HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2010, 08:34 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Discussion
MoonGel - Used for vibe & jello dampaning

OK.... So, I stumbled across this stuff last night called "MoonGel" used by drummers to eliminate any unwanted resonance. http://www.rtom.com/moongel.htm I found out this morning that my local music store stocked it for $7.95. So I went in this afternoon and picked up a package and slapped it on the most unforgiving "jello" bird I had running at the moment, the Twin Boom...

I had a real negative attitude driving to the Skunk Works field and actually only flew it once thinking that it was a big waste of time as I could still feel the camera mount slightly vibrating when I throttled up on the ground. I was surprised to see the footage when I got home. The video speaks for itself.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in hopes others will give it a go and either confirm it works or it's a waste of time.

-Tim

MoonGel - Used for vibe & jello dampening. (2 min 7 sec)
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 08:55 PM
Brushless
Joined Mar 2009
2,029 Posts
Thanks Tim -What a difference - I just ordered some for a tricopter so I hope it works as good as yours -

Mike
cdi3d is offline Find More Posts by cdi3d
Old May 17, 2010, 08:57 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
It's a cheap experiment. Hope it works!
Old May 17, 2010, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
552 Posts
Pretty significant difference. I couldn't see in the video, are you using a tripod bolt to mount the camera?

Rob D.
nocontrol1 is online now Find More Posts by nocontrol1
Old May 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
Rich Hill Missouri 64779
Joined Nov 2003
8,357 Posts
Tim, that is great stuff. Could you show how you used it?
quailbird is offline Find More Posts by quailbird
Old May 17, 2010, 09:48 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Hi Rob,

I'll post detailed pics of the mount tomorrow morning... The short answer is yes. It's a quick release shoe plate taken from a cheap tripod found at Wally World. I've been flying with that a little over a year.

-Tim
Old May 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
Ill agree that it did improve it, but I could still pick out distortion from the 'after' portion. Maybe is just my eyes????
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610
Old May 18, 2010, 08:02 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,619 Posts
Thanks Tim, I believe this MoonGel is the icing on the cake, the crowning glory. Going to order some today.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old May 18, 2010, 08:40 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
OK.... So, I stumbled across this stuff last night called "MoonGel" used by drummers to eliminate any unwanted resonance. http://www.rtom.com/moongel.htm I found out this morning that my local music store stocked it for $7.95. So I went in this afternoon and picked up a package and slapped it on the most unforgiving "jello" bird I had running at the moment, the Twin Boom...

I had a real negative attitude driving to the Skunk Works field and actually only flew it once thinking that it was a big waste of time as I could still feel the camera mount slightly vibrating when I throttled up on the ground. I was surprised to see the footage when I got home. The video speaks for itself.

Just thought I'd throw this out there in hopes others will give it a go and either confirm it works or it's a waste of time.

-Tim

http://vimeo.com/11822743
Have you tried it on your tricopter???
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
Old May 18, 2010, 08:58 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocontrol1 View Post
Pretty significant difference. I couldn't see in the video, are you using a tripod bolt to mount the camera?

Rob D.
Rob & Quail,

Here are some pics of my setup.

aerofly0610,

I picked my worst plane to try this on. That said, there is/was a lot of pitch moment which is something the HD Hero camera doesn't like. So, yes the after clip is not 100% perfect. I'm just showing the lack of jello that I was getting.

Richie,

I wouldn't go that far yet...

-Tim
Old May 18, 2010, 09:00 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
Have you tried it on your tricopter???
Nope.... that's still sitting on my shelf.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troynh View Post
Richie,

I wouldn't go that far yet...

-Tim
Believe me, it is for me.

Reason is, I was searching for a Gel similar to this before finding your thread. It never dawn on me to look at the Music Industry where harmonics is a way of life.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:08 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,315 Posts
I hope it works for you. Try to find a local music shop before ordering online. Anyone locally selling drums /giving lessons should stock it. I'm finding that it's a pretty standard staple in that circle.
Old May 18, 2010, 09:09 AM
Begin with end in mind...
Eagle Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
5,599 Posts
Good find and good thinking Tim

I have a few wobbles here and there and this just may eliminate them alltogether. I will order some and give it a whirl.

Mike
power is offline Find More Posts by power
Old May 18, 2010, 09:10 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,619 Posts
Thanks for the advise however it will cost me more in Gas verse postage. It is available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/MG4-Moon-Drum-.../dp/B000E6LMR0