HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2010, 05:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
22 Posts
Big A5 1.8 m

Hi Dabb I just got my A5 too found no manual . Just wanna ask you did u have to apply some ''water proofing'" before you take it first flight on water ? which area was leaking much

Thanks
Ken
Jakarta
kenfiori is offline Find More Posts by kenfiori
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:13 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
I am ordering servo and have not started to build yet.

Here is land flight video by ready2fly It seems they had an issue with retract. (linkage loosened?) It is slipping badly when turning. Tail volume is not large enough as being a scale plane? Let's see.
Giant ICON A5 EPO 6S ready2fly.com (5 min 0 sec)

Ken, I have PMed scanned manual. Hope that helps.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:28 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Hi all - Like Jurgen, I purchased the Icon A5 from nfdhobby.com via bank transfer. I did purchase the 70" (1800mm) model though which comes with mechanical retracts. As stated above, the shipping was expensive at about $70 to NY state. I am running a Turnigy 400KV outrunner in it with a 60A ESC. I am turning an 11" prop on it. It does use 7 servos. (2) for flaps. (2) for ailerons. (1) ELevator. (1) landing gear and (1) for rudder/nose gear steering. I have (2) 1500MAh Lipo batteries hooked up in series for 6S operation. (22V). (which is required)

The finish on the plane was quite nice and everything was sturdy and strong. The main problems I had were:

1 - The manual was not sent with it. They informed me they would send it when it is complete. Not a biggie, BUT, I am unsure of where the COG should be. Does anyone have an idea?

2 - They forgot to send a motor mount. (I assume?) But it was no big deal and I made one up using 1/8" ply.

The A5 flew fairly well even though I was guessing at the COG point. The ROW was fairly quick and I was only at about 3/4 stick. I only had her up in the air a few minutes and noticed it was doing a little tail wag at times. What would cause that? COG not right?

All in all its a nice plane with nice workmanship. It comes with all the pushrods, wheels and other associated hardware. I will have some more test flights and report back what else I have found. I posted a brief video of take-off and a 360 degree view of the plane. See my blog for some more unassembled pics.
What was the USD price?
Did you get the manual?
How did you order it, their WEB site, email, telephone?
How did you pay for it?
How long did it take to get to you?

Nice video BTW.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Oct 25, 2010, 05:58 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
What was the USD price?
Did you get the manual?
How did you order it, their WEB site, email, telephone?
How did you pay for it?
How long did it take to get to you?

Nice video BTW.

Glen
Price was $86 + $70 shipping from China. I had to pay via T/T (wire transfer) only. I had emailed them to order and they were very good getting back to me with status updates etc. It took about 4 weeks to get to me only because they were out of stock. Once they shipped it, it only took 3 days to reach my house. Shipping was steep but that was expected, the only other choice is a RTF model @ $399.00 from a US dist.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:55 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,607 Posts
baddb1,

Thanks for the information. I am not familiar with wire transfer. Do I presume correctly that I do that through my bank?

Glen
Old Oct 25, 2010, 06:56 AM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Well, I had (2) more flights on her this weekend. Niether of which were very good. I found a "weak spot" in her.
First off, on my first flight there was about a 5mph wind, and taxiing on the water was a problem. Unless I was heading dead straight into the wind, the wing tip would plunge into the water making take-off impossible. This plane either needs wing sponsons or a larger fuse area that will hold it stable in the water. This was in only a 5 mph breeze too!! If its calm then your ok...

Second problem and by far the biggest!! I waited for the breeze to die down. Once the water was flat I took off with no problems, I was gently flying her around for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden, the wings folded up,, and down she came from about 40ft. I went out to retrieve her and found that the aluminum tube that holds the wings in alignment and to the fuse had bent!! Keep in mind I wasn't doing any high G manuevers either! So maybe it was a faulty piece,, or maybe they need something a little thicker?
I guess the good thing is that the rest of the plane did not get damaged much. Just a chunk out of the left flap from the prop hitting it.
Sooo,, until I get a replacement tube, ,, I'm grounded..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by baddb1; Oct 25, 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 07:38 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,607 Posts
Quote:
<snip> I was gently flying her around for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden, the wings folded up,, and down she came from about 40ft. I went out to retrieve her and found that the aluminum tube that holds the wings in alignment and to the fuse had bent!! Keep in mind I wasn't doing any high G manuevers either! So maybe it was a faulty piece,, or maybe they need something a little thicker?
Could you insert a dowel rod into the aluminum tube to strengthen it? I wouldn't think that would add a significant amount of weight.

Glen
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:15 AM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Could you insert a dowel rod into the aluminum tube to strengthen it? I wouldn't think that would add a significant amount of weight.

Glen
Good idea!! Do you think a dowel rod by itelf will be ok? I have a feeling getting a replacement alum. tube could take awhile from the manufacturer!

BTW - yes, Your bank should be able to do a wire transfer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 08:50 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,607 Posts
Quote:
Good idea!! Do you think a dowel rod by itelf will be ok? I have a feeling getting a replacement alum. tube could take awhile from the manufacturer!

BTW - yes, Your bank should be able to do a wire transfer.
I think it should be a dowel inside the aluminum tube. The rod probably doesn't have to be full length. Probably the middle third would be enough. Secure it with a spot or two of epoxy. Check places like Home Depot for a replacement tube. I know they have some but don't know the sizes. If they don't have the exact size maybe one a bit smaller would do if wrapped with tape.

Glen
Old Oct 25, 2010, 09:20 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear the accident and I am glad to see the damage is not destructive.

How were main wings secured together? Manual shows to glue piece of wood on the groove of the wing root but I do not see it in your photo. Aluminum pipe is weak to be bent especially there are some gap. Holding 2.5kg plane wings with tiny bolt may not be enough. Thank you for a warning. I will think to add additional hold on the front side the wing, together with pipe reignforcement.

Thanks.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:42 AM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
Wow, sorry to hear the accident and I am glad to see the damage is not destructive.

How were main wings secured together? Manual shows to glue piece of wood on the groove of the wing root but I do not see it in your photo. Aluminum pipe is weak to be bent especially there are some gap. Holding 2.5kg plane wings with tiny bolt may not be enough. Thank you for a warning. I will think to add additional hold on the front side the wing, together with pipe reignforcement.

Thanks.

Satoru
Yes, look at my motor mount. The tabs on either side of it were secured to the wing. Also, on the underside of the wing, two small wood tabs were glued in place per manual. (they were done at the factory) Your right, the tiny screws are not much to hold wooden piece and wing down. Next time I will add larger screws and washers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:46 AM
I'd rather be flying
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Quote:
I think it should be a dowel inside the aluminum tube. The rod probably doesn't have to be full length. Probably the middle third would be enough. Secure it with a spot or two of epoxy. Check places like Home Depot for a replacement tube. I know they have some but don't know the sizes. If they don't have the exact size maybe one a bit smaller would do if wrapped with tape.

Glen
Thanks for your input and funny you should say that, I just got back from the Home Depot and they had no aluminum tube but they did have an aluminum rod. I believe the solid rod should be stonger? Of course it will add some weight which I need to check on. If it is too much weight I will search for a tube....
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:30 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,607 Posts
baddb1,

Tower Hobbies has aluminium tubing in several sizes although only in 12" lengths.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...ube%3C%2FB%3Es

You might check other hobby shop sites.

I just remembered another source. Lengths to 6 ft.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-tubing/=9fj48g

Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Oct 25, 2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 12:58 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
Wow Baddb1 sorry to hear about your in-flight failure.
On the ready2fly video, they are flying pretty normally, and not folding a wing. I wonder if they have increased the tube thickness since your's shipped? They may also have simply slipped a wood dowel into the tube to keep it from deforming. Didn't you mention that the wings have aluminum tubes in them that the joiner sits in? I think I can see them in your pic. Initially, I thought these were a good idea, but looking at your failure, they make the wing extra stiff, so that in a gust condition, all the flexing must happen right at the joint. Also they present a hard edge that will tend to crush the joiner tube at that point. A thicker fiberglass or carbon rod is definetly going to be a better choice than aluminum. If you get a tube, I would mix epoxy and fill at least the center section where it sees the corners of that wing insert to prevent it from crushing. Go to a Kite shop or search for carbon fiber tubes on line.

The tipping in any wind is another problem. I was wondering if that would be an issue. I know that a number of full sized seaplanes lack tip floats, but almost all RC seaplanes have them. I think it might be a scale issue as a plane is shrunk: as you scale a plane up or down, not everything changes in the same way, Wing span changes nornally, but wing area increases as a square, and float volume increases as a cube. This is why a full sized seaplane has floats that look tiny compared to an RC plane. If we just scaled everything down, the floats wouldn't displace enough water and the plane would sink. It's also the reason the aquastar sits so low compared to a seamaster, and why the sandbird was never a good water plane.
Could you mock up some right on the tips like the seawind has? That would at least keep the wing from getting under the water and sticking, then with full up as the plane gains a little speed, it should pop the wing free.
Looking at the video closer, I see some of the wagging you mentioned, it's easier to see in 420dpi on full screen. The more I see of this, the more I suspect that the vertical tail is too small to stabilize the huge nose this has. I would be tempted to hot glue a depron addition to the rudder, making it wider. That is what I did to my twinstar seaplane, and it really tamed things down.

I am really saddened to see all the problems this plane has. I was hoping to have a big foam seaplane to do some FPV work with, but the tipping and the wagging really put the damper on it all. It's a pitty too because the Icon is such a pretty plane. Hopefully, with a few mods it will work out. I think Chinese designed RC planes are a bit like beta testing software. At least we arn't actually riding in them....
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Last edited by lupy; Oct 25, 2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 02:46 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
One other note. Someone made and posted an Icon A5 in the swap pages of realflight G5.5, so anyone that has the latest version can try it out. It's a really well done plane with folding wings, and a pop up canopy, and is about the size of the 1800mm version. Like all Realflight versions of seaplanes, it dosn't taxi very realistically on water, but it's fun to try out.

Out of curiosity, I moded and saved a verson with an extreamly small vert stab. This version was still stable untill the the tail got really tiny and I added some wind gusts, but it flew with the nose high in turns, transitioning to steep dives unpredictably, which is a common problem with some small tailled seaplanes. I expect that Realflight just dosn't have enough randomness built into the code to really model what happens. They seem to model tip stalls OK, but that is a much more common problem with RC planes.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy