HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2011, 07:45 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
I did go ahead and get the smaller 1.09 meter Icon through HobbyKing USA, after finding no easy access to the original smaller Icon kit. Does not appear to be a great motor choice by Hobby King on the smaller Icon, but I predict the motor wil be useable on something else.

The good news is that the horrendous set of decals that Hobby King put on the little Icon do come off cleanly, thank goodness. I think the glossy clear finish applied to the epo foam helped them come off cleanly.

I will have to gen up a set of correct Icon decals. Just for fun, though, I think I will do the red trim in blue on this smaller Icon.

Even though this thread has a fair amount of postings abot the NFD/DX Hobby smaller Icon, (and the thread title does not state that this thread is for the larger Icon, only) it might be worth starting a new thread about this one.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 12:29 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
463 Posts
To earaoz, and et al.

The mixing is from throttle to elevator.
NFD (small) and DZ (big) ICON-A5 seem to have not enough up-thrust on motor towards the nose either.
In the original settings, if you want to approach to land on water after horizontal flight, you may power down.
At this time these planes have a tendency not to reduce altitude or rather to climb up a little and go slow (as if just before starting to stall).
So you want to control elevator-down slightly. But the speed has not enough to change an angle of nose-down soon. You may control more elevator-down immediately. Then the plane starts to fall fast. So you have to elevator up in a moment. This indicates landing sequence is hard to do smoothly.
To avoid this incident, if the throttle position or power is in the landing sequence when you want the plane descends slowly, the program mixing operates the elevator-down adequately. Also itís available that the throttle curve within the landing sequence has gentle angle.

Hope your success

Shige
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:27 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I did go ahead and get the smaller 1.09 meter Icon through HobbyKing USA, after finding no easy access to the original smaller Icon kit...

Even though this thread has a fair amount of postings abot the NFD/DX Hobby smaller Icon, (and the thread title does not state that this thread is for the larger Icon, only) it might be worth starting a new thread about this one.
I've just ordered the HobbyKing 1090mm one too. I was thinking the same thing about a separate thread for it - this one is very long now, and quite mixed up with at least three different sizes of Icon A5 that I've seen so far.

Do you want to start it or shall I?

The lack of a proper name for it on HobbyKings site makes it difficult to search for, here or on Youtube. They call it HobbyKing EPO Seaplane - 1090mm (PNF).

How about this for the new thread title?

HobbyKing Icon A5 Mini aka "HobbyKing EPO Seaplane - 1090mm (PNF)"

EDIT: I've started a thread on HobbyKing's forum to ask for the name to be changed Feel free to join in:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...=157564#157564
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Last edited by Andy2No; Nov 16, 2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:01 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
I went ahead and cranked up the seperate thread for the NFD/HK 1.09 meter Icon A5:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1542084
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:18 PM
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,771 Posts
Good. Thanks, Thomas.

It definitely needs its own thread. It's confusing enough that it doesn't have its own name, without trying to discuss it along with two or three other models, of various sizes.
Andy2No is online now Find More Posts by Andy2No
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:54 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
463 Posts
Hi,everyone.

Finally Iíve finished making the nose gear hatch.
I constructed it on a hull that was made by vacuum foaming.
The hull is made of thin plastic plate, itís reinforced by FRP.
Even though, it still has flexibility, the each center of hinges needs certain continuity.
I made the centers using long carbon rods. This way seems to be correct. Even if the hull will be vended, the hinge shall work.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:06 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Well, I went out to maiden my A5, the large one, today. Nose gear broke before I could start a takeoff run. This was the stock nose wheel. I have not looked to see what broke but it did not come loose from the mount.

Now I start the search for a better nose wheel that does not require massive modifications.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:23 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
lately i have been taking off from dry or wet grass, smooth or rough, on the belly. i havent removed the retracts yet but i intend to... they are still fun to watch cycle in flight - all but useless on the ground though. the nosegear broke on my first taxi attempt on grass before the takeoff attempt, just like waynemia's did.

but the plane has enough juice to get moving on the grass and skid along until it reaches takeoff speed. i know its not ideal... but im stubborn so i do it anyways.

this is on the 1800mm icon from hobbyking, to be clear.

-david
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:42 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
463 Posts
Finally, I finished the retract gears with nose gear hatch.
The hatch works well. I can start next step.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,877 Posts
Tommy and all

I received one as an early Christmas present this year and I've been able to put a dozen or so flights on it at the GSW field. Flights have been on and off the grass with gears up. As with most I broke the nose gear by putting the landing gear servo arm on backwards and snapped the lever that pulls the gear up and down. No harm to mains but nose gear trashed. As I was ready to fly the next day I just folded the nose gear up and added a little vinyl tape over the well itself. Folded the mains and went out and flew. handled well on its belly and came off the damp grass with little or no problem. Once wings went level it was airborn with only minimal trim to roll and pitch. Flying coupled rudder and aileron so it flew very gently. Not a bad power package on six 2300 cells. I'm getting about 6 minutes with a reserve with most of the flying done at 60 percent throttle or less. I did add a carbon fibre rod inside the aluminum joiner for the wings just in case as mine was the thin walled rod. Looped it a couple of times and done a few barrel rolls and cuban 8's for the hell of it. Noticed no pitch changes with flaps at 20 and 40 degrees with or without power. It lands very slowly even without the flaps but they are worth the trouble and expense of adding. The ship went together well and everything came out true so I can't complain to much there. All in all a nice flying machine although I hate the Zaggy rip from the prop at higher power settings. It took me a few passes to figure that one as it has been years since I have seen a Zaggy flying by. Look forward to putting it in the water but its just to dang cold right now to mess with. Happy Holidays. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Video 1800mm Icon A5

Here is the maiden and second flight of my HK 1800mm Icon A5. I did have to change the nose gear to an all metal version, also ordered from HK. I used the original nose wheel. We have a rough grass field and the nose wheel is bending. I will probably have to fabricate a new one.

Maiden

Hobby King 1800mm ICON A5 Scale RC Plane (6 min 18 sec)

Second Flight

Hobby King ICON A5 - 1800mm - Second Flight (4 min 9 sec)
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
463 Posts
[QUOTE=waynemia;20360837]Here is the maiden and second flight of my HK 1800mm Icon A5. I did have to change the nose gear to an all metal version, also ordered from HK. I used the original nose wheel. We have a rough grass field and the nose wheel is bending. I will probably have to fabricate a new one.

Nice maiden and second flight!
Your feather-touch touch downs ware great!
Is its nose gear tougher than previous lots? Or your touch downs were fantastic.
Anyway I'm waiting your videos up that your ICON-A5 take off and touch down on the water.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:20 PM
Stockton CA.
Joined May 2007
737 Posts
marked
lrplin is offline Find More Posts by lrplin
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Salt water

Hi, I live near salt water and was thinking of flying a seaplane and this plane looks to be the one. Anyone flying this off salt water? What impact does the salt have on the retracts or EPO. I know it's not good on electronics but your thoughts are appreciated.
Harold
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Jan 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Hi, I live near salt water and was thinking of flying a seaplane and this plane looks to be the one. Anyone flying this off salt water? What impact does the salt have on the retracts or EPO. I know it's not good on electronics but your thoughts are appreciated.
Harold
Not sure how much effect the salt water will have on the EPO foam, but I would guess not all that much. There are enough mild steel and aluminum parts in the retracts that they will need to be extensively cleaned after every excursion into salt water. Personally, I woudl remove them if flyign from salt water.

The only way to protect your radio is to seal it off from the salt water. The few guys that have done this over the years typically build a waterproof box with a plexiglass lid that seals it. Keep some dessicant packs in the box to prevent consedsation from temp chages. Pushrods exit with flexible joints, something like balloon necks. If wires exit the box, they can be sealed with a dap of RTV silicone. Servos in the wing and tail will need to be sealed into the foam with a plastic hatch and a silicone RTV form in place seal, with a flexible pushrod seal, again like a balloon neck.

Electric motor wise, I am not sure what would be the best approach. ESC, I think sealing it in a couple of plastic bags with dessicant packs and electronics grade non corrosive RTV silicone seal where the wires exit the bags. Lipo and battery connectors need to be in the "dry box" in the fuse, as described above.

The standard Corrosion-X treatment would be mandatory.

Lots of extra work and maintainence, when the best bet is to not expose your expensive electronics to salt water.

I would estimate more time cleaning and maintaining than flying time, perhaps at a 2-1 ratio.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel