to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2011, 04:09 PM
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorAP View Post
Ive sold all my Spektrum gear and went Dragonlink for FPV, Ill never look back.
Keep this thread on topic fellas.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:00 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Maitland
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
My wifi booster died today. So how far do you think I'll be able to get with just the 5dBi omni antenna? I took of the SMA-SMA cable and broken booster so it's just u.FL-antenna only.

I also have a 7dBi panel antenna

http://dc274.4shared.com/download/D8...Panel_ante.pdf

1000m LOS? That's all I'm interested in for now.
chatch15117 is offline Find More Posts by chatch15117
Old Nov 21, 2011, 04:44 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
My wifi booster died today. So how far do you think I'll be able to get with just the 5dBi omni antenna? I took of the SMA-SMA cable and broken booster so it's just u.FL-antenna only.

I also have a 7dBi panel antenna

http://dc274.4shared.com/download/D8...Panel_ante.pdf

1000m LOS? That's all I'm interested in for now.
a DX7 and a 7DB patch antenna will work in the mean time, but there have been many spectrum issues with FPV. Since Crist asked i'll try to keep it on topic.

I beleive the general rule is every gain of 6DB doubles you're effective range. so 7 Dbi will give you a little more range, prolly about 30% more.

Assuming you have a DX7. some of the smaller ones (DX5, DX6) have only 60mw transmission power.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I have a Racon 4ch radio lol. It says 1000m range and the actual TX board is a 6ch board with limited firmware. I also have the same 7ch receiver.

Here is the spec sheet

http://www.dynam-rc.com/download/2.4g-6ch.pdf

So if you look there you cans see it says <750Mw for some reason. Current drain 200mA. I'm guessing at least 75mW but my math based on the current drain says just 50mW((9.6/200)*1000)

The RX sensitivity is just -50dB...

I have two of these radios(one is bone stock, the other I modded the heck out of LOL) so I'll see if I can get a friend to drive off with both Tx on and my other Rx hooked up to see what the range difference is.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:04 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
I have a Racon 4ch radio lol. It says 1000m range and the actual TX board is a 6ch board with limited firmware. I also have the same 7ch receiver.

Here is the spec sheet

http://www.dynam-rc.com/download/2.4g-6ch.pdf

So if you look there you cans see it says <750Mw for some reason. Current drain 200mA. I'm guessing at least 75mW but my math based on the current drain says just 50mW((9.6/200)*1000)

The RX sensitivity is just -50dB...
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:13 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts

nao
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
13 Posts
I picked up a 2000mw amp for my dx4e. I think from the fcc website i need at minimum 6 dbi attenuator. Supposed to be 20+ db's stock. Ill try and post pictures when its all done.

I dont really want long range, just like reliable 2-3k range if I needed it. One less thing ot worry about.
Rasper is offline Find More Posts by Rasper
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2011
2,109 Posts
I lost connectivity at about 650m without booster and 5dBi antenna on vacation at marco island.

Look around 2:00 and when the pan servo is jerking back to center that's the failsafe kicking in. "I lost it, dad, I lost it..." as my spotter is watching ESPN mobile on his new phone. Almost threw that damn thing in the canal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy05OPDzyhs
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:02 AM
Joined Jun 2011
46 Posts
Will be doing this same mod to my FS-TH9X soon. I've got an early V2 9X (still has the useless FM antenna -usually hang a small wing sock on the end of it since it's so long); it's easy to mod my module to add in the booster.

Is the rssi reading unreliable if I add this to a FSSky telemetry setup? My FPV setup will most likely stay 900mhz vx, 2.4ghz tx unless I get a uhf setup and build up my 900mhz vx even more.
rotaryboots is offline Find More Posts by rotaryboots
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:25 PM
I am flying wild :-)
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
hi,

I bought an argtek 1W booster and try to use it with my graupner mx-16 hott. there I have telemetry to check signal strength.
if I connect the amp, the signal is much stronger, even the "receiving" part of the telemetry is boosted.

but sometimes, when I move the antenna a bit it sometimes looses connection completely !! I checked cables and connectors, but these are all good. if I cannot rely on this mod, I cannot use it ! :-(

my setup is:

15cm pigtail (rg178)
2m normal coax cable (about 1db attenuation)
2db standard antenna for 2.4GHz

my transmitter transmits with about 18db, 100mW max
I dont use an additional attenuator (do I need one ?)
the led on the amp is bright "ON", not flickering ! (is that right ?)

should the led flicker or should it be "ON" ?

the voltage to the amp is 6.6V, from an 2s LIFE-battery. I also tried 5V from a linear BEC, but its no difference.

whats wrong with my setup ?
why is my system loosing connection sometimes ?

I would need some help ...

greetings
wildflyer1de is offline Find More Posts by wildflyer1de
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflyer1de View Post
hi,

I bought an argtek 1W booster and try to use it with my graupner mx-16 hott. there I have telemetry to check signal strength.
if I connect the amp, the signal is much stronger, even the "receiving" part of the telemetry is boosted.

but sometimes, when I move the antenna a bit it sometimes looses connection completely !! I checked cables and connectors, but these are all good. if I cannot rely on this mod, I cannot use it ! :-(

my setup is:

15cm pigtail (rg178)
2m normal coax cable (about 1db attenuation)
2db standard antenna for 2.4GHz

my transmitter transmits with about 18db, 100mW max
I dont use an additional attenuator (do I need one ?)
the led on the amp is bright "ON", not flickering ! (is that right ?)

should the led flicker or should it be "ON" ?

the voltage to the amp is 6.6V, from an 2s LIFE-battery. I also tried 5V from a linear BEC, but its no difference.

whats wrong with my setup ?
why is my system loosing connection sometimes ?

I would need some help ...

greetings
Same booster I have used for over 2 years now and the LED should stay on not flicker. Have you tried another antenna? The one that comes with the booster is OK but not great. I no longer use the antenna that comes with the booster and upgraded to a better one. With 18dbm you should be fine as that's about 70mw.
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Last edited by Crash9; Jan 25, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:51 PM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9 View Post
Same booster I have used for over 2 years now and the LED should stay on not flicker. Have you tried another antenna? The one that comes with the booster is OK but not great. I no longer use the antenna that comes with the booster and upgraded to a better one. With 18db you should be fine as that's about 70mw.
the total output is 20db of the transmitter minus the 2db from the inbuilt antenna = about 18db output to the pigtail (I have read this somewhere on the internet), how can I be sure, how much output is there in reality ? "inside" nothing is written as in your transmitters, the fcc-ID is (ZGZ-mx-16-20) ...

I only tried this little 2db antenna that works great with my transmitter, when I use it without the booster ... I can try other antennas, I have from 2db-13db 2.4ghz ...

my transmitter does a lot of "frequency hopping", is that maybe a problem ?

greetings
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
I just made some antenna testing.

they are all a bit different. the higher gain antennas (5-9db) are worse than the 2db antennas. when I hold the antenna "high" over me, and about parallel to the receiver antenna, the signal is interrupted, until I move it to a different angle, then the strong, boosted signal is there again.

then I tested without the booster the same angles and it had an overall much "weaker" signal, but no interruptions ...

I tested with some trees in between and a building "to the left". maybe in these cases, a strong signal is "worse" than a weaker one ?

greetings
Old Jan 30, 2012, 12:50 AM
Germany, BY, M
Joined Jan 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9 View Post
Same booster I have used for over 2 years now and the LED should stay on not flicker. Have you tried another antenna? The one that comes with the booster is OK but not great. I no longer use the antenna that comes with the booster and upgraded to a better one.
what antenna do you have now?

I made some more testing, I tested whlie flying and the telemetriy log was very good, no interrups or sth, but it wasnt long range. but signal was better than without the booster. so lets see what a longer range test will show. I am happy with it at the moment :-).

I am using it with a 2s life 6,6V battery, it works great, but is it reliable ? does anyone here use more than 6V for this booster ?
I also have a rg174 cable with 2m (3-4db attenuation) between the transmitter and the booster. but this made no noticable difference.

how about some experience with hot or cold outside temperature ? does temperature affect reliability somehow ?

greetings
Closed Thread