Old May 19, 2012, 12:54 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalneyCol View Post
Hi Crist.

Can you explain why you used an attenuator. Wouldn't that just reduce the potential range?

Col.
I've explained it several times now. The attenuator is there to limit the input signal to the booster. The booster is rated for 20dbi max. If your transmitter is less than that then you don't need the attenuator. The spec says that optimal input power is 9-13dbi.

Using an attenuator does not reduce range. The attenuator is on the input of the booster. So if you input anywhere from 9 to 20 dbi, you'll get full range.

The attenuator has nothing to do with not burning up the host transmitter.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2012, 03:33 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
I've explained it several times now. The attenuator is there to limit the input signal to the booster. The booster is rated for 20dbi max. If your transmitter is less than that then you don't need the attenuator. The spec says that optimal input power is 9-13dbi.

Using an attenuator does not reduce range. The attenuator is on the input of the booster. So if you input anywhere from 9 to 20 dbi, you'll get full range.

The attenuator has nothing to do with not burning up the host transmitter.
Thanks Crist I think I'm up to speed now. On my first read through I gave up when a certain person's off topic remarks looked like they were about to derail the thread completely but I persevered today and can see that much more valuable information was still to come.

It sounds like a remarkable and very simply mod I can't wait to give it a try so many thanks for your perseverance with it.

Col.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
Old May 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2010 View Post
What should be the sequence of powering up the set: booster first and then the radio or radio on first and then the booster or it does not really matter as long as the antenna is on the booster and there is RF connection between the booster and the TX?

In my setup I will not be able to connect them both in the same time as there will be some distance in between them.
Anyone can help on this one?
Jack2010 is offline Find More Posts by Jack2010
Old May 24, 2012, 07:38 AM
Magyarország, Pest, Budaörs
Joined May 2011
117 Posts
Hi all!

I would like to set up my Flysky th9x radio same Turnigy 9x with this booster. Somebody who done this mode with this or other radio can upload here some picture about inside wireings.
I'would like to know how to connect the booster with the same main battery of the RC transmitter, i dont want to make GND loop fault. I have no a 1C 2650mah 3s lipo in my transmitter. Can I use this battery to feed my Argtek or Sunhans booster. (I know Argtek need 6v, which can provide a car lightter 12v-5v adapter e.g or hobbking ubec)
Can u send me some picture about connecting the wires to transmitte on off switch inside (in case of turnigy)?

thanks for help
Ltomi78 is offline Find More Posts by Ltomi78
Old May 24, 2012, 09:52 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,033 Posts
How about post #2. Maybe that will be some help.
Bill0 is online now Find More Posts by Bill0
Old May 30, 2012, 03:02 PM
Scratch builder
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2011
273 Posts
Are the steps the same for the dx7s(newer model)?
Bixler13 is offline Find More Posts by Bixler13
Old May 30, 2012, 11:06 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack2010 View Post
Anyone can help on this one?
I just powered mine up at the same time.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltomi78 View Post
Hi all!

I would like to set up my Flysky th9x radio same Turnigy 9x with this booster. Somebody who done this mode with this or other radio can upload here some picture about inside wireings.
I'would like to know how to connect the booster with the same main battery of the RC transmitter, i dont want to make GND loop fault. I have no a 1C 2650mah 3s lipo in my transmitter. Can I use this battery to feed my Argtek or Sunhans booster. (I know Argtek need 6v, which can provide a car lightter 12v-5v adapter e.g or hobbking ubec)
Can u send me some picture about connecting the wires to transmitte on off switch inside (in case of turnigy)?

thanks for help
I consider this hijacking this thread. Please open up your own thread on the Turnigy 9X.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:11 AM
Joined Jun 2011
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltomi78 View Post
Hi all!

thanks for help
Hi, I did this on my 9X and I also posted a detailed DIY on it. You can find it in the radios forum. I used the battery in the transmitter and a UBEC, coupled to a battery gauge. Well...do a little searching in the radio forum and take a look your self.

BTW Crist Rigotti,
You were one of the inspirations. Thanks to you and others who have done this I'm getting TX ranges further than my VTX can handle. Before I was going into fail safe at 50%-ish VTX range. Thanks
rotaryboots is offline Find More Posts by rotaryboots
Old May 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotaryboots View Post
Hi, I did this on my 9X and I also posted a detailed DIY on it. You can find it in the radios forum. I used the battery in the transmitter and a UBEC, coupled to a battery gauge. Well...do a little searching in the radio forum and take a look your self.

BTW Crist Rigotti,
You were one of the inspirations. Thanks to you and others who have done this I'm getting TX ranges further than my VTX can handle. Before I was going into fail safe at 50%-ish VTX range. Thanks
You are most welcome. Thanks for helping out on the 9X.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixler13 View Post
Are the steps the same for the dx7s(newer model)?
I did the mod on the DX7s and it works great. I didn't bother tapping off the internal battery though. I just put a external 450mah 3s battery and a dc/dc converter next to the amplifier instead.
windsnob is offline Find More Posts by windsnob
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Feb 2010
49 Posts
2w booster

is the 2w booster beter? any danger?
gvertical is offline Find More Posts by gvertical
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
hi all, great info, I am setting up my first tests for this booster.

Radio is a Futaba 10C

booster is the usual 1 watt booster.

I did some range tests with the transmitter in my basement.

Without the booster I get about three houses away outside

with the booster I get about one extra house...

I was hoping for much more but becuase it is not LOS at all I am sure the difference will be much more in the air.

My question is about attenuation... I have 12 feet of cable and couple connectors... likely this may be too much attenuation but I would like some way to measure this attenuation.

Is it possible to do this? Do I measure the resistance in the cable and apply some sort of formula?

Thanks!

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
hi all, great info, I am setting up my first tests for this booster.

Radio is a Futaba 10C

booster is the usual 1 watt booster.

I did some range tests with the transmitter in my basement.

Without the booster I get about three houses away outside

with the booster I get about one extra house...

I was hoping for much more but becuase it is not LOS at all I am sure the difference will be much more in the air.

My question is about attenuation... I have 12 feet of cable and couple connectors... likely this may be too much attenuation but I would like some way to measure this attenuation.

Is it possible to do this? Do I measure the resistance in the cable and apply some sort of formula?

Thanks!

Steve
Look up the specs for your cable and it will give the attenuation per foot. Then take your TX output power minus the cable length attenuation and the result should not exceed the input power for the amp.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:04 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,965 Posts
Yes from reserch there is a formula... I test flew out to 1 km with a 1.3 500mw video TX onboard the other day no problems... so all is good.

nice little mod for sure, my friends have been using this system for a year now.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Closed Thread