SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2010, 10:33 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Nice job! Have you removed some of the dihedral? I decided to go for a simple elevon setup for control. I'm just waiting for the motor mount glue to dry and then all I will have left to do is setup the control surfaces. My first one is just a hatchet job, just to test how well these things fly. I have another 2 under the bed waiting for a proper conversion.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:42 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
nice paint job!

let us know how the elevons go. I am using dual servos for my ailerons but dont have them setup as elevons. i have the connected to a knob that I can make them both shift up and down making them flaperons / spoilerons for desired flight characteristics.

others here are using tailerons only with good success.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:15 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Looking good! That's just a sloper...right?

I should have my pylon stock glider conversion ready for a maiden this weekend. I went as light as possible just to see how well it performs as a glider with rudder. I'm doing a road trip soon, so after the maiden it will be a little while for my next one.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:27 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,993 Posts
Post#49 crash looks like elevon control was attempted with this plane... never got a reply to my post to know for sure. But it looks to me elevons won't control pitch attitude for stable flight with this airframe.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:36 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
well was wayyyyyy..... too windy ...

for idea of wind speed ::for my jet set , it was a wind speed = to top forward speed of my jet-set , it just hoverd , then within a second a gust threw it 1/2 a baseball field back .LOL ( it's gluing back up now ) :: I usually bring the wee plane for fun and wind judging sort of. )

any how with the wind freshening and the huge ball field nets under strain from wind , i figured they would act like a sort wind break . and so i chucked my glider.

and it just hoverd at about a foot above head height about 20 feet in front of me. aileron where only helpful in keeping level , and ruder was allowing me to slip/strafe left and right . LOL

i was sort of amazed .
( never walk up behind the hovering glider , i made some sort of back pressure , and she dropped like a rock ) LOL

so i figure no guts no glory, rite , and gave it a good huck .
i banked and let it take speed form wind , and turned back into it , quite high above or tree line here . started , dipping nose to see if i could grab some up wind forward speed , and was ok . so i need to work on some more balance . ( i put a few pennies on forward hatch )
3rd big chuck. it flew a nice arc around the field , and then wind pushed it quite fast out over the soccer field . un expected strong gust .
came down hard on nose ... 0 damage .

but wings are too lose now . so... need to make a wing locking device .

still ~14oz + 3 pennies near leading edge of main wing As only mass out of original CG placement . I wish the wind would die back down . One of the guys who saw my plane while driving by said he can get good thermals of the parking lot on a still day (2m easy lady sail plane - like i used to have ) , just fly over it for a bit and it will lift well .
- i cant wait to see if all i need is a calm day and sun heated parking lot .

i found the way i cut the rudder made it a bit strong i had to use a 2nd rate
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:44 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
Oops, I meant to say that I'm going to use tailerons but wrote elevons. I've just been down to the field to do some glide tests to try and work out battery placement for CofG. Looks like best CofG for me is about 70mm from the leading edge at the wing root.

I still want to know about the stock dihedral. Has anyone had any success with these things without removing some of the dihedral? I'm eventually going to use this for FPV (if it survives the setup flights) and I want a really stable model, which is why I'm not clipping the wings or removing the dihedral.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Jun 11, 2010, 02:59 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegroove View Post
Oops, I meant to say that I'm going to use tailerons but wrote elevons. I've just been down to the field to do some glide tests to try and work out battery placement for CofG. Looks like best CofG for me is about 70mm from the leading edge at the wing root.

I still want to know about the stock dihedral. Has anyone had any success with these things without removing some of the dihedral? I'm eventually going to use this for FPV (if it survives the setup flights) and I want a really stable model, which is why I'm not clipping the wings or removing the dihedral.
I'll be test flying a glider conversion with the stock dihedral this weekend, so stay tuned. I should be abel to get video too if it flies well. I'm considering flying a camera on mine too, but I am waiting until I get a few test flights and figure out exactly what I want.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:15 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
Quote:
My twin-motor Titan (photos in post #11 of this thread) has the stock wingspan and stock dihedral, and flies just fine. It has conventional full-house controls though (elevator, ailerons, rudder, throttle). I'm not so sure about suitability for FPV. Yes it is a pretty stable, easy flier, but not as lazy and self-righting as high-wing models with dihedral, like Super Cub and E-starter. The amount of lift seems to fall off more quickly for a given bank-angle compared to those planes...so flying a stable, constant-altitude pattern is not as effortless. That could be something to do with my tacked-onto-the-trailing-edge ailerons though...maybe cutting the ailerons out from the existing airfoil would keep the wing more efficient in a bank? I tend to transition into a swooping-down low pass after a turn/reversal, then climb back up. With wings-level, give it some "up" elevator and it wants to climb like...well...like an elevator! I flew it recently in 8-10 mph wind. While I was holding it for launch, just by tilting the nose up I could feel the strong lifting power of those wings. Then I ran the power up, and all I had to do to launch it was release my grip on the fuse, and up and away she went (mostly up!).
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,993 Posts
Quote:

Ah... better! I'm also planning to use tailerons... bigger than Billwhit used on his, so I'm hoping to get at least one rev/sec with stock wings. But it will be a while before I finish my build. I'm using a tractor motor on a rudder pod, and am still working on that mod.

I'll be interested in any other in-flight video of taileron mods with this plane to show the roll rate.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:18 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
sorry mine is the stock dihedral , it lets her settle nice . In fact it's what helped it stay afloat while i made some stupid stick moves.

now i have spruce spars , and my wings are very rigid , but the fresh from bag also have this fall rite into place flying . if your CoG is good and your are all trim , you should be able to let go of the stick , as mine will fly straight like an arrow once it settles itself .

i'm still wondering why my walking behind my glider dropped it , it should have pushed it up or forward ? .. just like a bow wave , or slope would ?? any how .

budy i met tonight has a super cub , and is sure if he puts his float prop on , and guns it he can towe me up . he says he has towed others ?
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:22 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
I got some onboard video with my gumcam but have been thinking of using this as a fpv test rig.

using the stock wing dyhedrel setup is interesting. Im curious if thats more stable the a flat wing setup.

ez titan av (9 min 23 sec)
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 11, 2010, 08:29 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
budy i met tonight has a super cub , and is sure if he puts his float prop on , and guns it he can towe me up . he says he has towed others ?
I installed a remotely-controlled tow hook on my Super Cub, then used it for towing different chuck-gliders up, then releasing. It's been a while since I did it, and it hadn't yet occurred to me to try it with a Titan, but I'm sure my Cub (brushless upgraded) would have no trouble towing up a stock Titan. Here's a video I took of it with a different chuck glider:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngiR_-AiUNQ
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jun 11, 2010, 11:19 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
nice , and that was a no RC glider. cool . Hmm could be fun .
Also i think those planes looked like a good deal for what comes in the box . (may have to get one with the lipo kit )
Old Jun 12, 2010, 01:47 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
well got sick of using tape to keep wings on during hard landings .
I know the crash forces are lowerd with pop-off wings , but they do start to pop-off more and more. I don;t want to glue . so ..ny-bolt in mid . but on inside & hidden under radio bay area.

2 real thin bits of ply cut and drilled to shape .
1 cut to lenght ny-bolt.
the overlap of the 2 ply tabs is drilled to take the threaded ny-bolt & just fit tight .
the back of each tab is hot glued into slots the i use a heated brass strip to melt a path .
then coverd tabs in hot glue , and in they went . installed and drilled the pilot hole . now if a wing pops off .. it's glue time . LOL
Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:07 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,993 Posts
Here's a video I shot of Billwhit's second Titan version... a low power lightweight mod with pylon mounted pusher motor and just R/E controls:

Billwhit Titan2 Maiden Flight (3 min 3 sec)