HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
462 Posts
To Lancer31
I'm grad to hear you enjoyed my videos. Thanks!

To Thomas B
Thank you for your precise caluculation.
Sure the difference between model size and the real has a lot of differences under the physical laws; viscosity,surface tention effect and etc.
I think that for a RC model, weak wind for us seems quite strong storm for a model.
Also the ratio between lift force and surface tention may be quite different.
Those cause the shape of seaplane is forced to change from real one.
I take movies as long as possible, model's belaviors investigation tell us a lot of suggestion for improvements. I enjoy those stages especially seaplane and floatplane.

To day I got a large version at last. Its wing span is 1800mm as the same size of Jurgen, baddb1, ssatoru and other person. This is amasing actually! But I made sure of some diffficulties as mentioned before in this thread.
I'm going to fight !
Almost Ready to Fight! → ARF

seeker-Shige
shigetyann is online now Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Piranha EP boat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
I have flown a lot of different sizes of seaplane models, from 1.5 oz to 20 lbs and surface tension is really only a significant issue on the very smallest models. Good hull and float design handles most issues.

I have a small fairly scale Be-200 seaplane and it does suffer from lack of hull volume, due to it's small size, much liek the Icon suffers a little from low spaonson volume.

Another thing to consider is scale of model vs wave size...a 6" wave for a 1/5 scale model is the sale as a 3 foot wave for the full scale aircraft and that is a significant wave for the typical small seaplane.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 16, 2011, 04:42 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I have flown a lot of different sizes of seaplane models, from 1.5 oz to 20 lbs and surface tension is ・・・・.
You are so enthusiasist of seaplane actually. And I agree with you. Good hull and float design is very important.
My seaplane's weight range is from 1.5 to 6 lbs. The smallest seaplane is near by 0.5 lbs which is my friends one. Recentlly I've been focusing near 1.5 to 2 lbs small electric seaplanes.
Exactlly I felt that surface tention affects easily under 2 lbs seaplane in an adverse way. It's difficult to take off without good design. So good hull and float design is very important.
I wonder some ARF(Almost Ready to Fly) productions aren't made consideration about this.

Thanks Thomas B

Regards
seeker-Shige
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by shigetyann; Jan 16, 2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:22 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Still waiting.

I expect my 1.8 meter Icon will be here in the next few days.
I am looking forward to it, especially after viewing the videos,
posted on the full-size aircraft's website. Very impressive.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:12 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Welcome to the thread, shigetyann, and also congratulations on getting big one.

I have read some flyers in your area are addng 'slege' in front of sponsons to improve water take off. My 1800mm ICON needs more volume to stand still in the wind first all.

On that windy day, Seamaster (or Chinese clone of it) with 52 or so engine did not have much difficulty to take off and land. Hope I can improve mine better.

I have received replacement nose gear from local distributor. It comes with pastic mount. I will slowly work to fix mine.

Satoru
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:59 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
I have read some flyers in your area are addng 'slege' in front of sponsons to improve water take off. My 1800mm ICON needs more volume to stand still in the wind first all.

On that windy day, Seamaster (or Chinese clone of it) with 52 or so engine did not have much difficulty to take off and land. Hope I can improve mine better.

Satoru
Hi Satoru - What do you mean by adding a 'slege' on sponsons?
I also noticed the same take-off problems you do with even a small amount of wind. Very difficult to aim plane into wind for take-off.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:13 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
Welcome to the thread, shigetyann, and also congratulations on getting big one.

Satoru
Thank you Satoru.
BTW I also want to know the meaning of "slege". I suppose it's ebifyaa sann's ICON-A5. If it's so, the word may be plate. Is it the correct?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Yeah , me too .....

they arrived in the Aussie warehouse and I ordered mine......so by the end of the week ...
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:36 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Ah, good to see fellow Wiggy pilot is getting one! Maybe we can all sort this thing out!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Im sure we can.
So to summarize , what are the main faults

1 , tail wag
2 , retract probs
3 , ????

Ian
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:28 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
Im sure we can.
So to summarize , what are the main faults

1 , tail wag
2 , retract probs
3 , ????

Ian
3 - Difficulty ROW even in the slightest breeze. Wing tips dig in water.
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
OK .....any more ??
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:14 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,852 Posts
nah, that's about it I thinks, other than the servo setup for retracts & steerage... I went for a retract servo HS75BB, 180 deg works wonders; and HS85MG for rudder/ nose wheel steering, altho long term i may go with either dual 85MG's or one larger servo for steering.

i haven't flown mine yet- weather, floods, work, and just life has been getting in the way of finishing lol

nose retract does seem very flimsy, i'll be mostly belly landing on grass, so it'll be mostly up elev on grass takeoff, and hope i get a little life out of the nose gear

Running the motor, the tail vibrates around significantly, with noticible flex at the fuse -> tail transition, so I'll be fibreglassing the fuse/tail from approx the prop through to most of the way up the vert stab.

Careful screwing the horiz stab, mine threaded in part way then the blind nut let go, so now i cant remove nor tighten the screw. i've glued the horiz stab down, and if i have elev servo probs later i'll cut an access from the top.

I'm going to try some vertical fins on the tips of the horiz stab, hopefully reduce or eliminate the tail wag.

if i'm successful eliminating much of the the wag & vibration in the tail, i'll be trying fpv.

running an eflite 25 on 4S with 11 x 8 two blade. not chasing performance, hoping for flight duration
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:05 PM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
462 Posts
I made another NFDHOBBY ICON-A5 footage.

One of my best friends,CIVIL, ordered me. His ICON-A5 is made up almost standard without adding turn water plates on the float edges both side. And he colored light blue.

Please enjoy bellow footage.

CIVIL's NFDHOBBY ICON-A5 Maiden Flights (6 min 56 sec)

Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:20 PM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Yes, plate. I was not sure its shape.

Satoru
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigetyann View Post
Thank you Satoru.
BTW I also want to know the meaning of "slege". I suppose it's ebifyaa sann's ICON-A5. If it's so, the word may be plate. Is it the correct?
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru