HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 10:49 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts
Thanks Fred !

It's great to learn from the master builders like you. At this point in the season, I'm wanting to do more flying than building. But for $9.95 a copy? This is fun . I agree with you that the e-flight edf's are way overkill. Might give it a go just as a 'proof of concept' as in, WIll it work?

Will probably rattle the wings apart. Not to mention ripping off the pylons on a belly landing. So next would be servoless trike retracts with multi-wheel trucks-LOL . Add in the aileron servos and the wing would look like Swiss cheese !

I'll see how the first edition maidens. Maybe today depending on wind conditions.

Best,

Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 06:24 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts
Between traveling and the gusty winds around here, I have yet to maiden my conversion.

Meanwhile I managed to pick-up a couple of used 66mm df's w/esc's from an E-flight Airliner.

My original thinking was making a twin edf but after a closer look, it does not look like it would be a very good belly lander. Thoughabout adding gear for clearance but there's only so much carving this wing can withstand IMO. Now I'm thinking I could mount one of these edf's on the top fuse somewhere.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Thanks,

-Hawk
Old May 10, 2012, 07:39 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Between traveling and the gusty winds around here, I have yet to maiden my conversion.

Meanwhile I managed to pick-up a couple of used 66mm df's w/esc's from an E-flight Airliner.

My original thinking was making a twin edf but after a closer look, it does not look like it would be a very good belly lander. Thoughabout adding gear for clearance but there's only so much carving this wing can withstand IMO. Now I'm thinking I could mount one of these edf's on the top fuse somewhere.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Thanks,

-Hawk
Twin EDF --- I think someone did one learjet style early on in the thread - check the "view attachments" function in the "thread tools" menu.

Single EDF mounted on top -- I think this is the simplest way of mounting an EDF to this airframe -- no ducting to worry about. It would be pretty simple to balance. The only issue would be to be sure to get the thrust angle correct. Checking the thrust angle on an EDF is pretty simple -- "pinch" the model on the CG as close to the wing as possible and throttle up -- model should push where the nose is pointed - if it pitches up or down, the thrust needs to be adjusted.

Here's a video I found of a top EDF conversion - not sure if this has been posted in this thread or not. The builder has also added a thrust tube to his EDF. Might add some top end speed but not necessary for the model to fly.
Another $10 RC plane. Air Hogs Titan (9 min 51 sec)

Keep us posted!
... almost done with my current project (Icon A5 scratchbuild) and then I will get to the Habu Titan Conversion Guide -- pretty fitting since parkzone has just rereleased their foamy Habu in Thunderbird scheme!! Honestly, before I even learned of it, I was going to do either the Thunderbird or Blue Angels scheme!

- Spotted Titans at my local Walmart -- $7!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old May 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts
SNice,

Thanks so much for posting that vid. Gets the juices flowing. I think the 66mm edf's might be slightly too big to make a twin out of it. Will focus on making a single top mounted edf version for the first go around. The Nacelle that comes with the e-flight 6mm is pretty nice looking. I also like the winglet idea. Might add those.

I do see many who have opted not to clip the wings back. I'm staying with the clipped wing.

Look forward to seeing your A5 !

-Hawk
Last edited by dahawk47; May 10, 2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:36 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,387 Posts
Hawk, those fans will run on 3 or 4S. 3S would give the Titan a nice zip to it. 4S would probably rip the wings off. I ran em on either a pair of 3S2100's or a single 3S3700 in the liner before switching to 4S.

You know Honda has a jet with a pair of fans mounted nearly on top of the wings.
Just a thought.

Twins are double the trouble, but twice the fun.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old May 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts

This one? Would be cool indeed. Pretty complex set-up with the two esc's, two batteries.Might be above my skill level . Might be worth getting another $9.95 Titan airframe to experiment

Hawk
Old May 15, 2012, 01:03 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts
Finally had a chance to maiden my AH conversion. On the first attempt (not shown), it nosed into the ground. Minor damage. I had the rates set at low. So, on the second attempt, I went with high rates and it it took off okay.

Not the best video footage, sorry. Handed my I-phone to one of my club mates. I had overcome the nose heavy condition by adding ballast at the rear fuse with (2) AA batteries. The power setup was adequate for the weight sacrifice.

Titan Maiden.wmv (2 min 59 sec)

Did not spend much time attempting to trim her. Will do next time out. Just wanted to run a few circuits to see how she flew. Not too bad really. At least this one is a true $10.00 airplane and that was my main mission.

Anyway, she flies ! I can envision many more possibilities. Have 2 in the hangar waiting to be converted.

-DAHawk
Last edited by dahawk47; May 15, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:51 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Congratulations, and this is what it is all about. Success and having fun. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old May 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts

Tom,
Please share any details about your ultra-clean adaption for a powered w/ails Titan. I picked the plane up at Target then found this thread and have been looking at the different schemes. I was thinking of using a spare Blue Wonder knock-off and 2s for a sub-100W power system. I like the idea of a full WS floater/glider. Then I saw your pic but couldn't find any reference to the details of the build and hardware. It appears to use a Polaris-like motor nacelle, ailerons, elevator but rudderless. I also happen to have spare hardware from a full size Polaris (Grayson, 30A esc, 1800 to 2200 mah 3s) to drive a 7035 e-prop.
Inquiring minds want to know. BTW... I'm a big fan of your expertise and contribution to the FOB camera thread. Thanks in advance.
wheelzup is offline Find More Posts by wheelzup
Last edited by wheelzup; May 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 16, 2012, 08:33 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelzup View Post

Tom,
Please share any details about your ultra-clean adaption for a powered w/ails Titan. I picked the plane up at Target then found this thread and have been looking at the different schemes. I was thinking of using a spare Blue Wonder knock-off and 2s for a sub-100W power system. I like the idea of a full WS floater/glider. Then I saw your pic but couldn't find any reference to the details of the build and hardware. It appears to use a Polaris-like motor nacelle, ailerons, elevator but rudderless. I also happen to have spare hardware from a full size Polaris (Grayson, 30A esc, 1800 to 2200 mah 3s) to drive a 7035 e-prop.
Inquiring minds want to know. BTW... I'm a big fan of your expertise and contribution to the FOB camera thread. Thanks in advance.
I've built two like this, with Polaris influence (I have a polaris also). This thread shows a video of #2, with links back through the build of #1. The main differences between #1 and #2 are ailerons vs tailerons, and the -2 deg. negative angle of incidence (relative to the wing root chord of #2) on the motor pod and elevator (like the Polaris). It still could use more... not nicely behaved at all throttle settings like the Polaris. I have somewhat complex throttle to elevator mixing on #2 as well, and usually need a bit of up elevator compensation on the hand launch (I use my spring loaded trainer switch to toggle the launch correction. But once at flying speed it's a nice flying plane (see the vid).

I think the Blue Wonder will definitely fly the plane (but less of a zoomer) and the full Polaris (2212-06 2200 kV) power system is over kill with higher than necessary wing loading and power system. I used the intermediate Grayson Microjet vs (2208 little brother to the bigger 2212-06) which is just right for me (see the vid).
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 16, 2012, 08:39 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts
Made it to the field today and though I didnt have anyone to take a vid, I was able to trim out "el cheapo" Flies like a dream. very smooth flier. Flies better than my T-28. Ran some circuits and few loops and rolls at about 1/2 throttle for about an 8 minute flight time. The GH V2 provides plenty of thrust. I do think I have her under-propped though. The biggest prop I had in my toolbox was a 6 x 4 APC. Broke one on landing. Thinking I will go to a 7 x 5 next.

There was a nice young boy with his Dad and he was very intriqued with the plane. I had an extra in the car and gave it to hime with the promise he would build an RC version. Talk about a smile ? Made my day !

So now I'm inspired to make the next version. Probably an EDF. These are great little airplanes for $10.00. Another club member was there and after seeing it fly said: " I guess I gotta get me one of those Air Hogs !"

-Hawk
Old May 17, 2012, 04:24 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
There was a nice young boy with his Dad and he was very intriqued with the plane. I had an extra in the car and gave it to hime with the promise he would build an RC version. Talk about a smile ? Made my day !
Hawk,
Your story made my day. It reminded me to look for ways to pass the joy on to others and the best way is introducing the young ones to the hobby. We've all been flying in the park when some kids come running up to find out about it. It's easy to dismiss their enthusiasm when we're busy flying, trimming, videoing, etc. Landing, letting them see it up close, explaining how it was built, discussion about radios, letting them handle the transmitter, all could contribute to the future of our hobby. I guarantee you that 5 minutes spent with a curious kid will be remembered the rest of their lives. Not to mention giving them a plane.
Thanks for reminding us Hawk.
Mike
Old May 17, 2012, 04:44 PM
Mid-MI (Lansing)
Joined Sep 2010
67 Posts
Tom,
Very cool build info. Thanks again for sharing. The vid is evidence of impressive roll rate. I see no evidence of struts or any reinforcements for the main wings. I've seen some other builds that may or may not have had the high-G loop rate you demonstrated that felt the need for carbon or wood spars. You didn't and wings were clipped but still no breakage. Encouraging.
Thanks.
Mike
Old May 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelzup View Post
Tom,
Very cool build info. Thanks again for sharing. The vid is evidence of impressive roll rate. I see no evidence of struts or any reinforcements for the main wings. I've seen some other builds that may or may not have had the high-G loop rate you demonstrated that felt the need for carbon or wood spars. You didn't and wings were clipped but still no breakage. Encouraging.
Thanks.
Mike
Yes, the wings have quite a thick section and have proven to be strong enough for my power system and the way I fly. I don't do any structural mods unless needed to prevent in-flight failures. Unnecessary weight is the ememy of any plane.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 20, 2012, 08:09 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,807 Posts
A gusty day at the field with only a couple of us there. I took it upon myself to attempt hand launching the Titan myself. Mistake #1. She torqued righ into the ground splitting the rear fuse in two and as she rolled over on her back spilt off the the horiz stab on the port side. lt's repairable, but I do have a question as this seems like it is fairly cheap " beer cooler" foam.

Will it hold up to epoxy or should I just use hot glue ? I experimented with Welders on a spare piece and it burned right through. Both breaks are fairly clean and I was going to use a couple of toothpicks and some 2-part epoxy but perhaps hot glue will work just as well ?

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Hawk