Old May 19, 2010, 12:28 PM
Quebec Aerotow Association
Canada, QC, st-jean-sur-richelieu
Joined May 2010
597 Posts
Discussion
Hobbico 60 Mk III - Tower Hobbies Trainer 60 or Tower Hobbies trainer 40

Hi,
I'm trying to choose my first gas trainer. At the local club one member (who happens to own a hobby shop) suggested the Hobbico 60 MkIII with a .60 or .61. The main reason being that in St-Jean it is always windy and that this plane was very stable. I saw the plane fly and it looked very controllable.

I was also looking at the tower hobbies 60 and 40 trainer. Reason being the price on the 40. It's RTF for 239.
**** for this the local guys said that with a .40 i would want to upgrade quickly and would use the .61 in my second plane. (sounds logical but i'm too new to know).

The tower 60 is 114$ but i have to have it shipped. The Hobbico is 179$ local with 15% quebec taxes.

Let me know what your opinions or suggestions are.
thanks
Charlescd is offline Find More Posts by Charlescd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2010, 08:13 PM
Joined Jun 2009
40 Posts
I would go with the Hobbico.
ramboy is offline Find More Posts by ramboy
Old May 20, 2010, 05:06 PM
Wannabe Flyer
United States, IL, Decatur
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
If you do go with the tower hobbie .450 don't buy the RTF the engine, it's garbage and you want a transmitter w. more channels i'm planning on buying a Hangar 9 P-51 mustang PTS

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ent=P-51PTSPOY
MUSTANGP51LOVE is offline Find More Posts by MUSTANGP51LOVE
Old May 23, 2010, 11:37 AM
Look out for trees.
Joined Jun 2009
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGP51LOVE View Post
If you do go with the tower hobbie .450 don't buy the RTF the engine, it's garbage and you want a transmitter w. more channels i'm planning on buying a Hangar 9 P-51 mustang PTS

http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ent=P-51PTSPOY
I agree with this guy.

The TH .46 MKII is a good plane, the TowerHobbies engines are junk.
(frustrated me for months before ripping it out and going electric with it (and now i'll probably put a new .46 O.S. back in it)
The ARF ultimate combo would be good, except for the 4 channel non-computer radio. (it comes with a SuperTigre engine... but not a good radio, and is pricey.)

I recommend going with the guy that owns a local hobby shop... he will help you much more than the extra cost. He will probably give you a discount, will probably virtually give you some glue and foam and small bits... AND his help will be invaluable.

Don't forget you need field equipment (another $100+) (which local guys will probably help out with (everyone has extra stuff they can part with); mail order won't).
Expensive hobby to start off in...

Maybe start with a .40 sized plane if money is tight... i'm sure they will sell you one of those also. As for needing the .60 for next plane... that depends on the next plane.

A .46 AX will fit and work well in ManY planes.
FoldPaper5x is offline Find More Posts by FoldPaper5x