad if you don't have it and test it.

So we have a free-try-out, we don't want to claim it how good, I want customer say for us.
BTW, we will realease a UHF long range system too.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:51 AM
Joined May 2009
89 Posts
Quote:
I am sorry, most of things you play are probably made in China, u never say it's good or bad if you don't have it and test it.

So we have a free-try-out, we don't want to claim it how good, I want customer say for us.
I was not talking about your system, but generally about those cheap generic 2.4ghz systems that people complain about.
Old May 31, 2010, 08:55 AM
Fly like a bird
Joined May 2010
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimar View Post
I was not talking about your system, but generally about those cheap generic 2.4ghz systems that people complain about.
, misunderstanding
Old May 31, 2010, 09:00 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,205 Posts
Quote:

I got layoff because the company I worked for started to do 90% of the electronics in china then they send them back to the USA to finish the product here and put the MADE IS USA sticker on it.

So doesnt matter where was made, all depends on the quality of the product I have seen Crap USA products and Crap China products, you have to test them first. This could be a good product or a crappy one.

PS: FYI Mexico companies are more clean and have better QC than USA ones, did you know that 90% of your electronics in your car are made in Mexico? (Ford, BMW, VOLVO etc)
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread