HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:55 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
I had a bit of excitement this weekend with my pusher. I was still using the wings with a friction fit. I remember thinking they were getting loose and it was time to glue them in, but I spaced it and went flying with it anyway. Well, after flying WOT for a while sure enough I lost a wing in flight. Not sure exactly what happened after the crash (no pulling out of that one), but my controller somehow got shorted and ended up melting a hole in the fuse!

It smelled and looked pretty bad and was was thinking I would trash the fuse. But after I got home I saw a can of "Great Stuff" and thought I'd give it a try. It worked really well! After a little light weight spackle and some sanding you wont know it ever crashed.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:08 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
bill - hows the aerobatic performance?

right now im running a 1600kv w/ a 6x5 3 blade prop and get pretty good pef. next one im thinking of using the 200kv i have here that can hit about 250watts with a 6x4. should give it some juice

also just a gripe about edf's: ive found that they dont have very good perf... a edf64mm running at about 300watts has nowhere near the perf of a prop quiv.
Yes, I share that same gripe.... but I can't leave them alone! There are so many factors and variables with edf's that they can be quite frustrating (and then rewarding!) if you don't get them right. And if you do get a good performer -- the flight times are like 3-4mins!lol! I'm still learning, but my most successful and recent edf build came about by building the plane around the power system. I'm going to try and apply that to my next edf titan build.
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:29 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
bill - hows the aerobatic performance?

right now im running a 1600kv w/ a 6x5 3 blade prop and get pretty good pef. next one im thinking of using the 200kv i have here that can hit about 250watts with a 6x4. should give it some juice

also just a gripe about edf's: ive found that they dont have very good perf... a edf64mm running at about 300watts has nowhere near the perf of a prop quiv.
Well, it could loop but really need more power to do much more that just slow fly and glide. The video Tom posted was that plane, but once I give it a 24 gram motor it will have plenty of power.

The all up weight of the system pictures was only 320 grams!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Bill its starting to look like the "Clash of the titan" not the bash....

On the CG discussion, I took out alot of the forward sweep and dihedral. So ive really changed the whole incidence of the wing. With a (re-enforced) firewall mounted 450 isnt my CG gonna be more forward than the stock , like 18-25% of the wing root ?....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:02 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
bill - cmon man a whole new airframe is only $10!! that thing would have gone in the trash if it was me

ok your convincing me to repair myn instead of building a new.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:15 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olwarbirds View Post
Bill its starting to look like the "Clash of the titan" not the bash....

On the CG discussion, I took out alot of the forward sweep and dihedral. So ive really changed the whole incidence of the wing. With a (re-enforced) firewall mounted 450 isnt my CG gonna be more forward than the stock , like 18-25% of the wing root ?....DJ
No, the CG is not determined by how big your power system is, but you can certainly change the CG (to the wrong point) by adding that weight! The plane you mentioned will likely be quite nose heavy and need up elevator trim to fly straight and level. The center of lift of the wing is the starting point for locating the CG, so you have to adjust the location of anything that can be moved to balance at that point. If you add a heavy motor, the battery might need to move aft to compensate, or tail weight added.

25% aft of the LE is usually a good starting point for a straight-winged plane. If there is ANY sweep back to the wings, the CG needs to also move back so you need to adjust the hardware component positions or add weight to make it balance there. There are on-line free calculator programs that will give the starting point for CG for any wing configuration (e.g. swept and/or tapered tapered wings) just by plugging in the dimensions, A google search on "cg calculator" will find them fast.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:57 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
LOL we may need a thread for "your worst - still flying titan"

i found my wings getting lose and put that wing bolt in . but now .. it's a tad pain to put in and take out . tape used to be a good way of doing it, but i even found tape coudl not be trusted. then that may be due to me rememebring balsa & hard wood kits for slope gliders i made that had steel rods & ID brass tubes linking wings to/through body . ( 2m - 3M wind span wood and monocoat )
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
bill - cmon man a whole new airframe is only $10!! that thing would have gone in the trash if it was me

ok your convincing me to repair myn instead of building a new.
Lol, I can't tell you how many times I thought I was going to scrap a wrecked plane and then get home and have it back together that night. I have a spare frame or two...but I have other plans for those!

I covered the area with lightweight spackel and sanded it, it looks good as new. I have to rewind the motor though, it got toasted, and it wont fly for a couple of weeks as I'm out of town for a road trip. If you don't hear from me for a while don't worry...I'll be back!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:11 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I've posted this in another thread on the FPV forum as I will eventually be putting FPV gear in it, but here's my conversion. I have really small tailerons and as a result not a lot of roll authority, but I didn't want an acrobatic model, just nice smooth turns for FPV.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:47 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
I've posted this in another thread on the FPV forum as I will eventually be putting FPV gear in it, but here's my conversion. I have really small tailerons and as a result not a lot of roll authority, but I didn't want an acrobatic model, just nice smooth turns for FPV.
Looks good! The tailerons aren't that much smaller than mine, I bet the full length wings have something to do with it. What are you using to power it? I was planning on trying one to fly my VadoHD with, but I haven't gotten that far yet.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:52 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
How slow does it roll, e.g. like 2 seconds for a full rev.? Did you leave in the full stock dihedral (helps roll stability but hinders roll rate). I'm doing a build with much larger tailerons and stock wings (initially), but your experience will help my planning/expectations.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 15, 2010, 04:52 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
It doesn't roll. I managed a spiral dive with it, but that's about as good as it gets. I really didn't want this to be acrobatic, I just wanted something really smooth for carrying my soon to arrive, gopro HD

For motor I'm using this with a 6x4 prop because it's what I had in my spare box.
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/a220812-18...-p-402625.html

I have a 1300mAh 3s lipo upfront at the moment, but will probably cut a battery hatch under the wings when I put my FPV pod on it.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 15, 2010, 07:48 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
I wish my LHS had better pricing . I may just have to order online. I do try to support my LHS , but 50$ vs 20$ for about the same motor is a bit rich . LOL

I'm sort of getting board of hand chucking , and hunting for less than fair thermals . LOL
even something to take it up just to glide in would be handy.

but i am seriously thinking of shorter wing on next build . depends what i come up with in my head .LOL at ~15$ per blank i'm not afraid to be a bit crazy . infact thinking a float plane would let me fly off the pond just up the road, but i need power for that . LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:37 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Heres the updates from my Twin EDF jet build with the titan.

When i got home from a boring day at work, my package from Hobby king had arrived. It took me 30 min to get the tail surfaces up and operational. Here are some pictures ...

Did it fly? Yes ... till it crashed. Heres the footage;
Air HOgs Titan First Flight Twin EDF (0 min 29 sec)

What i noticed is that it needs full throttle at all times... i lowered the throttle and it sank down.
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Old Jun 17, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
This is what i recovered from the crash....
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas