Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:16 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
that was awsome . ~7a small motor to get up ?
i bet you got a few flys out of that lipo pack , especialy if you glide back down .
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2010, 08:30 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Where's everyone setting the CofG for these? The stock CofG is obviously way too far back.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 13, 2010, 09:22 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
I don't have motor , and my CoG is almost on stock, In wind i move it forward up to 1/2 inch . But it also flew ok when it was nose heavy , just needed a bunch of up trim .LOL

so without power , it flys well with just a tad ahead of stock CoG .
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:33 AM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Where's everyone setting the CofG for these? The stock CofG is obviously way too far back.
Start at 20-25% of the wing root back from leading edge...around 70mm

Nice looking conversions guys...almost have my pylon racing titan done, hope it holds together...will post pics and vids soon....happy converting and flyn DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Jun 13, 2010, 11:59 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
When I took mine out to some long grass to do some glide tests to find the correct CofG, I arrived at 70mm as being about optimum. I was just curious as to what everyone else was using.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:08 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
The stock CG may look too far aft, but it is pretty close. Swept wings move the center of lift aft, and the CG must move aft with it or you will have a severely nose heavy plane.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:09 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
That's what I thought at first too. When I did the first version of my Titan conversion, which was similar to the one in Tom/Billwhit's just-posted video (lightweight with small motor on top), I experimented with moving the CG around. I expected it to need to be considerably farther forward than the stock CG, so I started out that way. But in that configuration, the nose would drop precipitously in a glide. That resulted in a couple of dorked-in landings (with minor damage to the wings where they were yanked out of the sockets). So I kept moving the CG back farther and farther, until the plane had a nice even glide (power off, elevator at neutral position, preset to be faired with stab). And guess where that CG was? Pretty much right at the stock location, about 12.7cm aft of the LE at the wing root.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini-warbird retract mod
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:23 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
love that rudder motor pod .

the rudder on these things is pretty thick and sturdy.

Still i found the tail section had some flex , even before foam was cut . Are you going to stiffen the aft any to take the pull of the motor ?
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:02 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
I want to first get the tailevators hinged and glued in place before deciding on strengthening the vertical stab. I'm not very concerned with weakness in the thrust direction, but moreso side-to-side. My Polaris seaplane has a similar design (3 layers of 6mm Depron thick), and there's no CF in the stock build. There won't normally be any significant side forces until a bad landing that catches a tip and snaps the plane around. If I do add any strengthening, it might be a vertical CF rod through the pod on both sides, along the rudder surfaces. I did that on my Polaris.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
I found that fiber reinforced tape greatly stiffens this plane up.

My first titan frame has had a number of wrecks. i busted the left wing 2 times, cracked the nose off twice amoung many crashes that have bent it up.

gorilla glue works great for putting it back together! and cheap. i use the brown original and get a 16oz bottle for $15 that will last for months.

i could definately rebuild this one but am also thinking of trashing it and taking the new one i have out of the bag... currently its sitting with the nose busted off.

im thinking the easiest build would probably to leave the plane all stock (wings swept w dihedral), a forward facing motor pod (ez* style), elevator and rudder. What kind of flight performance do you think this will provide? I can loop my current setup and have hesitently done vert lazy rolls. doubt you'd be able to roll it with just a rudder.

Hey Tom, I feel like in many of the same threads as you... all what planes do you have?

I have:
polaris
seadart (i like seaplanes)
plain blu f22
heptad
air hogs ez titan

captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:43 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
im thinking the easiest build would probably to leave the plane all stock (wings swept w dihedral), a forward facing motor pod (ez* style), elevator and rudder. What kind of flight performance do you think this will provide? I can loop my current setup and have hesitently done vert lazy rolls. doubt you'd be able to roll it with just a rudder.
That's pretty much what my test flight on the weekend was. I went with a pusher pod because it allows a shorter height. I was using the 10 gram outrunner which didn't have much authority so I can't say if there were any bad tendencies. My next test flight I'll put a larger motor and battery on it, but that may not be for a few weeks as I am leaving town for a trip.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post

Hey Tom, I feel like in many of the same threads as you... all what planes do you have?

I have:
polaris
seadart (i like seaplanes)
plain blu f22
heptad
air hogs ez titan

Too many to name without getting off topic here... several GWS planes and various others, several scratch builds and mods for AV.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:50 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
bill - hows the aerobatic performance?

right now im running a 1600kv w/ a 6x5 3 blade prop and get pretty good pef. next one im thinking of using the 200kv i have here that can hit about 250watts with a 6x4. should give it some juice

also just a gripe about edf's: ive found that they dont have very good perf... a edf64mm running at about 300watts has nowhere near the perf of a prop quiv.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:55 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Everytime I think I'm done with the titan, you guys pull me right back in!!! This plane is so cool!

Tom - That rudder mount looks great! Your invention has provided a simple and effective way to bore out the fuse! That could definitely come in handy! I may use that one! (another EDF may be in the works...)

Seaplane! hmmmm..... always wanted one of those...
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice