HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:16 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
steady hand...... 'Al' ...needs to change hands...

some good flying
Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2011, 06:27 PM
Orlando Int, Florida, United States
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
Maidened this last weekend. Flew off the water because I didn't feel like driving all the way to the nice paved field to potentially come back with a broken nosegear.

The thing flies great. Flew it on Saturday completely stock, I guess I'm a little noseheavy as it needed some up elevator, and a little left aileron. Flew pretty good though!

It flew well enough to make me confident enough to mount my gopro on it just ahead of the engine fairing/scoop. Took some video and I couldn't even really notice the camera affecting the flying qualities. In fact I think it may even have flown better?

I'll post a link to the video if I post it. Just generic rc flying off water though, nothing really special.

First flight was about 6 minutes, used 800mah; Sunday with the camera on board I flew 7 minutes and used 900mah, out of the $45 3000mah 6s battery (turnigy 30c?) so I should be able to milk it for at least 20 minutes eventually. I think I was at 70-90% throttle most of the time cuz I wasnt real comfortable getting to slow just yet. Flaps really help with low speed handling too however, on landing.

My only 2 complaints are that it really takes on water, need to seal up all the holes. The other is that the low speed taxiing/ water handling is pretty bad, though that might have had something to do with all the water it had taken on, and the 5-10mph breeze wasn't helping either I'm sure. What it does is tip over onto either wingtip. To get out of it u hafta use the rudder and opposite aileron , but when it comes free from the water be ready to catch it from digging the opposite wingtip. Once you get up on step however it's easier, drives kinda like an rc boat, careful not to dig a wingtip too hard, it switches ends real quick.

Hopefully I can fly again this weekend. I may take the retracts out altogether to save weight for an FPV system.... But then I'm committed to flying off of water or wet grass... Decisions, decisions...

-david
hawaiianspork226 is offline Find More Posts by hawaiianspork226
Old Jun 08, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yes it does leak badly , I did some taxi/take-off runs to see how it handled and after 4/5 min it had a cup and a half of water sloshing around , luckily I have prof-ed all my electronics with Corrosion X and I stuck my speedy on the roof........so I have taken all the bottom plastic off to check for leaks and removed ALL the retracts and filled in those holes with foam and Gorilla glue....and recovered the forward hull with stronger thicker plastic sheet
I also painted the cabin perimeter with release agent and ran a good bead of Silicone RTV around the edges , to make a better fitting 'Gasket' ....
So now the only place water can get in is the wing roots where the flap and aileron leads enter....oh and I run some tape over the cockpit front as well
The weather here is crap this time of year , but will be taking my water planes to a big float flyin end of the month.......IF we get lucky with the weather

Cheers

Ian
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Jun 09, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
i have yet to try that corrosion X stuff... if it works as well as its been claimed i would be a fool not to apply it to all my radio and FPV gear for water flying...

that gasket idea is a good one... i might need to borrow that.... thanks!

good luck with the weather!

-david
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Thats right , it will save your speedy , reciever..ect......all the seaplane thread guys use it...it works
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:33 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
Thats right , it will save your speedy , reciever..ect......all the seaplane thread guys use it...it works
where can I get it? How long does it last? Do I need to do it before each day of flying?
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:31 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
where can I get it? How long does it last? Do I need to do it before each day of flying?
Thoroughly spray each piece and let it drip dry. Some just coat them once but I re-coat my electronics every spring before the start of float flying.

http://www.shop.corrosiontechcorp.com/CorrosionX_c2.htm
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:56 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
@Fly-in

Congratulations on maidens!

I attended local water fly event this Sunday. 3 1.8m ICON A5s gathered together.

A bit windy day, wave was high with wind from behind. I continued to have difficulty to balance it on water but I got some idea for improvement.

I observed my ICON A5 is suffering prop torque. Mine has largest 12x6x3 prop. I ended up to load battery to counter the prop torque. My friend's with smaller prop was better.

This flying field is best with nice water slope. ICON A5 retract worked very well to get to water or to beach.

You can see other gorgeous planes attended the event, including huge twin 90mm EDF Berief A40. I borrowed one photo from the site.
http://www.geocities.jp/sachiekoyama/110605/0605.html

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jun 09, 2011, 05:17 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBC View Post
Just Google like I just did..........

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-distributors.html

cheers
Ian

BTW...its the RED one you need...and one treatment is all you need...as BB1 said if you want you can do it each season once a year
Last edited by SON OF PALEFACE; Jun 09, 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,151 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post18461908

link to pictures of the gopro install on the 1.8m icon, for the curious

-david
Old Jun 15, 2011, 08:21 AM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Just Google like I just did..........

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-distributors.html

cheers
Ian

BTW...its the RED one you need...and one treatment is all you need...as BB1 said if you want you can do it each season once a year

Ian, where can I buy some in Oz.

John
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
As far as I know , you cant , email the makers there mite B a new distributor here...I got a friend in USA to send it to me

Some very nice person on this thread might offer to get you some ...hint hint..
Or you could ask on the Seaplane thread , a kind person there might help

Cheers
Ian
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:32 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Ok John , Ive made contact with the agent in NZ and will report back what he sez re suppling me with a case of 500ml bottles

Cheers
Ian
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:42 PM
Space is the answer
Australia, VIC, Warneet
Joined Mar 2011
368 Posts
Quote:
Ok John , Ive made contact with the agent in NZ and will report back what he sez re suppling me with a case of 500ml bottles

Cheers
Ian
Thanks very much Ian I await your reply.

Cheers
John

PS: Still waiting for HK to stock the 750 to 860 KV bell's for the Minimoa.
ozair is offline Find More Posts by ozair
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yeah shouldnt be too much longer....mines never missed a beat...

The NZ agent for Corrosion X is off the planet...wanted $55.00 nz for a 500ml trigger pack and I had to buy 12.........

Start asking around the threads , someone might be kind.....

Cheers
Ian