HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:29 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
462 Posts
I agree with AussieHoppy, from a second moment of area of view.
Of course it's also my opinion only.
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Piranha EP boat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:40 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Well mines finished , just waiting for the silicone water proofing around the cockpit to cure...mite have to fit spray rails...will see

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:11 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,852 Posts
i'm assuming the spray rails are to reduce the amount of water creeping up beside the cockpit? or to push the water downwards to increase planing earlier?

let us know how you go please Ian...
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:38 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
both of those as well as pehaps helping to keep spray out of the prop........
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Feb 15, 2011, 01:21 AM
Joined May 2010
2,852 Posts
i would like to know what success you have there, i'll be looking at putting the vid tx part way out on a wing, but i'd prefer to put it on the tail, which makes me just a tad nervous regarding water spray...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AussieHoppy; Feb 15, 2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:01 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,501 Posts
Has anyone flown theirs? Was the COG at 75mm adequate?
Chris
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
Old Feb 17, 2011, 04:50 AM
Italy, Tuscany
Joined Apr 2006
100 Posts
kv motor adeguate for 4 or 5 lipo?
Motor 750kv 45A is ok?
Prop 10x7 tri blade

thanks for help
kitaro is offline Find More Posts by kitaro
Old Feb 18, 2011, 05:42 PM
Joined May 2010
2,852 Posts
hi guys... well I now have a reason to fibreglass the tail lol

failed attempted to maiden this morning

took my cessna up for 3 batteries worth of flying, wanted to get my thumbs working again coz it's been a while since the last time i flew, cessna flew faultlessly, as always... she's my keeper

eFlite 25
11 x 8 x 2 blade
2 x 3000mah 4S
FrSky 2.4
A bit weighty AUW, but thought i'd go the bigger packs so once 3 mistakes high i could stay up for a while and sort trimming etc
nil wind

Icon... ground checks... range check... all good... did a retracted undercarriage belly slide taxi (grass looked just a tad too high for the flimsy nose gear so i didnt even try), slid along supurbly gaining speed easily. doesnt like to turn while belly on grass obviously, but really scooted along and tracked well.
Lowered the flaps 1st stage, gradually opened the throttle, she lifted sooner than i thought with almost no elev input! kept her approx 3' off the ground gaining air speed... then she started porpoising.... more and more... the went into corkscrewing... reduced power, no improvement... wingtip touched ground, cut the throttle as she nosed in enough to flip on her back.

Only apparent damage is the main wing root is dislodged which doesnt worry me to glue back in place anyway.... and the all too thin tail section snapped clean through... easy glue fix but i'll take the time to fibreglass this time.

I think a combination of pilot error and/or poor judgement on my behalf... i should not have loaded her up on 6000mah of batteries for the maiden.
And next time i wont use flaps on my maiden- i never use flaps on maiden flights until all is trimmed, but thought with the weight i'd use first stage...

The only other questionable thing is that this is the first time I have used FrSky for RC... but I sincerely dont believe it was the radio at fault, no telemetry beeps, seemed solid.
I'm going to remove the FrSky RC Rx from the Icon & fly my trusty olde FMS P51 with it, just to make sure all is good.

One other doubt.... the manual states COG is at the servo wire groove... now to balance at this point I have my 2 x 3000mah batts probably 1/3rd into the cavity BEHIND the ply cockpit... how is everyone else finding their COG?

she's such a different plane to all else i fly, i have no idea why she initially flew straight 2-3 feet off the ground then went funky on me... perhaps ground effect masked being tail heavy at first? I dunno.... but i definately will be repairing to have another shot, unfortunately i dont have the time right now though.... it's taken this long just to get to maiden lol

cheers guys!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Feb 19, 2011, 03:43 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,501 Posts
Tail

Reinforced the tail with CF rods sunk in the foam. Just Dremeled out a groove and glued them in, spackled with foam putty and will cover with white tape strips. Makes a real difference.
Chris
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:43 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
812 Posts
Just got done reading the entire thread... lots of great info.
I got my 1800mm Icon last week and came here to find out all the goodies first, before starting the build.

Does anyone have a video of the "tail wiggle" in flight?
This will be an FPV plane. I hardly fly any LOS anymore...
I have a skywalker that has a very flimsy tail. It moves all over when testing on the bench, but flies great. I have lots of hours FPVing it "stock"

I think I will build the Icon stock for the first flight, then work on the mods.
This plane will never see water... and never see a paved runway either. I am wondering how much weight could be saved dumping the landing gear.

We will see how it flies stock first then start changing things...LOL

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:20 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,501 Posts
Hey Gundy, mine won't be seeing any hard surface (I hope) only water/snow, dumped the front wheel, the rear LG rod can't be removed w/o cutting open the foam.
Chris
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:58 PM
Blu-Core is my friend
La Crosse, WI
Joined Apr 2006
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero View Post
Hey Gundy, mine won't be seeing any hard surface (I hope) only water/snow, dumped the front wheel, the rear LG rod can't be removed w/o cutting open the foam.
Chris

landing gear comes out easy... well sorta.
loosen all the set screws (3 of them)
take off the sponsins (not sure how to spell that) thanks to the poor job of gluing done in china they pop right off.
next, slide out the rod.
The front gear was easy. DRILL out the 3 screws... they only put 3 in and they stripped all three slid it all out.
Total weight 160gr
Why not take off the water rudder and put a new rod all the way to air rudder?? Done.
Much less in the hull now one servo for the rudder.
It is going to be sooooo easy to set up the wiring for the FPV, everything will be so easy to get to.

Motor test:
using supplied motor and prop
Plush 60a ESC
2 - 3s packs 4000mah to make 6s
19amps 485watts (thats with a fresh pack over 25v) ohms law works!
Need to mount the radio tonight. No on-board video until after the the test flight.

Later,
Gundy
Gundy is offline Find More Posts by Gundy
Old Feb 24, 2011, 08:00 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
What is the total weight of your setup including batteries? With only 485 Watts I wonder how easy it will be to take off from water. I like the low current draw. What prop did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundy View Post
landing gear comes out easy... well sorta.
loosen all the set screws (3 of them)
take off the sponsins (not sure how to spell that) thanks to the poor job of gluing done in china they pop right off.
next, slide out the rod.
The front gear was easy. DRILL out the 3 screws... they only put 3 in and they stripped all three slid it all out.
Total weight 160gr
Why not take off the water rudder and put a new rod all the way to air rudder?? Done.
Much less in the hull now one servo for the rudder.
It is going to be sooooo easy to set up the wiring for the FPV, everything will be so easy to get to.

Motor test:
using supplied motor and prop
Plush 60a ESC
2 - 3s packs 4000mah to make 6s
19amps 485watts (thats with a fresh pack over 25v) ohms law works!
Need to mount the radio tonight. No on-board video until after the the test flight.

Later,
Gundy
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:32 PM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
462 Posts
Small ICON-A5(NFD s288)

Hi all.
A main topic is big ICON(A488) though, I got a good result in small ICON(s288).
Please check a video.

Thank you.

ICON A5 very best of touch and go (3 min 40 sec)
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Piranha EP boat
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:52 PM
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Nov 2005
93 Posts
Nice!!
mmmdowning is offline Find More Posts by mmmdowning