HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 26, 2010, 03:46 PM
Joined Jul 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
Did you experience any conflicts with other nearby 2.4 RC radios.
Absolutely not
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2010, 07:42 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo360 View Post
No, never attenuator, i have connected the Booster 1W directly to the Radio Pcb Board with U.Fl pigtail to Rp-Sma.

Now i use the LRS by Thomas, but but until I used it I never had any problems.
Neo, I see you are from Italy. What dbm is your DX7 rated at? My USA DX7 was 21.3dbm. Perhaps yours was lower than 20dbm which is the max rated input to the booster, hence you didn't need the attenuator? There was a little sticker on my transmitter module with that info on it.
Crist Rigotti is online now Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old May 27, 2010, 07:50 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Do you know if it's possible to buy the transmitter module as a spare part from Spektrum? I managed to fry mine in my DX6i and now I have about 10m max range. I did this mod with my DX6i and it worked really well, but I was cheap when buying the ufl-SMA pigtail and the faulty connection caused my tx module to burn out.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old May 27, 2010, 08:08 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Do you know if it's possible to buy the transmitter module as a spare part from Spektrum? I managed to fry mine in my DX6i and now I have about 10m max range. I did this mod with my DX6i and it worked really well, but I was cheap when buying the ufl-SMA pigtail and the faulty connection caused my tx module to burn out.
Try contacting Horizon Hobby.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:13 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Try contacting Horizon Hobby.
They want me to send it back and pay for it to be fixed, which is just not going to be worth it. I'll just keep looking on ebay for one with a smashed screen or something and hope to get it fixed that way. I like the easy to use menu system of the DX6i, so want to keep it, so if I can't get hold of one then I will just buy a frSky or Corona hack module to put in it.
Old May 27, 2010, 08:26 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
Neo, I see you are from Italy. What dbm is your DX7 rated at? My USA DX7 was 21.3dbm. Perhaps yours was lower than 20dbm which is the max rated input to the booster, hence you didn't need the attenuator? There was a little sticker on my transmitter module with that info on it.
Neo was using a Futaba 7C radio.
Was your reason to use a 6db attenuator rather than a 3db just to add a safety margin?
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 27, 2010, 09:10 AM
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Evans View Post
Neo was using a Futaba 7C radio.
Was your reason to use a 6db attenuator rather than a 3db just to add a safety margin?
I missed that NEO was using a Futaba 7C radio.

I used a 6db attenuator because simply I bought one very cheap on eBay. Also I ran some numbers figuring the connector and coax inline losses plus the 6 db attenuator and came up with something like 13.9dbm which is very close to the optimal input as listed in the booster specs. I also have a 4db attenuator which I intend to try when I get the chance. The booster specs list the input from 9dbm to 20dbm with 9-13dbm listed as optimal. While I believe others are running their boosters close to 20dbm and getting away with it, why risk it over a $8 attenuator? So yes, I'm running a 6db attenuator simply for a safety margin and still getting the results that I'm pleased with and keeping within, or near, the optimal specs for the booster.
Old May 27, 2010, 09:38 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2009
1,111 Posts
I am very interested in the developments here, as Im (also) using Spektrum for my R/C link / FPV.
Today, I flew over 3500 feet (1.2km), using my DX6i Transmitter, with an AR7000 Rx on the plane - FPV. This is a record for me!!

Martin - so you are saying that with a 2.4GHz Patch Antenna connected, in place of the standard omni, R/C range "could" increase to over 5km !!?

Also can I ask, would there be any advantage putting a 12dBi Patch on there, over say an 8dBi ? Would the ACTUAL range tail off, once you get to a certain dBi Patch rating?

I did also try the WIFI Amplifier/Booster mod, along with a uBEC inline.
Eventually after a handful of crashes at poor range, I carried out another ground range test. Alarmingly, I got FURTHER distance with the STOCK Tx/Rx combo, which indicated my WIFI Booster was doing nothing at all!! DEFECTIVE???? Removed it from my Tx setup, and range is decent again, better without it !

Will be following this Thread with close interest! Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Y View Post
Chris
If you use a patch antenna, your distance will be nuts. I did that mod to my DX6i last year but I use a 500mw booster. Havent tested it (too scared in loosing it) but now I have my autopilot working now I can. With a 9db patch just on the dx6, I did a ground test to just over 5.5kms.

Martin
jetstreaming is offline Find More Posts by jetstreaming
Old May 27, 2010, 09:57 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
pretty cool stuff from a technical perspective and as a short term workaround, but you guys are aware that 2.4GHz is a bad idea on R/C, right? I mean all the ranges I'm seeing here, even including the boosters, are easily achieved with a standard, analog link and a 4m servo wire antenna. The risk of getting shot down on the old TX is a lot smaller than the risk of you guys losing LOS out far and completely losing R/C. Adding a patch antenna on R/C without a automatic tracker is possibly the worst idea since world war 2.

If 2.4 is a requirement (it's probably not, but just saying) you should consider getting quality stuff like XTremeLink or Weatronic. These systems get 6 miles out of the box with legal output power and zero crazy mods. At the price of these systems, you're better off buying a LRS, though.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old May 27, 2010, 10:07 AM
It's all fun till Crunch!
InSane Diego
Joined Jan 2002
1,958 Posts
What is a 4m servo wire antenna?

Thanks

Crunch
Capt. Crunch is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Crunch
Old May 27, 2010, 10:10 AM
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Crunch View Post
What is a 4m servo wire antenna?

Thanks

Crunch
It's a 4m long antenna made out of servo wire.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:10 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
A servo wire soldered to an existing receiver
Old May 27, 2010, 10:15 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,422 Posts
Not everyone lives in remote areas. 2.4 is taking over or already has in the U.S. primarily to avoid frequency conflicts. I don't even know how many flying fileds we have here in the Phoenix valley but it must be over a dozen not counting the park flyers. For that reason a long range 2.4 system isn't a bad idea.
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old May 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I fly 35MHz in the city too. 2.4GHz in a rural area is probably the worst idea of them all - I mean just look at the frequency band pollution ...

2.4GHz systems were made for regular R/C flying. That is, within visual range. They perform well for that task. Once you start to fly further away FPV, you're in for a lot of trouble ranging from frequency-propagation to frequency-pollution. I'll stop right here and just tell you that you've been warned. You can chose to ignore my warning and go ahead and boost your signal to heart's content - you may even be lucky a couple of flights. In the long term, please use what's proven to work, and not start with something that is proven not to work and try to tune it a little here and there.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Spektrum and long range are mutually exclusive in my book ...

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Closed Thread