SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2010, 11:39 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
Discussion
2010 FALL CALIFORNIA VALLEY XC, Sept 18 and 19

The 2010 Fall California Valley Cross-Country Race will be September 18th and 19th at California Valley.

California Valley is known for its incredible lift and vast open spaces that make it ideal for RC Cross Country soaring. September has typically been the month with strongest conditions with 100 plus mile flights recorded.

California Valley is located at the northern tip of the Carrizo Plain Natural Area Preserve. The reserve is an arid basin of predominately shrub and grassland with wide open spaces and great thermal activity. It is bordered by the Tremblor Mountains to the east, and the Caliente Mountains to the west. The central feature is Soda Lake, one of the largest undisturbed alkali wetlands in the State. By September, the lake may have evaporated leaving behind a glistening expanse of white salts which illuminates your sailplane as it is crossing.

Go to www.xcsoaring.com for entry information. AMA membership required for all pilots. Skytrace GPS data loggers by Magellan Technologies will be required for each team.

Thank you for your interest, and I hope to see you there.
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2010, 10:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
This is just a confirmation that this XC event will be September 18, and 19. See www.xcsoaring.com for sign-up details.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:40 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,405 Posts
A couple of us flew at Cal Valley yesterday and the craters and pot holes in Soda Lake Road have been repaired and it's back to smooth sailing between the south end of the valley and the lodge.

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:51 AM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
Mike,

Thats good news, now we can use the southern turnpoints if we want. Thanks for checking that out.

John
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:30 AM
Webmaster & Newsletter SVSS
Rio Linda, CA
Joined Feb 2010
120 Posts
Restaurant?

Hey John

A hallmark of the last few contests in CV has been dinner in "The Diner". Using the restaurant added immensely to the weekend's enjoyment. It made meals very easy and was a great gathering place before and after a day of flying.

Have you talked to Ken about using the restaurant?? I gotta have more of Beardsley's Chicken and Dean's bacon.

For those of us that can't fly worth a crap, at least we can eat well.

It's all about the food, Dudley
Dudley Dufort is offline Find More Posts by Dudley Dufort
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:24 AM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
Dudley,

I did confirm with Ken the Kitchen will be available for us to rent. Beardsley will not be able to attend this time so maybe some one else can put together a pot luck list of food to bring?

John
Old Aug 01, 2010, 11:04 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
I am in the process of creating the Winscore contest file. I need the following information to complete the winscore contest file:

Team Captain's name
Team captains AMA # (All pilots must be current AMA members)
Glider type (for example SBXC, MXC, Thermic XL, etc.)
Team Members Names and AMA #'s

This contest will be AMA sanctioned so all pilots must be current AMA members. The 5 kg wt. limit will be enforced.

All Drivers must have valid Drivers license and must show proof of insurance.

You can email the information to me @ xcsoaringpilot@yahoo.com.

Thanks

John
Old Aug 25, 2010, 12:12 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
Guys - all too quiet? Are we still on for the event?
Who is going?
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined Oct 2004
599 Posts
I will be there starting Friday maybe even Thursday. Will have a winch with me.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Aug 28, 2010, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
I will be there Friday early evening. Just a reminder that if you plan on staying at the Cal Valley lodge to contact Ken and make your reservation.

Also, if you have not already done so, please email me your team information.

John
Old Aug 29, 2010, 05:25 PM
Joined May 2006
604 Posts
John - How would we contact Ken? Could you send me the contact info?
jgs99v is offline Find More Posts by jgs99v
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:49 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
Jack,

The California Valley Lodge contact info is:

kennethtab@aol.com
(805) 475-2363
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:47 PM
Joined Jan 2005
270 Posts
So far we have 8 teams signed up.

Below are the turnpoint maps we will be using for this event. Actual courses have not yet been determined. Reminder: This contest will be scored using GPS and the scoring program Winscore. Remember to bring your Skytrace GPS. If you do not have one please contact me.

There has been no formal food arrangements, but I will bring charcoal for the barbeques for Friday night and Saturday night or we can rent the kitchen for Saturday night. But the point is bring your own food and drink.

Thanks

John
Old Sep 09, 2010, 12:18 PM
United States, CA, Granite Bay
Joined Mar 2004
545 Posts
TP-J is a good addition. anyone who makes TPK and lives to tell about it should get a "I survived TPK" pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ellias View Post
So far we have 8 teams signed up.

Below are the turnpoint maps we will be using for this event. Actual courses have not yet been determined. Reminder: This contest will be scored using GPS and the scoring program Winscore. Remember to bring your Skytrace GPS. If you do not have one please contact me.

There has been no formal food arrangements, but I will bring charcoal for the barbeques for Friday night and Saturday night or we can rent the kitchen for Saturday night. But the point is bring your own food and drink.

Thanks

John
TrekBiker is offline Find More Posts by TrekBiker
Old Sep 09, 2010, 02:02 PM
yyz
USA, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Dec 2004
2,405 Posts
Waiting for my other team members' 411 but you can add another team to the mix.

Mike
yyz is offline Find More Posts by yyz