SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 19, 2010, 12:29 AM
Joined May 2010
64 Posts
Question
Electric Water pumps for cooling

I've searched and haven't seen much on this issue. I'm tinkering with a build and I know everyone uses forced water pickups but when you stand still heat is still released from the motor, and the esc. So what about constant cooling. Pro's / Con's??

I ask because I've come across some micro pumps, 1.5-2.5L/m (0.4 - 0.8G/m), .3A, ~50g, 6-12V, and only 20x30mm in size.

Thinking about running it off the BEC or testing on a regular 9V battery separately. Just curious if anyone has really experimented with this. Do you still need to run external pickups, or can you keep it flat with the hull. Does speed of the boat play a role or will the water output remain constant?

Right now I'm just playing with the idea and want some input on what others have tried and found.

Thanks,
JC
dJC_0175 is offline Find More Posts by dJC_0175
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2010, 01:31 AM
www.rcraceboat.com
Jefferson City, MO
Joined Feb 2009
81 Posts
We did a lot of work on that concept and it works great. Read this.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...ad.php?t=10810
Jeff Wohlt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Wohlt
Old May 19, 2010, 08:05 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
Hey djc.............I did just what you are referring to in my big Dumas. Works great, i run it on an "AA" 8 cell pack(toy car pack), it keeps a constant 10-12 inch stream going. When i bring it in I let it sit there for a couple minutes just to cool it more as that is the time the temp starts to go up........after the run. I also have the option of stopping anytime out in the water and it continues cooling.

http://www.ehobbies.com/sot1249.html

Pic of it in action:
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old May 19, 2010, 09:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
172 Posts
I have thought about using a 12 volt windshield washer pump on a lower voltage to reduce the water flow.
Dave
idocdave01 is offline Find More Posts by idocdave01
Old May 19, 2010, 10:06 AM
Joined May 2010
64 Posts
Thanks for the link Jeff. Learned a lot not only on the cooling but also how to build a better Mystery ESC. I may have to try that LOL.

Scorpion - LOOKS GREAT!! What are the specs on that? I haven't been able to find them yet. L/m, G/m, size, weight? How do you pick up the water? Do you find the cooling more or less effective than normal forced water systems? Any information on how speed plays a factor in picking up the water?

idocdave - I like that idea although for the weight you'd be almost better to try a fuel pump from a car. More efficient and possibly lighter depending on the model, but I'm thinking Chevy applications.

I'm definitely going to give this idea a try. Especially this being a commercial BRUSHLESS pump. Rated temp for the pump is -40 - 100+ Celsius. I don't think I'll go as far as making it a closed loop as this is purely for more fun than racing. Just looking at optimizing the cooling of the system with the least amount of weight added. And 100g (~3.5oz) seems like a really good trade off, especially if I can run it off the BEC, or a 9V battery (45g).
dJC_0175 is offline Find More Posts by dJC_0175
Old May 19, 2010, 10:09 AM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,300 Posts
That's exactly why I use an 8 cell even though it's rated for 10 cell, I think with added pressure at full speed it flows about like it would with 10 cells and therefore not over revving the pump motor. This system works great.

Edit: it's about 1 1/2 inches wide and tall and about 4" long, doesn't weigh much at all.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Last edited by scorpion1; May 19, 2010 at 10:24 AM.