Old May 17, 2010, 09:12 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,402 Posts
Mini-HowTo
FIY F-22 Raptor EDF Thrust Vectoring Modification

Hey All,

I decided to mangle my F-22 with some thrust vectoring vanes. Pretty simple modification - first I used some wire to "drill" through the foam near the EDF exhausts. I then put some carbon tube through the holes and secured them with CA, these served as guides for the torque wires for the TV vanes. I then connected the torque wires to the elevons with pushrods / horns / clevises / etc. (see photos for details).

I was pretty concerned about the control response - I had the TV vanes hooked directly to the control surfaces so no way to turn them off or on! I mixed in 50% expo to the pitch and roll to be on the safe side.

The plane flew great! Honestly, there wasn't a huge difference in the response (remember, I still had 50% expo) but I could certainly pull some much steeper turns and I had lots of control response during slow flight (provided the fans were turning). The plane would even flip while at slow speed.

Check out the photos and videos for details!

F-22 EDF Modified with Thrust Vectoring! (6 min 13 sec)
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
to remove ads between posts