HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:54 PM
Artillery! King of Battle!
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Top-Flite DC-3?

Hello,

Would the Top-Flite DC-3 be a good model to convert to electric?

I would really like to have a C-47 that flies on electric.

Has anyone done this coversion?

Thanks

bwillhite
Brill 1 is offline Find More Posts by Brill 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2003, 02:00 AM
Go Wallabies!
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2000
372 Posts
I have just done a conversion of an AMD DC-3 and it was really good.

certainly stable in the air and very realistic. I say was however because my worst fears about an ARF were realised. a not so heavy landing caused the wings to fold up. the spars in the wings were only 5mm square balsa and there was no shear webbing. the ribs were only 1mm thick and not glued to the sheeting very well at all. really not good for a model with a 2250mm span!

the reviews of the Top flight kit look good so give it a try.

Craig
CraigO is offline Find More Posts by CraigO
Old Jun 12, 2003, 07:50 AM
Singapore
Joined Jan 2001
736 Posts
hi Criag...just curious...what did you use to power the AMD DC3?
Muah is offline Find More Posts by Muah
Old Jun 12, 2003, 08:57 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I had a good look at the TF DC3 plans a while back, with conversion in mind. It has been done, and to a fairly stock, out the box model, that flew well but fast, someone down in Virginia Beach area.

There's marvellous opportunity to lose a lot of wood in this kit. The engine nacelles looked especially chunky, though you'd need to keep the retract mount structure.

One idle thought - I understand that the nacelles are actually further out from the fuselage than 'scale', but even so, the model can only take around an 11" diameter prop. You'd either be needing to gear to a prop diameter or even look at three bladers - I vaguely recall that the one from VA Beach may have had three blade props.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 12, 2003, 05:49 PM
Go Wallabies!
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Dec 2000
372 Posts
Muah
i used 2 Graupner bb700 turbo in series with the varioprop 3 bladers off 20 calls.

loads of power, probably more than necessary, not enough to stop the wet power boys in my club saying " gee that would go really well with a couple of 25's"

cheers

Craig
CraigO is offline Find More Posts by CraigO
Old Jun 13, 2003, 06:57 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,458 Posts
Take a look at POLK HOBBIES if you haven't done so. Don't know the URL but GOOGLE will find it quickly.

72" WS, twin S600, 10 lbs.

Yowzah!!!!

But $300????

double yowzah

But its designed for e-power

Do a search here on DC3 also.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Jun 13, 2003, 08:07 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
TF Douglas Commercial-3

There is very little wing area in this model, 750 sq.in. or there abouts. I think it would be a good candidate for Dave Grife's system of AF BL 05's with suitable gearing, maximizing the engine c/l to fuse clearance. This way you could fly on a single 8x3300 pack and still have reasonable endurance. Or up it to 9 cells.

I've built a couple of the TF Gold Series kits and there is a ton of wood to be left out for any kind of power, E or IC. Plan to get the loading in the 25 area for good slow -3 realism. Higher than that and it's flying like a fighter. (Mossie) Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Jul 09, 2003, 10:11 PM
Clinton. WA.
Joined Jun 2002
7 Posts
Hi, I am in the process of building and converting a Top Flight 82" WS DC-3. So far I only have the tail and upper body finished.

It can be converted to an electric, Trevor Hewson in Hampshire England has done it and so has Todd Ablett of Burnaby BC, Canada. It will take a lot of batteries, 16-18 and weigh at least 10 lbs. The kit is very good and the instructions are good also, but not perfect.

Let me know if you are going to go ahead with this project.
John Goodwin is offline Find More Posts by John Goodwin
Old Jul 09, 2003, 11:29 PM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I am planning on doing this as my next project, but I have gotten side tracked onto electric helicoptors and cars!

I plan on purchasing the kit in the next month or so.

I will keep this thread updated.

later

bwillhite
Old Jul 10, 2003, 07:55 AM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
869 Posts
A fellow club member built one as a C47 with a pair of OS 40 FX. It is gorgeous. I was dissapointed when I saw it fly. Flew like a pattern plane - very very fast and smooth. Landed like a pattern plane too. It's built like a bridge, weighs a ton and has tapered wings. Add e power to this thing and I think you would have a cast iron pig. I am sure it is possible to get decent results, but you will not get the slow, stately performance you would expect from a classic airliner.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Jul 10, 2003, 08:28 AM
USA, KS, Scammon
Joined Mar 2002
4,431 Posts
I was looking at the specs of the model last night and started to worry about this also. With a 82 1/2" wingspan and only 750 sq. inches of wing area, the thing would be fast!

Might have to look for another project.

bwillhite