Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 19, 2010, 11:11 AM
Greenwood, IN
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Discussion
A-Justo-Jig II, wing and fuse jig

My great grandfather (Lowell Evans) designed and patented the A-Justo-Jig in the 70's. It was very popular and versatile jig. The fact that people are still using them today says something about the design. Myself and many others have built planes with them and can't see go back to building over plans. You can build two small wings up to 36" at the same time, one large wing up to 72" or set the dihedral to 0 and make a wing up to 144" long.

The jig went away about the time ARF's hit the market. I believe there are still many people that prefer to build their own models from kits or scratch built. If there is enough interest, I would considered making a new version of the A-Justo-Jig with improved materials and features.

I'm planning to do a small CNC production run of just the rib locators using 3/8" polypropylene (wanted to use 6061 aluminum but will cost too much). If anyone has an old A-Justo-Jig with lost or cracked locators, contact me for improved replacements.

borrowed A-Justo-Jig pictures off the net for example
GEARHEAD_ENG is online now Find More Posts by GEARHEAD_ENG
Last edited by GEARHEAD_ENG; May 25, 2010 at 06:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2010, 02:44 PM
USA, Eastern Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
974 Posts
Depending on price, I might be interested.
Tag1260 is offline Find More Posts by Tag1260
Old May 20, 2010, 02:03 PM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,134 Posts
How about a hinged center section so we can build swept back wings on it.

Yes I still use one, and no I wouldn't give it up.
Great jig.

Paul
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
Greenwood, IN
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Good suggestion! I'll see if I can work that into the CAD model I'm putting together. Keep them coming.
Old May 20, 2010, 02:51 PM
Balsa for me, thanks.
Yalova, Turkey
Joined May 2007
835 Posts
Yeah, I'd also be interested depending on the price... what do you figure one would cost?

~Jake
irish_lord99 is offline Find More Posts by irish_lord99
Old May 20, 2010, 07:05 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,162 Posts
I would love to have a complete set up, very nice
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old May 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
Ca. USA
Joined Sep 2008
145 Posts
I also would love to have a complete set up. I am glad you are following through on this. They were neat jigs.
Star7 is offline Find More Posts by Star7
Old May 21, 2010, 05:15 PM
Joined May 2004
1,484 Posts
I have one a friend gave me, but it's not complete
Would be nice if I could get parts for it.
I made a wing jig that was featured in a How To Book put out by RCM I think, or Model Airplane News, not sure, I'll have to get the books out and look and see who published them. But there is a ton of building tips and ideas in them

FOUND THEM !
HOW TO's by Model Airplane News volume 2 and

For What It's Worth by RCM volumes 4 and 6
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Old May 22, 2010, 08:55 AM
Greenwood, IN
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
ErcoupEd, based on the assembly drawing in my first post, which parts are missing? I'm going to try to make a majority of parts interchangeable with the original. Thanks for the info on the jig you made, I'll see if I can get my hands on a book.

Looks like there is a growing interest in a new jig. This project is becoming more of a possibility. Any other improvement suggestions? I'm open to ideas!
Old May 24, 2010, 06:31 AM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
564 Posts
i would be interested in one.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old May 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
USA, PA, Westmoreland Co.
Joined Aug 2008
1,276 Posts
I would be interested in a new complete jig. Hope you consider doing another production run.
jonquinn is offline Find More Posts by jonquinn
Old May 25, 2010, 06:48 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
26 Posts
I would be interested in some locators if you can send them to Australia at a reasonable price.
I bought this jig about 20 years ago, I think from Tower Hobbies. It is fantastic. Even I can put together a wing that requires hardly any trimming on the maiden flight. I have the fuselage jig, but don't use it much any more as I have a homemade fuselage jig on one bench and the wing jig on another bench to build things simultaneously.
A great machine, I hope you can find the justification to make a few more.
Is there any way to cater for washout? That's the only feature I missed when I finally got to build a Spitfire last year.
tb49er is offline Find More Posts by tb49er
Old May 25, 2010, 04:51 PM
Joined May 2004
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEARHEAD_ENG View Post
ErcoupEd, based on the assembly drawing in my first post, which parts are missing? I'm going to try to make a majority of parts interchangeable with the original. Thanks for the info on the jig you made, I'll see if I can get my hands on a book.

Looks like there is a growing interest in a new jig. This project is becoming more of a possibility. Any other improvement suggestions? I'm open to ideas!
Hi Gearhead,
I'll take a close look at it.
I know the end pieces that are somewhat triangular in shape need replaced
The one I made is on a flat board with two pieces of angle iron about 40 inches apart and threaded rod ( two of them)
The rods are about 40 inches long and you thread nuts and washers along on them to hold ribs in place between the washers. Fairly basic in nature
It's in one of my books, so I gave it a try. It does work.
Just takes patience to thread the nuts along the rods and into place

Imagine two nuts with washers on the inside of them, and you thread the nuts into place and the washers act like small miniclamps, one washer on either side of the rib

Okay here is what I am missing. The two end support pieces and the rest of the pieces you show setting under the adjusto-jig in the one picture, which is the alignment rods( part 18) and
whatever else those other pieces are.-Okay just figured those parts out, those would be the fuselage jig parts

I have 26 of the red pieces on the main tube.

Thanks,
ErcoupeEd
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Last edited by ErcoupeEd; May 25, 2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old May 26, 2010, 06:51 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
I would also be interested in a complete jig depending on price.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old May 27, 2010, 01:00 PM
Greenwood, IN
Joined Apr 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb49er View Post
I would be interested in some locators if you can send them to Australia at a reasonable price.
I bought this jig about 20 years ago, I think from Tower Hobbies. It is fantastic. Even I can put together a wing that requires hardly any trimming on the maiden flight. I have the fuselage jig, but don't use it much any more as I have a homemade fuselage jig on one bench and the wing jig on another bench to build things simultaneously.
A great machine, I hope you can find the justification to make a few more.
Is there any way to cater for washout? That's the only feature I missed when I finally got to build a Spitfire last year.
When I get the first run of locators finished I'll let you know the price including shipping to Australia. Here is what they'll end up looking like.