HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2011, 09:42 AM
http://stevesrcaddiction.wordp
Joined Feb 2011
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
On 3s that 8x4 prop will work well, with 2s it COULD be ok BUT with the lower power your plane's CG issues, if any, will be highlighted if it's off since you may not be able to power out of trouble if needed. When I maiden a plane I want enough oomph to pull me out of most any situation......trying to trim and fly a strange aircraft is tough enough we know, but an underpowered plane just adds anxiety! LOL
The clipped wing w/less dihedral has an xlnt gliding personality and does it without the stock setup's drag (the longer std wing and dihedral add stability with the downside being lots of drag in comparison to the flattened clipped wings).

I'd say a good idea would be to glide test it into tall grass or such.......THAT would help a bunch to give you an idea of her personality and make the maiden a success

--Ray
Thanks Ray,

Does it matter that i did not remove any dihedral from the clipped wings where they meet the fuselage? I didn't want to do any modifications to the wing slots since I wanted the ability to use interchangable wings. I actually have a couple spare servos so I may just add ailerons to the long wings too.

I agree we should probably maiden with the 3s battery to get it trimmed out. The throws on all the surfaces is quite large especially on Hi rates on my Dx5e. I think I will have my dad dial in some lower rates on his Dx6I. He is still a beginner pilot so having a very twitchy plane may not be the best thing yet lol. I know what you mean about trimming out a plane...man when i rebuilt my 109 i had to cut open the nose pull out the broken firewall and motor, fabricate a plywood mount guess on the amount of thrust angle to use and glue it back together. I got it wrong the first time had to re-open her up and change the angle to provide more down thrust than i initially though required and even still to trim her out for hands off flying had to put in about 8 clicks of down elevator trim. but once i gave it that trim she flew better than with the stock motor...got her up to probably 40mph on a 2s battery, can't wait to try with a 3s lol hopefully the wings can take it.
scote621 is offline Find More Posts by scote621
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 09:50 AM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scote621 View Post
Thanks Ray,

Does it matter that i did not remove any dihedral from the clipped wings where they meet the fuselage? I didn't want to do any modifications to the wing slots since I wanted the ability to use interchangable wings. I actually have a couple spare servos so I may just add ailerons to the long wings too.

I agree we should probably maiden with the 3s battery to get it trimmed out. The throws on all the surfaces is quite large especially on Hi rates on my Dx5e. I think I will have my dad dial in some lower rates on his Dx6I. He is still a beginner pilot so having a very twitchy plane may not be the best thing yet lol. I know what you mean about trimming out a plane...man when i rebuilt my 109 i had to cut open the nose pull out the broken firewall and motor, fabricate a plywood mount guess on the amount of thrust angle to use and glue it back together. I got it wrong the first time had to re-open her up and change the angle to provide more down thrust than i initially though required and even still to trim her out for hands off flying had to put in about 8 clicks of down elevator trim. but once i gave it that trim she flew better than with the stock motor...got her up to probably 40mph on a 2s battery, can't wait to try with a 3s lol hopefully the wings can take it.
I didn't mess with the wing slots in my build, just modded the wings a bit so they would plug in at the reduced angle. Like you. I wondered if this would work and I didn't want to go cutting on something I couldn't change back. Now I know better, flatten and clip for me .
Ailerons on the stock wing WITH the stock dihedral does work OK, Alpea41's motor glider flew very well (it's what hooked me...lol).

The 109 story was good, I remember planes like that
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old May 20, 2011, 10:04 AM
http://stevesrcaddiction.wordp
Joined Feb 2011
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
I didn't mess with the wing slots in my build, just modded the wings a bit so they would plug in at the reduced angle. Like you. I wondered if this would work and I didn't want to go cutting on something I couldn't change back. Now I know better, flatten and clip for me .
Ailerons on the stock wing WITH the stock dihedral does work OK, Alpea41's motor glider flew very well (it's what hooked me...lol).

The 109 story was good, I remember planes like that
Haha yea the 109 is from airfield the 800mm series sold by nitroplanes. Was pretty much what I learned how to fly on so there were a few rough crashes and landings (split fuselage seam at nose, bent nose to the right, literally broke plane in half in front of tail servos, broke motor mount tore wing in half at both sides where it meets fuselage mounting plate). And after all that damage I kept at it and just re-glued, re-aligned replaced esc and motor/mount motor and the thing keeps flying great. So now that I can actually fly it like i know what im doing I use it when i feel like being stupid, low inverted passes, dives with low pullouts etc. Makes you feel a lot better than risking a nicer looking plane with.
scote621 is offline Find More Posts by scote621
Old May 20, 2011, 10:59 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,869 Posts
My flying buddy who hooked me on these Air Hogs showed up today with his build. He had a turtle deck and canopy from an old A-4 kit that fits like a glove on the back of the Titan. He can hog out the foam underneath for days to lay out all the hardware.

He cut the wing root off at the molded lip, and that allows the wing to plug in perfectly for no dihedral. And I think he's planning on going with a full flying stab.
Gonna be a cool little plane.
Boogie_ is online now Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old May 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
My flying buddy who hooked me on these Air Hogs showed up today with his build. He had a turtle deck and canopy from an old A-4 kit that fits like a glove on the back of the Titan. He can hog out the foam underneath for days to lay out all the hardware.

He cut the wing root off at the molded lip, and that allows the wing to plug in perfectly for no dihedral. And I think he's planning on going with a full flying stab.
Gonna be a cool little plane.
Very nice! I still have a ton of fun flying my Titan Batplane. I find the top mounted motor has much less pitch sensitivity that my rear pusher had. My canopy isn't quite as fancy...it's from a Dollar Tree soap bottle.

Also, for anyone interested. I've done both tailerons and ailerons at this point. While I find the tailerons to work ok and is an easier build, I much prefer the performance of the ailerons.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old May 20, 2011, 11:15 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,790 Posts
Booger

That looks great
The shaped nose really added to it.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old May 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
my current build im doing a nacelle mounted (ala polaris inspired) 2200kv with a 6x4. Excited to see how it turns out.

Now to clip the wings or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I hope you've seen my posts since I built two like this, the first with thrust line parallel to the wing chord and normal stab, and the second with the motor pod and horizontal stab angled down about 2 deg. like the Polaris. Both have pitch issues when throttling up, but the second version was easier to correct with some TX mixing. The first had serious down pitch which made hand launches very precarious and not as fun to fly.
Quote:
Thanks for the notes. I made the nacelle exactly parrallel woth the bottem of the fuse.

It sounds like it was making it pitch down so maybe some slight up pitch would help?

Will post some pics soon glad you saw my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The bottom of the fuse is highly curved, so not sure what you mean. Put a stick across the center of the LE and TE at wing root cavity to get the chord incidence angle, and reference to that. Down angle of the motor pod reduces the down pitch. Ideally the thrust line needs to go through the VERTICAL CG spot to negate any pitch effects on throttle up, but that is not possible with this plane unless it had a very tiny prop (I use am EMP5x5 with a 2200 kV outrunner on mine).

Search for my posts... there's a lot of pics and some video in many of them. If I were to build a third one, I'd just go pusher jet with the motor on a stick in the butt.
Here's some pics. In the one you can see where I tried to make the nacelle parrallell with the bottem of the fuse. do you guys recommend more down or up thrust?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old May 20, 2011, 11:39 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,136 Posts
Thinking of buying this cockpit/canopy/nose to convert my Titan into something resembling (loosely) a F-100 Super Sabre. And I'll mount some Nerf Whistling Darts under the wings so the plane whistles through the air.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,563 Posts
Quote:
Here's some pics. In the one you can see where I tried to make the nacelle parrallell with the bottem of the fuse. do you guys recommend more down or up thrust?
You need a lot more down thrust. My first one was similar to yours, but mounted lower on the vert. stab. So you will have even more down pitch when you throttle up than my first one, which was pretty bad. Here's my second one with the horiz. stab also raised up into the prop wash and given a couple deg. of negative incidence along with the motor pod to help offset the down pitch. It's much better, but still needs some elevator to throttle mixing to fly close to level at all speeds:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3869407

The thrust line needs to go through the vertical CG point to eliminate most of the down pitch with throttle advance. But that would point the thrust line near the bottom of the cockpit, and you wouldn't be able to use a decent sized prop.

Be ready for the plane to dive when you advance the throttle with your current set up!
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; May 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 06:51 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
Thinking of buying this cockpit/canopy/nose to convert my Titan into something resembling (loosely) a F-100 Super Sabre. And I'll mount some Nerf Whistling Darts under the wings so the plane whistles through the air.
Have you had success with the Nerf whistling darts before? I tried it once but I couldn't hear a thing. I'm wondering if I mounted them wrong or just had some duds or something.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old May 20, 2011, 10:19 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit View Post
Prime, I'm looking forward to a flight report on this one. My friend tried one similar but had trouble getting it to fly. I think he screwed up on the canards...
yeah bill i'm doing everthing i can to be sure only +1 to 2 deg AA on canards
or plain neutral.

but a majic ammount of reflex / spoileron.

lol
::\\

some great stuff in here again.\boogie & cappin' some great lookin builds guys
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old May 21, 2011, 03:10 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
agreed!!!! those nose jobs look gorgeous -- completely transforms the plane! May have to try it!!! -- but I HATE sanding foam!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old May 21, 2011, 03:33 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
sometimes i hate handling foam too. it reminds me of nails on the blackboard
Old May 21, 2011, 08:29 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
try this .. olfa knife , the cheap ones .... extend the whole blade and shave / carve your way close .
then , wet sand . i use large pro nail boards from sally's ..(some times it's good to tag along with wify to suppliers n such as many pro grooming tools adapt well to foam and balsa )

you could use any wet sand compatible paper of course & no squeeky sounds .

lol
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old May 21, 2011, 10:01 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts

always great advice and cool techniques. LOLz!

new plane is coming online. hope to maiden tomorrow high winds or not