EZ gliders r better............
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
Certified RPAS Instructor
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
NAh... I like my Star!! No prop in the view! I did put the Easy Glider wings on it and it thermals really well.

I would keep the next one stock though, and keep it light.
The_Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by The_Mongrel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:51 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,933 Posts
[QUOTE=shigetyann;17227566Itís so sorry. Also in ponds? If so, where do you do RC seaplanes?

Iím thinking also how to clear taking off issue from land.
I know your idea #126 is great truly. Iíve almost read this thread.
I have to mention my Japanese friendís big ICON about taking off from land.
In taxing on rough field, his clubís, its nose-gear broke at some speed before taking off.
More attempts, after attached nose-gear by glue, it never took off because of its nose never bumped up.
This means the main gearís position is too backward from CG.
Iíll move a center of main-gear forward as most such sizeís model planes are. I suppose a position of main-gears is to from 15 to 20 mm backward from CG. My friend had already finished a modification, but not tries yet, because of keeping up gusty days.

About an affection on water performance. I suppose retracted main gear and tires wonít affect so much in planing on water.
My technique for taking off from water is only throttle high fast and is shorten a time from tax to planning. This was discussed in this thread before. Itís simple and best, also I agree with.

Iím waiting youíll post your ICON-A5ís FPVs in some gorgeous scenery.
I once visited north-east coast, Cairns and nearby. Really beautiful everywhere! It must be awesome every place in Oz.

Thank you for your propositions. And thank you all.
Best regards

Shige

PS. If you have time, please visit my blog in RC Groups.[/QUOTE]

yes there is a lot of water everywhere here from too much rain.
take off & landing on water, i'll be driving out to Wivenhoe Dam or Somerset Dam, approx 2 hours drive from my home. Fresh water & nice scenery

taking off on wheels, i agree the rear main wheels are a long way aft, but it should still be able to rotate from taxi to lift, given there are videos showing even taking off from belly on grass
has your friend tried deploying flaps for takeoff? i'd even try raising the nose to increase the AOA, perhaps spacers under the nose retract or lengthen the nose gear strut
relocating the rear mains would be my very very last option

water takeoff i would agree, yet to experience... i think as you say, as soon as lined up into the breeze (best for no breeze ) and level wings, go full throttle
i had a sea plane that was something like a Catalina with wing tip floats, very difficult to fly on water and always breaking something, ended up giving it away
my cessna 182 i only tried on floats once for curiousity, full throttle i couldnt lift off the water, needed bigger motor & prop so i never bothered because she's just a wonderful plane with wheels, very relaxing plane to fly
seems to me that the icon is going to be a much more useful plane on water than anything i've tried... but i've only ever tried the catalina & cessna, i am certainly no expert!

australia has a lot of varied beauty i've riden motorbike to most places around australia throughout 1980's, havent been to Darwin or Tasmania yet.
there is so much to see in Australia, Cairns is only but one view of Australian scenery.... and a very hot view in summer!

i visited your blog, thank you
you have had some interesting exploits i see
the mitsubishi zero is a very nice example, many many hours building with detail, commendable
nice vids with onboard cameras on gliders... one glider is pulling vertical climbs! impressive!
have you tried remote piloting/fpv? fly by goggles?
i love the Macchi! i have never seen before, i appreciate the older aircraft. I have an 1800mm 1930's Miles Sparrowhawk with 30cc 2stroke motor, i am yet to build her, but plan to fpv.

in addition to crazy busy at work, i've just bought a house and start moving today... and looking out the window, i see it has just started raining.... oh joy lol
but i am still planning on maidening next weekend, unless the Weather Gods dont play nice...
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
Joined May 2010
2,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
NAh... I like my Star!! No prop in the view! I did put the Easy Glider wings on it and it thermals really well.

I would keep the next one stock though, and keep it light.
at one point i was contemplating putting my 1500mm cessna wings on my riccs busy bee- woulda been "wings with a dash of fuselage... shaken, not stirred..."
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:35 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Aussie - I have this Catalina that I have had for a while, and might have to resurrect it. Problem is that it is Styro and not EPP. It flew really well, but I think the airframe is a little weak for the extra abuse from FPV.

I hit the water in the following video around 2.50.

Maiden of the Aussie Flight Catalina (6 min 10 sec)

Also an onboard with a Flycam

Onboard the Catalina (2 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:43 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Lets hope I dont do this on my next takeoff!!

How not to land on water (0 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 07:35 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel View Post
Lets hope I dont do this on my next takeoff!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNBRS...eature=related
That plane was not landing , to me it looks like he wuz trying to take-off
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jan 28, 2011, 08:58 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
Actually I think he just wanted the prime spot on the beach!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
Joined May 2010
2,933 Posts
that's my kinda flying!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2011, 06:34 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
465 Posts
To AussieHoppy

Thank you for your approval, acceptance and gentle comments so much.
I see youíre in pretty busy ďcrazy busyĒ circumstance though, you send me such a long writings.

I agree with your idea about ICON raising the nose. I wait your report.

>there is a lot of water everywhere here from too much rain.
I know extreme weather occurs every country, also in Japan.
>Wivenhoe Dam or Somerset Dam, approx 2 hours drive from my home.
I have to be ashamed about complaining to spend 1.5 hour to get lakes playing seaplanes.

>,,,,a Catalina with wing tip floats, very difficult to fly on water and always breaking something, ended up giving it away
I suppose its hull shape and steps has not suitable to take off easily.
Most ARF RTF has not good hull or belly. You know planes fly with its wings lift force. So if a seaplane taking off from water wants much power than horizontal flight, it means hull or belly shape is not approval. Thatís why I introduced a MOD example ďMacchi M67Ē. It means even though FSK model they havenít succeeded seaplane at least. (I love FSK!)

Also some other manufactures release not good seaplanes, floatplanes and optional floats.
My friends and I tried GWSís, HACKERís and OK modelís optional floats those are not good for less than 1kg-weight planes. Some of heavier ones are also not good. Most products don't take off nicely because of water turn up along the floats surfaces. It means down forces works and holds back accelerate the planes and does not gain enough lift on wings. I think the first priority is sharpened edges of hull or belly.
I supposed to be occurred on your Catalina and Cessna 182ís float.
I offered my upper opinions to S/L Cechla a test pilot of FSK, he accepted my points.(but not any improvement yet last six months, he also pretty busy person, he said)

>Öridden motorbike to most places around Australia throughout 1980's,
Itís a great journey!
My friend and I also travel on bicycle around Tohoku domain, from Senday to Aomori turned Tugaru peninsula, about 1000km travel taken two weeks in my Uni.ís holiday in summer 1982.

> have you tried remote piloting/fpv? fly by goggles?
About FPV, Iíve not tried fly by goggles, only on board cameras. I do want to try goggles in no distant future. Some of my friends have already tried and show me these movies. But I didnít accept its image quality because of a weakness of radio. Before I start goggles, Iíll take a license of ham radio.
One of my ongoing projects is making a toe-plane for pure gliders its weight 4kg at most. It is based Pilatus Turbo Porter for .90 4st gas engine, and its wing span is 2 meter. Iím altering it to electric and make finish before April.
Iíll mount a sensor and transmitter system announcing its altitude, GPS recorder, and at least two HV cameras on it. We ď60ís Soaring Club?Ē will take several aero-toe meetings from spring to fall. I have to hurry up to finish.

About the Macchi, it was pretty hard trial. As I know, succeeding person is only my friend and I. Most person took back as well as I know.

Iím waiting your maiden flight successful, good luck!

Shige
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Coming soaling season in Japan
Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:44 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
465 Posts
My friend's BiG ICON(wing span 1800mm) and MY small ICON( 1090mm) will join today.

I'm pretty getting exided. I'll post our off-meeting.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2011, 07:09 PM
Acworth, GA
Joined Mar 2007
225 Posts
subscribe
Avenger GBU-1H is offline Find More Posts by Avenger GBU-1H
Old Feb 02, 2011, 01:49 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Amazing!

Ordered on the 10th of Jan., made it to US Customs on 18 Jan. delivered here, today, 2 Feb. A little slower than usual, but in good shape, and well worth the wait! A huge, beautiful amphibian arrived today. If I don't have it ready to fly at Tampa's April float fly, it will be my fault! Until you see it, you will not believe how BIG it is! I am pleased!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Feb 02, 2011, 05:42 PM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
465 Posts
Fine!

Be careful of the gears. And you may be needed some MOD on the runing surface of the hul or positon of the step.

Regards

Shige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Ordered on the 10th of Jan., made it to US Customs on 18 Jan. delivered here, today, 2 Feb. A little slower than usual, but in good shape, and well worth the wait! A huge, beautiful amphibian arrived today. If I don't have it ready to fly at Tampa's April float fly, it will be my fault! Until you see it, you will not believe how BIG it is! I am pleased!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Yass
Joined Dec 2007
7,792 Posts
HOLY CRAP!!! Are you planning on sitting in it??
RCG Plus Member