SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 03, 2011, 06:44 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,869 Posts
I'm telling u Mongrel, the cockpit is HUGE for an 1800 wingspan! Not only is the cockpit huge, but immediately behind the cockpit (under the wing) there's another large cavity! I'm in the midst of moving house at the moment, so I've been without internet & yet another couple of weeks before I'm online again.
Still hoping to maiden Sunday, but if not, then early next week, I'll let y'all know.
Cheers
Hoppy
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2011, 07:17 AM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,746 Posts
OK thanks!! Am keen on your report!

Cheers
Mongrel
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:01 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
Just checked, and these are in the HK USA warehouse, in stock. Under $200 for members with motor and servos, and it seems to qualify for $.01 shipping! I know I bad mouthed HK a few pages back for forcing us to take an unknown motor and servos with their kit, but it's pretty tempting now with no import problems, and at that price, even if the extras are junk, it's hard to resist. If I wasn't so busy these days, I would jump on one.
lupy is offline Find More Posts by lupy
Old Feb 03, 2011, 08:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,746 Posts
So here is a question....

If it needs a 6S battery, can you safely make a harness to join 2 X 3S packs? Or am I asking for my packs to be deaded!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:09 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
So here is a question....

If it needs a 6S battery, can you safely make a harness to join 2 X 3S packs? Or am I asking for my packs to be deaded!!!
It is very common to put two 3S packs in series to get a 6S pack for a model. I use 2S, 3S, 4S and 5S packs to get 6S, 7S, 8S, 9S and 10S packes.

If you are using the common Deans T connector, you can even get a series adapter ready made at the hobby shop. Or you can wire up one yourself using one female connector and two male connectors.

Obviously they have to be the same capacity and brand and it is best to use packs of the same age and levels of use.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 04, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 01:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,746 Posts
Cool! I did use the deans, but have buggered them off for the XT60 connectors
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:28 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
If you use a turnigy inflight voltage monitor, you can wire a jumper to connect both 3 cell pack voltage taps into one big 6 cell tap, and watch all the cells in real time while flying. I did this with a 4 cell pack, and started to notice one cell was sagging badly way before the others. When running a 6 cell pack, I would not trust a normal LVC to protect your battery, as one low cell will be masked by the other strong cells. Otherwise, you are left flying blind and must land well before you think the battery is empty.
Old Feb 04, 2011, 02:01 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Cool! I did use the deans, but have buggered them off for the XT60 connectors
You will need these.....then

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10264

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Feb 04, 2011, 05:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy View Post
If you use a turnigy inflight voltage monitor, you can wire a jumper to connect both 3 cell pack voltage taps into one big 6 cell tap, and watch all the cells in real time while flying. I did this with a 4 cell pack, and started to notice one cell was sagging badly way before the others. When running a 6 cell pack, I would not trust a normal LVC to protect your battery, as one low cell will be masked by the other strong cells. Otherwise, you are left flying blind and must land well before you think the battery is empty.
That happened to me yesterday! Was flying my tricopter and had a bad cell on a new battery - result = Crash!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:58 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
I wonder?

As near as I can tell, the motor supplied is very close to Hobby King's KDA36-08XL, 1000 KV, which appears to be able to spin a 12X6 prop at 10,000 RPM, on 11.1 Volts. Why would you want to double that voltage to 22.2 Volts?
Of course, there may be things about the motors that come with the kit that
I do not know. Be that as it may, I will probably use 3 cells, until I learn more.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Feb 05, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
As near as I can tell, the motor supplied is very close to Hobby King's KDA36-08XL, 1000 KV, which appears to be able to spin a 12X6 prop at 10,000 RPM, on 11.1 Volts. Why would you want to double that voltage to 22.2 Volts?
Of course, there may be things about the motors that come with the kit that
I do not know. Be that as it may, I will probably use 3 cells, until I learn more.
It says the motor is 500Kv.......

So 11volts X 500 = 5500 RPM.........

I dont think that will fly the plane

I will be giving mine a run up next week , but I think your gunna need 5-6s

Ian
Old Feb 08, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
You are quite right!

I had not looked at the literature that came with the model, but it is a 500KV motor. I may swap out the motor for the 1000KV version.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Feb 08, 2011, 10:34 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy View Post
Whats the part number on the Turnigy monitor you have? I think I should get one, I'm getting a large collection of batteries and some seem like they are going bad.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2011, 12:04 PM
Fuzzy Member
Renton WA
Joined Oct 2001
824 Posts
woops, my mistake, it's a "Quanum" http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10343

it came from Hobby king, so I just assumed it was a turnigy. Mine is the earlier version that won't do amperage so I may upgrade it at some point. It seems to have resonable range. If you unplug the battery, the monitor tells you it has lost the signal, I have never lost the signal while flying. I haven't checked the voltage measuring for accuracy. but it seems resonable. It makes a beeping noise if any cell runs low, so you can just ignore it in flight most of the time. At least for bigger packs it seems like good insurance.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 03:21 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
I had not looked at the literature that came with the model, but it is a 500KV motor. I may swap out the motor for the 1000KV version.
Err....why would you do that ???

The motor supplied will pull around a max of 50amps
50A X 21volts (6s)= 1050 watts

1050 watts :- 11volts (3s) = 95amps...

I think you might want to learn about Ohms law..

Ian