HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:26 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
Hey Satoru

FWIW...do you know of other good hobby shops in Japan like Aircraft world , that have good prices and cheap Japanese subsidised small parcel costs ???

Cheers

Ian
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2011, 10:43 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,847 Posts
HobbyKing? lol
sorry, i dont know of any japanese outlets, would be interesting to know
FWIW, Chad at Xtreme Hobbies, up here at Hemmant, buys chinese made goodies by the container full... fms... fly fly... etc etc
cheaper than most LHS's, HK still is the cheapest
the big difference is Chad does look after his customers, he has never failed me yet
and no endorsement whatsoever
just so happens Xtreme is literally around the corner from work
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 08, 2011, 02:27 AM
Joined May 2010
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SON OF PALEFACE View Post
Hey Hoppy .....just a heads up...I ...never....use a 4cell pack with any radio....always a 5 cell and disable the UBEC

Unless its a small plane
thx mate.... you dont miss much!

actually the 4 cell 4.8 is for my TLRSS, being the recommended voltage range, as according to Thomas.

i have three x 5 cell of the same 6v packs- one for all other Rx other than TLRSS, and 2 x 6v for my fpv cam/Tx

and yup, "cut the red wire!"
i havent used a ubec in quite some time, only on my edf

I sincerely hope you guys arent getting the deluge we've been having for weeks n weeks!

cheers!

much appreciated
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2011, 03:17 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Hi AussieHoppy,

It is easy to reach to retract. See photo of post 79. You can reach retract simply peeling off bottom thin plastic cover. It is tougher to find replacement. I cannot find one fits to the mount holes.

You can see how hand launch works in video in #32 post. After I broke the nose retract, I temporarily fixed it not to fold and flew from grass field ok. That is why my formation flight photo shows all gear down.

Yes, it is good to up elev when take starts. It tends to stick to the ground and you need good control to take off smoothly.

SON OF PALEFACE, I do not know of shop in Japan opted for export. There are few shops who ships to outside Japan but they are not offering shipping advantage.

Satoru
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy View Post
I am curious- how difficult was it to remove the nose gear? looks to me like a disaster!

i'll worry about my nose gear after it breaks, which probably wont take long...

i remember one of the earlier vids seeing belly take offs with gear retracted, which looks interesting lol

anyone tried hand launching these 1800mm Icon's?
ssatoru is offline Find More Posts by ssatoru
Old Jan 10, 2011, 02:25 AM
Joined May 2010
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru View Post
Hi AussieHoppy,

It is easy to reach to retract. See photo of post 79. You can reach retract simply peeling off bottom thin plastic cover. It is tougher to find replacement. I cannot find one fits to the mount holes.

You can see how hand launch works in video in #32 post. After I broke the nose retract, I temporarily fixed it not to fold and flew from grass field ok. That is why my formation flight photo shows all gear down.

Yes, it is good to up elev when take starts. It tends to stick to the ground and you need good control to take off smoothly.

SON OF PALEFACE, I do not know of shop in Japan opted for export. There are few shops who ships to outside Japan but they are not offering shipping advantage.

Satoru
nice to know the nose retract is at least easy enough to access, i'll see how long mine takes to fail...

I had seen the post 32 hand launch, I was curious if anyone outside of a retail outlet had attempted a hand launch

up elev seems the way!

I dont foresee any flying friendly weather for some time, lots of rain, local flooding, with predictions of much more to come.

i've assembled the main wings, surprised as to how tight the fit is i'll see how well she flies as is, before i decide whether or not i'll epoxy glue the main wings.

while we're rained in here, i might epoxy fibreglass at the fuse/tail transition and see if that tightens up the flex. it's a small area where there's noticable flex, i'd be surprised if the tail wouldnt be vibrating in flight
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,213 Posts
Quote:
while we're rained in here, i might epoxy fibreglass at the fuse/tail transition and see if that tightens up the flex. it's a small area where there's noticable flex, i'd be surprised if the tail wouldnt be vibrating in flight
I see that in the International news reports that you guys are getting swamped over there!!

I noticed the same flex in the tail as you. It seemed to me too that may cause some problems so I added some stiffners in that area. I only flew once since then but I did still notice some tail wag. I will need to try it out a bit more though to see if it has at least reduced the wagging.
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2011, 02:55 AM
Joined May 2010
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I see that in the International news reports that you guys are getting swamped over there!!

I noticed the same flex in the tail as you. It seemed to me too that may cause some problems so I added some stiffners in that area. I only flew once since then but I did still notice some tail wag. I will need to try it out a bit more though to see if it has at least reduced the wagging.
swamped is one way to put it lol

i arrived at work at 5am to see all manner of things floating down the river... from 30'-50' boats, lounges, pontoons & jetties, fridges... very sad
a full restaurant has been washed down the river, and 2 barges that are threatening to break loose are on the ready with explosives to sink them if need be, to avoid further damage.
so far everyone i know are safe & well, but let's see what tomorrow morning brings...

i was thinking more so the tail flex would contribute to a lot of vibration in the camera flying fpv
now knowing you've added carbon fibre or whatever and still noticed tail wag, i thinks i'll look seriously at adding some fins to the horiz stab once i've maidened her
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,213 Posts
Quote:
swamped is one way to put it lol

i arrived at work at 5am to see all manner of things floating down the river... from 30'-50' boats, lounges, pontoons & jetties, fridges... very sad
a full restaurant has been washed down the river, and 2 barges that are threatening to break loose are on the ready with explosives to sink them if need be, to avoid further damage.
so far everyone i know are safe & well, but let's see what tomorrow morning brings...

i was thinking more so the tail flex would contribute to a lot of vibration in the camera flying fpv
now knowing you've added carbon fibre or whatever and still noticed tail wag, i thinks i'll look seriously at adding some fins to the horiz stab once i've maidened her
I see some of that on this video! WOW!
http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15...oding-23824222

Keep us posted on how the added fins work out...
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined May 2010
2,847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
I see some of that on this video! WOW!
http://news.yahoo.com/video/world-15...oding-23824222

Keep us posted on how the added fins work out...
yup, that is exactly what happened- and that vid footage was at Toowoomba, approx 2 hours west of here, which is on the top of a mountain range! so all that water along with surrounding water rushed down the mountain toward Brisbane, cleaning up towns in it's path.
thankfully the rain abated a couple of days ago, so the flood levels havent risen anywhere near that was predicted.
i've been awake for most last night checking on our boat building workshop as the highest flood peak was for early hours of this morning, but all's good
Now we are keeping a watch on a tropical low east of Brisbane/ South East Queensland in the Coral Sea, this low has the potential to be a big cyclone, and could pose to be a major threat to us here in another couple of weeks... the last thing we need while we are cleaning up from this flood disaster.
i just gave our commercial tugboats green light to return to port today, as i'd sent them out in Moreton Bay to hide away from the river.

and i dropped down to the airfield this morning, but it's closed for a couple of weeks due to rain saturation... so i cant even maiden! lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2011, 07:22 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Good to hear you did not get damage from that heavy rain and flood...

I tried my 1800mm ICON A5 on water on Monday and it was a bit disastrous. It was a windy day and river wave was high. I tried to launch but could not. Other similar sized planes could take off, so my ICON A5 is not so good at high wind and tide. This not good for me because I was hoping ICON A5 durabe for high wave than float planes.

- It will not stay straight against side wind. (expected)
- It will not point to head wind as it floats with power down. Wing on tail wind side will sink and drag.
Due to the second reason, it was difficult to keep nose pointed to head wind and go into planing. After a few trials, prop nut got loose from hitting water and lost the prop.

Worse, I hit the plane with a pole standing from river when I was retrieving on a canoe. Tail boom is damaged.

I am thinking the cause and possible fix.
- Weight CG location might be too high. I placed battery on top of nose gear linkage this time. It was good to have proper CG but may have resulted vertical CG too high as a boat on water.
- If above is not the cause, volume of the sponson is not enough. I need to think about to increase them. (I think I had read scale effect of volume of foat/sponson)

The damage revealed the structural weak point. The pole hit the vertical stab and fuse broke there. I will reinforce around there.

There are some good news. Local dealer got the replacement gear from the manufacturer. I will fix the plane and try on calm day again.

Satoru
#This RCG blog writes about 1090mm ICON A5s.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=123236
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:46 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
I think to have any hope of working OK in a crosswind situation, the sponsons will have to be much larger and displace more water. I hate the idea of tip floats, but they might be required as well, if the larger sponsons do not work out.

I took a close look at mine when it arrived and see some opportunity to change the sponsons. Add at least an inch to the outside to make the sponsons wider and add some more foam around the main gear retract opening as well. Foam added outboard will do more good than foam added inboard.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, sponsons do not scale.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:14 AM
Chiba, Japan
Joined Jan 2002
1,044 Posts
Yes, I hate wing tip float too, that will be the last resort. Thank you for explaining the sponson scale effect earlier. I am curious to see the improvement you can have by adding more volume.

Satoru
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:07 AM
centrea Japan
Joined Nov 2006
461 Posts
Hi all !

I'm a new commer in this thread from Japan.
Satoru introduced me to join this FORUM. Thanks a lot Satoru.

I also love ICON-A5, and I own smaller one manufacutured NFDHOBBY.
Satoru also has bigger one.

If it's arrowed to mention Thomas B's opinion, actually the sponsons are bigger than real.
But this deformed sponsons are helpful to stabilize the plane not to up-side-down.
It's absolutely nesessary to keep ICON's shape.
I think adding other floats is not good.
FWIW actually I wonder the float surface's shape is not good for taking off easy, as former opinions mentioned in bigger one. Smaller one has also the same problem.
I touched up edges of float sharpened and got good result.

Please watch two footages below, I hope enjoy these. I made strenuous efforts to improve.
I wonder some person has watched already.

ICON A5 NFD HOBBY Finished with Extra Items Just before Maiden Flight (1 min 9 sec)

ICON A5 Maiden Flights after finising Gimmicks (7 min 32 sec)

And if you have time, please visit my blog in RC Groups.

Thank you all
shigetyann is offline Find More Posts by shigetyann
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by shigetyann; Jan 14, 2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:35 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Splendid!

Excellent model, flown well. Bravo.

(Mine is enroute, from HK).
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:22 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigetyann View Post
Hi all !

one.

If it's arrowed to mention Thomas B's opinion, actually the sponsons are bigger than real.
But this deformed sponsons are helpful to stabilize the plane not to up-side-down.
Yes, I had noticed that the sponsons are already bigger than scale...however, the huge loss of volume when scaling down the sponson means that even slightly oversized ones will not perform if you are trying to operate with more than a little bit of wind.

A sponson that on the model might be something like 12" long, 8" wide and 2" thick gives about 192 cubic inches of foam. (lets forget streamlining for the quick comparison and pretend the sponson is a square block.)

If the real aircraft is 5 times larger, the hypothetical sponson would be about 60" by 40" by 10", and have a volume of 24,000 cubic inches. A 1/5 scale model yields a sponson that is 125 times smaller in volume/floatation effect.

(The large Icon A5 model is about 1/5.8 scale, but the example is close enough)

The Icon models do well in calm conditions, but it does need bigger "water wings" when the wind and the waves increase, to stay upright.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 14, 2011 at 08:30 PM.