Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Pat Lynch, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:51 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
Discussion
2010-2

I took the little Powell racer on a two week holiday around the state of Victoria in Oz and flew her on many occaisions. A month or so ago she was moved on along with my Rake DII (now decorating the high ceiling of an Aviation administrator along with several other Rake models).
The big SE5a had a fatal mishap - the battery (a 5000mA 4S LIPO) came loose and separated itself leaving the model to spiral to an untimely death! Sad, as it was my favourite at that point.

Most effort for a few months has been on the Bristol F2b. This is a large model at 67" and I had always decided to make it the best model I'd built yet. Not necessarily the most scale as it is basically still a 'sport scale' design of Peter's but at 1/7 scale there was no excuse not to include metalwork, lacing, proper rigging etc. Many version of the wartime colour scheme have been built so I chose to model a replica flying in the New Zealand air display circuit which itself was based on a late WW1 British unit. I rather liked the all-silver finish and I'd plenty of photos and videos to use as a reference. This model is also the longest build I've ever done and is probably making its designer anxious that I may not finish it!
Build log:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1116684
It is also one of the most enjoyable builds I've done.
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; May 17, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2010, 09:03 AM
Always Electric!
Boise, ID
Joined Jul 2003
300 Posts
That is a depressing picture. I had a battery fall out once, but it was a sailplane and it flew itself into a corn field. Took a while to find but had no damage (I never did find the battery or hatch)
nikolaus_c is offline Find More Posts by nikolaus_c
Old May 23, 2010, 06:08 PM
OCD: Old, Cranky and Disgusted
United States, TX, Sweetwater
Joined Mar 2005
1,584 Posts
I count two wings, and a tail, still intact! Get the boffins and the truck to the trenches, pull it out from arty range, and build'er up to do battle again!
challenger_i is offline Find More Posts by challenger_i
Old May 24, 2010, 05:39 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
challenger, I seriously considered rebuilding her but the fuselage needed a complete start-from-scratch and I have so much on my building plate that I gave the idea away. The wings looked OK but had many internal breaks - too much work. Thanks for the comment though

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project