HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2011, 11:11 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2006
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfly! View Post
thomas, you are correct i used the 602 after carving some of the foam to accomodate the new retract. I had several flights with this setup and no issues so it seems to work.
many thx bit windy to fly some pictures though
motronic is offline Find More Posts by motronic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2011, 06:38 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,503 Posts
Maiden flight:

HK 1.8m Icon A5 - First Flight (1 min 58 sec)
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Last edited by Downwind3Zero; May 03, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old May 03, 2011, 07:16 PM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Finally I had a chance to fly my 1800mm ICON A5 in reasonable weather. Repaired broken fuse with some reinforcement (applied carbon tow) and now it is rigid, replaced gear servo with larger one. I have not increased volume of sponsons yet.

It flew good on water in moderate wind. Can take off well with small flap down. It can land very slow, or can land and continue to plane ok. I flipped it once to take off too slow.

ICON is sensitive to CG position, also sensitive CG height and center. It will not stand straight if I mount battery side of cockpit. It was noticeably unstable if I mount battery high on top of nose gear linkage. I ended up to add some ballast (temporary small battery pack) to get correct CG for me.

It is very prone to wind on water. Due to lack of sponson volume, it was difficult to turn in moderate wind when other float planes (even high winged planes) do not have difficulty.

It can fly in very small area slow, close to pilot. It is ok as far as it points windward, it can take off and land beautifully. I will plan to increase sponson volume somehow.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old May 03, 2011, 10:45 PM
Obessive Compulsive
Visalia, California
Joined Mar 2010
1,300 Posts
Congrats on your Maidens. !!!
DaveBC is offline Find More Posts by DaveBC
Old May 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
ICON is sensitive to CG position, also sensitive CG height and center. It will not stand straight if I mount battery side of cockpit. It was noticeably unstable if I mount battery high on top of nose gear linkage. I ended up to add some ballast (temporary small battery pack) to get correct CG for me.

............................ I will plan to increase sponson volume somehow.

Satoru
I was worried about the off center Cg as a result of battery location issue, as well....luckily, I had a spare pair pair of 4S 2200mAh Turnigy nanotech 25c packs (did not quite measure up as competitive packs for electric Formula One racing) and was able to do a balanced installation, with one pack on each side of the nose gear pushrods. (as motronic did above, in post 331)

As nice as the fuse servo tray is, might be worth cutting it away and getting the batteries even lower.

I am planning for the first water flights in two weeks at a seaplane event and I am definitely going to increase sponson volume before I try it out on water....have high hopes it will help.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 07, 2011, 01:54 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Good luck for the first flight. Yes, 2 packs in parallel will be the best to get balanced. I am not sure I want to place the pack lower to avoid water. Mine does have water leaked in from somewhere after each flight.
I also plan to attend water plane event early June. That place is large river where wave is not calm. I need to think about neat way to increase volume.

Satoru
[QUOTE=Thomas B;18146521]I was worried about the off center Cg as a result of battery location issue, as well....luckily, I had a spare.../QUOTE]
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old May 08, 2011, 12:27 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
the SMALLER A5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Judy did a great job of hand launching the Guan'Li version of the Icon A5,
and it hardly needed any trim. It was a beautiful test-flight. We are ready to take it to the float-fly.
Hi Lancer:
You are referring to the smaller A5 here, correct?

Do you (or anyone else out there) mind sharing their motor/prop/esc/battery setup for the smaller A5?

I picked up a kit version yesterday...
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 09, 2011, 07:25 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
bye
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Last edited by Lancer31; May 09, 2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old May 09, 2011, 08:52 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined May 2007
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
Hi Lancer:
You are referring to the smaller A5 here, correct?

Do you (or anyone else out there) mind sharing their motor/prop/esc/battery setup for the smaller A5?

I picked up a kit version yesterday...
Rob
KD A22-15M Brushless Outrunner, 2200 3s battery as I found this is the only one I can use with out adding any extra ballast. 35Amp ESC and a GWS 9x5x3 prop.

I had to cut the step deeper for it to take off water. With out the mod it would dive when I added power to take off turning into submarine

A-5 by HobbyKing (4 min 45 sec)
Vasy is offline Find More Posts by Vasy
Last edited by Vasy; May 09, 2011 at 09:03 AM.
Old May 09, 2011, 08:52 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined May 2007
637 Posts
My unsuccessful maiden flight.

Broke the tail off. Managed to fix it and flew after. Will post a short video that got to shoot before the camera battery died.
Old May 09, 2011, 09:36 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Quote:
I had to cut the step deeper for it to take off water. With out the mod it would dive when I added power to take off turning into submarine
Vasy:
Thanks for the motor info. Can you clarify what you mean by diving under power? Are you stating that without the deeper step...and before it takes off from the water...throttling up causes the plane to submerge?

Would you say that the motor/prop/battery combo you are using provides more than enough power? Lastly, did you have to raise the motor or cut a notch into the tail boom to fit the 9" prop?
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old May 09, 2011, 03:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
We might want to keep this thread for the two NfD Icon models and post info about the Guanli Icon over in the thread about the Guanli Icon.

This would help prevent any confusion in this thread by readers.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old May 09, 2011, 05:47 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasy View Post
My unsuccessful maiden flight.

Broke the tail off. Managed to fix it and flew after. Will post a short video that got to shoot before the camera battery died.
Sorry to see that, glad you got her going again!
Chris
PS: Treeplane
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old May 10, 2011, 01:29 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined May 2007
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero View Post
Sorry to see that, glad you got her going again!
Chris
PS: Treeplane
Battery was about to die in the camera, so just did a quick take off / land
I find the plane flies not bad at all, I like it better compare to the mini A-5.

Icon A5 into the tree (1 min 40 sec)

Short Icon A-5 flight (0 min 49 sec)
Old May 10, 2011, 09:32 AM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
She seemed a bit underpowered and tail heavy from the video. Did you use the stock setup?
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor