Joined Dec 2006
5,182 Posts
Seems tail-heavy.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
But not a big problem, An hour and a lot of hot glue later this is what i came up with... cause failure is never an option.

"The Pelican"
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:55 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Nice rebuild! and you are right! failure is not an option! as long as we learn from our crashes, it is all good! That flight resembled the flight of a scratchbuilt F-35 edf that I built. Mine ended in a nasty tip stall that lead to a "death spiral" that I was unable to recover from. It looked like you were either tail heavy or the engine thustline was off. What is the AUW of your model?
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 17, 2010, 08:56 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Heres the video of the build in heavierrr crosswinds. It flew great . . . a min at a time

Needs more R&D...maybe this weekend. I gotta get back to work...

Massive crosswinds on a twin EDF Air Hogs Titan (0 min 23 sec)

Look out for the wings flexing massively during the loop. I didn't have anything to support the wings but i might have to add a carbon spar.
Last edited by Vyas; Jun 18, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:04 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
cool! congrats on the flight! Looks like you might need to stiffen up the wing! Also, it looks like you are getting some up elevator thrust vectoring from the "jet wash" due to the positioning of the nacelles. It looks like down elevator would be out of the "jet wash". A T-tail might even it out a bit. Good luck on the R &D!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:04 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Nice rebuild! and you are right! failure is not an option! as long as we learn from our crashes, it is all good! That flight resembled the flight of a scratchbuilt F-35 edf that I built. Mine ended in a nasty tip stall that lead to a "death spiral" that I was unable to recover from. It looked like you were either tail heavy or the engine thustline was off. What is the AUW of your model?
Air hogs RC conversion death spiral ... (0 min 29 sec)

Talking of death spirals; heres is one from today - flew right back up...

AUW is about 960 grams.... The thrust line is ok, it might be a little tail heavy. I ll have to move the battery up. I ll be flying again this weekend, more videos then.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:06 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
cool! congrats on the flight! Looks like you might need to stiffen up the wing! Also, it looks like you are getting some up elevator thrust vectoring from the "jet wash" due to the positioning of the nacelles. It looks like down elevator would be out of the "jet wash". A T-tail might even it out a bit. Good luck on the R &D!
You are right, the elevator is right in there, behind the jets, so its reaaaallly sensitive to the elevator as you see in the video above. I was thinking of doing a T tail myself. Great minds think alike
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:13 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
I've always wanted to try a twin setup... what are the stats on your power setup? How many batteries are you using?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:20 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
The duct fans are each 5400 KV, 390g of thrust running on 20Amp esc each, with a 1000mah 3 cell 30c battery.

The thrust is great, and the plane literally floats, but needs full power to stay in the air. Twin ducts are nice, but the ones i have both rotate the same direction, only if i could get a reverse blade on one and have them counter rotate to cancel out the torque roll.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 09:36 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Vyas nice!!! your getting there man....seems like it needs a bit more power though...great R&D man

Tom..got ya on the size of the motor im using not being part of where my cg shud b...but the cg on a pusher/edf is different than on a conventional prop job just as the wing sweep etc is too...so like u stated im gonna start at 25% of wing root as i was thinking and see what happens...what the heck its only a 10$ airframe and g glue is cheap ...happy bashing and flyn guys.. DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:06 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
damn , that looks like fun great vid.
-( wishes i had power system for mine ..LOL ) - may have to dig up some old brushed stuff i have , just for heck of it . LOL

great video again , love those twin EDF .
ah saw this . http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1233968
and well i know one of my brushed motors has RE magnets in it and has wicked power for a brushed motor ( i took it from my old sail plane & used it in a boat and the boat stood up on it's screw and ran rite up on sand and back out in water ( nice way to pollish a brass prop too ) ) . LOL . just have to find the old prop & mount. LOL
the old speed controll was a 3 pos switch , off > through small power resistor > pass through (full power) .
it halled my old sail plane up . had a nice spinner with folding prop, just have to find that folding prop.

::
the motor is 5.9oz and is much smaller than i remember , but i do remember it needs a shaft / prop adaptor . the prorp saver type i have now is .5mm dia too small. LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:01 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
well found my old BR motor .
it is a bit smaller that my other glider motor .

the 8x4 prop was just hangin' around , so it became the test prop.

i had to make the prop adptor . as my LHS don;t have them in size to match that motor shaft . nor do they have a gear box that would fit if i wanted. LOL

i tested the prop adaptor on / with my dremmel at higest speed for 5 min . no vibration beyond what the thing has normaly, and was solid .

but could i find a nimh 7.2 pack ( share it with my RC car ) . or a 9.6 for same nope. no love . this shocks me as all my boats and cars use 7.2 & 9.6 NiMh packs and LHS only had a few over priced ones . I was sure wally or shack or such woul have em ... nope.

:: mad mount and tested with 2 packs i found . The 7.2 is ok and seems to be thrust level i remember. but teh 9.6 screams , but it's pack leads get hot . LOL & it blew the titan rite off my table . i'm hoping to get away with 7.2 pack but prolly need 9.6 v for any climb . & i will have to replace the wimpy wires on the 9.6's leads. ( or find a smaller prop some place )
i will order one of the kits from grason hobbies for outrunner, lipo, esc, & prop ~50$ as a package . the same kit was shown to fly a sky hawk no probs at 1/2 throtle . then i will order a charger in same go . soon .
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 21, 2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:29 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
after messing arround in the motor layout , and getting board at work . LOL
i came up with this idea .. i know not very original ..
but a few ideas stuck in one pic . I'll get th3 foam to build this one soon.

the wings are longer than in pic , just did not want to waste space . LOL

any ideas , thought's . I will prolly do up a mesh in 3d max later . play arround with some ideas in more details where i can print off the parts to cut .
(corrected body width in top down pic
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 21, 2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 08:13 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
after messing arround in the motor layout , and getting board at work . LOL
i came up with this idea .. i know not very original ..
but a few ideas stuck in one pic . I'll get th3 foam to build this one soon.

the wings are longer than in pic , just did not want to waste space . LOL

any ideas , thought's . I will prolly do up a mesh in 3d max later . play arround with some ideas in more details where i can print off the parts to cut .
(corrected body width in top down pic
Booms! Booms! Please do the Booms -- gotta see that one!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:25 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
well i just gaot back from home depot ( 1/2 inch pink 200 foam) = (booms material)
and some walmart knock off depron like board . ( will chuck it in bath tub after wife has a bath , the warm soapy water shoudl get the card board off )

dude i just wish i had a lipo & esc for brush . ( i'm making a analog servo driven mechanical speed controler using a 3 tap power resistor (from boat) , i will build it and poast , its a trick i made when building RC boats , gives off, slow , med , full bypass . and was way faster and smaler that off the shelf SC & ESC 's of teh day because of full bypass . I have a dedicated uBEC(4 servos off 6-24v dc source) )

i can't wait till i have enough to order a motor&esc&lipo kit from grayson hobbies . but still need a charger .
how long can i get by with thier $20 one ? any one use one ?

- ps where should i put the build log for the titan booms build ?