SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

ReadyMadeRC GoPro Pan & Tilt Mount Review

GoPro- pan and tilt edition? Sure! Author Kevin Martin puts the ReadyMadeRC GoPro pan and tilt mount on a ParkZone Radian to see just how well these mounts work!

Splash

Introduction

Servos:Hitec HS-65HBAvailable from ReadyMadeRC
Servo Cost:$21.99 each (included with GoPro Pan/Tilt)
Rotation capability:360
Manufacturer:ReadyMadeRC
Available From:ReadyMadeRC
Price for Radian Pod:$43.99
Price for GoPro Pan/Tilt mount (with servos):$83.99

ReadyMadeRC has easily become one of the leading vendors when it comes to FPV. The man behind it all, Tim, has quickly garnished a reputation for his top of the line customer service, as well as his products- besides the "standard" FPV merchandise he sells, there are also an assortment of custom laser cut "FPV Pods" designed to fit many different airframes. From Telemasters to Radians to Easystars, Tim has a pod to fit it all.

Alongside his pod designs, Tim also cuts a variety of pan and tilt mounts for everything from ground based antenna tracker mounts to the GoPro HD camera. I went to ReadyMadeRC looking for a way to turn my trusty Parkzone Radian into a capable HD Video platform. Luckily, I went to the right place.

Radian Pod Assembly

The Radian pod and GoPro mount both arrived as small bags of laser cut ply, ready to be assembled. Also included are 4 strong neodymium magnets to ensure you're new FPV pod stays securely in place. Assembly is a breeze, and only requires some CA glue, and about an hour of your time (if you're a very meticulous builder like I am).

GoPro Pan/Tilt Assembly

The GoPro assembly is slightly more complex, and will take a little more patience in the build. Be sure to re-read the full color directions a few times before you begin if you're prone to "I can do it from here" syndrome like me.

GoPro Wiring

Using a GoPro pan and tilt mechanism is no use unless you can actually see what you are looking at. Up next- prepping the GoPro to view the Live Video-Out! For detailed instructions and help, go here. I built my wiring harness to also charge the GoPro off the receiver, so I never have to worry about running out of battery mid-flight.

Wiring you will need:

For some people, soldering a cable like this on their own can be very daunting. Luckily, ReadyMadeRC sells a similar, "ReadyMade" wiring harness. Note, this requires a separate plug if you wish to simultaneously charge the GoPro camera.

Mounting

The ReadyMadeRC pod fits snugly into the Radian canopy area, and also offers easy access beneath it for all your electronics. I later chose to fit a rubber band around the fuselage and mount, just to be sure my new pod and GoPro didn't try any sneaky escapes.

<font face='arial,helvetica' size=-2></font>

Video

Be sure to play in HD!

(Vimeo version)

The first flight with the RMRC mount

Want more videos? Click on my name above to go to my vimeo channel!

Flying

After flying with this mount well near 100 times, I absolutely love it. The pan and tilt capabilities are great, and really bring HD FPV to a different level with the ability to "look around". The servos are very fast, and are not anything near "sluggish", so quick and choppy movements on your pan control WILL translate to quick and choppy servo movement. I found that smooth movement required a steady hand and a fair amount of expo, but resulted in great, smooth FPV filming. The ReadyMadeRC pod and mount were perfect fits for my Radian, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking to add a unique capability to their GoPro-toting airplane.

Is This For a Beginner?

Definitely! The Pod designs are extremely easy to install, and work fantastic. Besides that, they look extremely professional, and are modular- allowing you to easily modify your pod to fit a new camera.

Conclusion

In the end, the pan and tilt pod from ReadyMadeRC was anything but a disappointment. It is extremely functional, looks great, and is a very easy way to turn your favorite plane into a capable FPV machine. With the wide variety of different pods and camera mounts available, chances are, ReadyMadeRC has a setup to fit your needs.

Hits

• Easy to assemble
  • Lightweight
  • Modular
  • Durable
  • Allows for 360 rotation
  • Backed by the ReadyMadeRC reputation
  • Made in the USA

Misses

• If the main gear comes off of the pan servo due to an inadequate glue job (guilty), it can be hard to fix.
  • Does not come with the extra batteries you will need to feed your rekindled FPV addiction!
Last edited by Angela H; Aug 31, 2011 at 05:36 PM..

Discussion

Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Reserved for future use!
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:14 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
I just got my SkySurfer and Pod from ReadyMadeRC. Plan on doing a review just like this one. Great writeup
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Sep 07, 2011, 04:21 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Awesome! The ReadyMadeRC pods work perfectly- I'm sure you will enjoy it!

-Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:22 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,631 Posts
With what you did for the wiring... can you use video out and record it? -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Yep! Record HD onboard, and use the video out.

-Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2011, 05:52 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Kevin Martin=kmart. All makes sense now....LOL.

Can the hero 960 do video out and HD record aswell?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:06 PM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
665 Posts
Very good review
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Thank you!

Pete-

I do believe it can. However, I don't recommend the 960 if you're shopping for a camera. I only ever use my gopro in R3 (720p, and 60fps) and R5 (1080P), and the 960 has neither of those functions. If you want to get a GoPro camera, just get the full one, and don't waste your money with the smaller- you will want the 60FPS or 1080 feature very soon.

-Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:12 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
I already bought the 960 for making motorcycle videos (helmet cam!), so I was just thinking of double duty.

However I've had so much fun with the first, that I plan on getting a 1080p aswell
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Sep 07, 2011, 06:19 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Oh yeah- I use my GoPro for just about everything. If only Tim could make a pod for everything I do...

-Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:05 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
Kevin,

How much does the mount and camera weigh? Did you have any balance issues since all of that gear sits ahead of the CG?

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:43 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Andy, good question! In my FPV conversion, my Radian lost almost all of its original identity outside of the airframe (out of personal preference, not necessity). Because FPV is almost always a custom addition, there isn't really a definite answer. However, I always flew with a 3s 2600mAh battery, and later a bigger motor up front (just for crazier verticals, the stock still works fine), and my Radian flew great. I suggest mounting the video transmitter right behind to aid in balance, though.

Kevin
Old Sep 07, 2011, 11:47 PM
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
A quick trip on the scale says 205g for GoPro and mount.

Kevin
Old Sep 08, 2011, 07:21 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,439 Posts
OK, I was just curious what had to be moved around to make it balance. I've got a Radian and one day hope to be able to go FPV with it. That mount looks so clean and well-done.

Oh yeah, those videos rock...absolutely amazing scenery.

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member