HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2003, 09:43 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Phoenix 10 ESC problem

Hey guys, need some help. I was setting up a plane this evening that will be running a direct drive 14t 010 with a Phoenix 10 ESC, the one that came with the motor that is not programmable. I hooked it up along with the servos to a Berg 4 receiver and plugged a battery in. The ESC made the usual startup tone. Then I flipped the on/off switch to on and the ESC repeated the tone, perfectly normal. Then I noticed I had no servo control. I checked the transmitter, then suddenly realized I had forgotten to put a crystal in the Berg. I powered off and unplugged the battery, then plugged a crystal in. Then I plug the battery back in and NO ESC STARTUP TONE. I have messed around with it for an hour plugging and unplugging the battery, testing another ESC on the receiver (receiver is fine, other ESC worked), testing another motor on this ESC (motor works, but not on this ESC). I CANNOT get the ESC to start up. It has power, because if I turn the switch on I can control the servos like normal. But the ESC will not play the startup tone, nor does the light flash, nor does the motor run. ARGH! Any ideas? Is the ESC somehow hosed from this? I can't imagine why not having a crystal in the receiver would hose up the ESC.

Thanks for any input!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2003, 09:56 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
I wonder if it's low throttle setting got messed up with no crystal and thus is not initializing.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:07 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,798 Posts
That sounds almost exactly what happened to one of mine as well. I didn't have a crystal problem but I mistakenly plugged the ESC into channel 3 instead of 4 and it was clearly screwed up. I know that the AF version is a bare version of the Phoenix 10. I had to send it back to Castle Creations. They fixed it and upgraded the features (low voltage switch, etc) for $15. I think that this must jam the circuitry (reset it somehow) which then has to be factory reset. I don't know.

-Ted
Ted U is online now Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:26 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==I wonder if it's low throttle setting got messed up with no crystal and thus is not initializing.==

But shouldn't it reset when the battery is removed? The only other thing I could think of is perhaps it has an internal circuit breaker of some sort, but I left it unplugged for quite a while and plugged it back in and it's still not working.

==but I mistakenly plugged the ESC into channel 3 instead of 4 and it was clearly screwed up==

THAT hosed up the ESC? Geesh, I wouldn't think that would be a problem! Terrific, sounds like I'm going to have to send the darned thing back. I'm amazed that something as simple as leaving the crystal out or plugging it into the wrong channel would be a problem. I could understand plugging it in backwards, but this is crazy!

Thanks for the input guys!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:31 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,798 Posts
Tres,

Email service at www.castlecreations.com. They may be able to answer your question, although they'll probably give you their service address and tell you to send it.

-Ted
Ted U is online now Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:43 PM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
Tres... check you CC esc instructions... sometimes there's a powered on reset to factory state procedure...... any chance yours has that feature........ kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Jun 10, 2003, 10:46 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks Ted, sent them an email.

Killer- I only got a flyer with the 010 (this was an 010/ESC combo) and it only covers how to disable the brake feature. I do have a flyer for another full-featured PH10 I have though, so I'll take a look at that and see if it sheds any light. Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:21 PM
Joined May 2003
615 Posts
Chk if your throttl eis on reverse on that channel, maybe that is it
Guyffon is offline Find More Posts by Guyffon
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:34 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I already checked that, even though it was unlikely. I also tried a second transmitter on the same frequency and a 2nd model memory on the first transmitter. Plus I moved the trim all the way down to see if that would help (these were things suggested in the instructions). I also tried to force it into programming mode by moving the throttle to full and plugging the battery in which should have resulted in a beep and flash to put it into prgramming. Nothing. Looks like my ESC is hosed!
Old Jun 11, 2003, 08:39 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
Tres,

Remember the "old" days when you knew for sure that you hosed an ESC by the smoke?

Now they all have software/firmware and need a reboot/reload every now and then. Is microsoft writing their code???

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Old Jun 11, 2003, 09:08 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Tell me about it! If they're going to put software in these things, at least give us the ability to reboot them or reinstall drivers
Old Jun 11, 2003, 04:34 PM
Will Crash for Food...
Orange County, CA
Joined Apr 2002
419 Posts
Programming

Just be glad the software isn't written by Microsoft. I'd hate to have a 'Blue Screen' at 100 feet...

Richard
Mighty Dingus is offline Find More Posts by Mighty Dingus
Old Jun 11, 2003, 07:43 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,214 Posts
Tres,

After getting two of my Phoenix 10's back from CC for upgrading I fought like crazy trying to get into programming mode. I finally reversed channel 3 and turned the TX upside down so throttle operation was "proper "and followed the programming instructions. For some reason no matter what I did with trim etc. I couldn't get it to enter programming until I did the above trick.

If all else fails Brenda at Castle Creations is very helpful and quick to repond to e-mails.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe