Old May 15, 2011, 08:15 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,332 Posts
can you post pics of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
mine is such a stock titan with rc gear and motor and it glides great get about 45 min flights just get the plane up on motor and glide it down then motor it back up
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2011, 08:21 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
hey prime great work but one thing you should do when you upload your pics try doing this in the message area have them attached as thumbnails go to below the message input area you will see additional options then click on manage attachments and then you can click on all the pics you want and the pics will be below the text and we can click on the images to look at them when needed.

if you are using the quick input go to advanced for the normal input explained above
keep up the good work !! may have to get you to make me a cockpit for my bird with the way you do them
lol thanks ma, i'm just posting them from elsewhere / other threads on this site and unfortunately the upload / linkmanager only alows 1 link persession .
lol.

:: i had a pure stock config glider , i liked to fly it in the wind ... but last flight it was so windy it was blowing me arround .
well i pushed it ... any how stock shape flys great and can rip arround on gusty days .
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old May 15, 2011, 08:22 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,332 Posts
Also

what do you guys think of this idea

a 3 ch trainer using titan.

BUT

with elevon mixing on the elevator

plus

rudder?
Old May 15, 2011, 08:42 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
Also

what do you guys think of this idea

a 3 ch trainer using titan.

BUT

with elevon mixing on the elevator

plus

rudder?
There's already posts here (mine included) that cover tailerons (elevon mixing on two elevator halves) plus throttle for a 3 channel plane. With rudder that would be 4 channels obviously, so not sure what you meant. Tailerons with no rudder is pretty easy to fly, I think, but the roll rate is poor. Maybe that's OK for a trainer, though.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old May 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,332 Posts
okay sorry

what posts?

I should have said 4 ch with tailerons, rudder and throttle I guess

is the roll rate really slow with tailerons, or so so?

Anyone use tailerons and ailerons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
There's already posts here (mine included) that cover tailerons (elevon mixing on two elevator halves) plus throttle for a 3 channel plane. With rudder that would be 4 channels obviously, so not sure what you meant. Tailerons with no rudder is pretty easy to fly, I think, but the roll rate is poor. Maybe that's OK for a trainer, though.
Old May 15, 2011, 08:56 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
okay sorry

what posts?

I should have said 4 ch with tailerons, rudder and throttle I guess

is the roll rate really slow with tailerons, or so so?

Anyone use tailerons and ailerons?
Search this thread on the word tailerons and you will get all the posts. Some include video links, so you can see the roll rate... it's maybe 1 roll every 2-3 seconds. With ONLY ailerons and clipped wings, I get about 2-3 rolls per second... tailerons would not add any benefit other than some drag.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendrichie View Post
Do you have to use a mold or just pop the Soda bottle in the over and hope for the best?
sorry missed it dude ..

i carv the plug shape in balsa block , or the odd end of a 2x4 off cut / scrap.

though for small stuff i will laminate balsa sheet.
Old May 15, 2011, 09:27 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
AWE!!! Thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old May 16, 2011, 10:52 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Prime -- that canopy looks great! Might have to borrow that idea as well!

Made some progress on my "sport jet" version. I've done most of the skinning of the fuse- got a few holes left. The duct came out pretty good -- it is definitely the cleanest duct that I have ever made and I look forward to seeing how it performs. I've tested the fan at WOT, and it will not collapse. I decided to build anhedral into the horiz. stab. Each half will have its own servo. I will build a new set of wings for this one --- keeping the sweep but losing the dihedral. I also need to figure out what to do with the rudder...
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old May 16, 2011, 10:58 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
great stuff.

the duct intake looks "happy"
Old May 17, 2011, 07:44 AM
Da' Cajun
Lake Charles, Louisiana
Joined Jun 2009
2,934 Posts
Quote:
now does the 3ch one fly? fairly well?

Also what do you guys think of this idea a 3 ch trainer using titan.
BUT with elevon mixing on the elevator plus rudder?
My 3 channel Titan flys extremely well. And has a good roll rate. ...for a trainer. It loops Ok, but I tried to do a complete roll and it wouldn't do it. I probably could have forced it but didn't worry about it.
It glides forever. Almost doesn't want to land. My set up on the stock airframe is light, 1000mAh 2s batt, 18A ESC & 2208-14 motor.

I wouldn't do elevons. Only because it's to simple and flies so well on ruddo & elev.
Boogie_ is offline Find More Posts by Boogie_
Old May 17, 2011, 11:18 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
well build snice. I built one with a 64mm edf mounted out top. really easy build. flew great!

but I found that EDF uses a lot of power compared to a prop. but lots of fun.

my current build im doing a nacelle mounted (ala polaris inspired) 2200kv with a 6x4. Excited to see how it turns out.

Now to clip the wings or not?

Good fun friends and cheap too

id love to see someone take 2 and make a p38 bash

captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old May 17, 2011, 02:05 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
well build snice. I built one with a 64mm edf mounted out top. really easy build. flew great!

but I found that EDF uses a lot of power compared to a prop. but lots of fun.

my current build im doing a nacelle mounted (ala polaris inspired) 2200kv with a 6x4. Excited to see how it turns out.

Now to clip the wings or not?

Good fun friends and cheap too

id love to see someone take 2 and make a p38 bash

I hope you've seen my posts since I built two like this, the first with thrust line parallel to the wing chord and normal stab, and the second with the motor pod and horizontal stab angled down about 2 deg. like the Polaris. Both have pitch issues when throttling up, but the second version was easier to correct with some TX mixing. The first had serious down pitch which made hand launches very precarious and not as fun to fly.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Thanks for the notes. I made the nacelle exactly parrallel woth the bottem of the fuse.

It sounds like it was making it pitch down so maybe some slight up pitch would help?

Will post some pics soon glad you saw my post.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old May 17, 2011, 02:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
Thanks for the notes. I made the nacelle exactly parrallel woth the bottem of the fuse.

It sounds like it was making it pitch down so maybe some slight up pitch would help?

Will post some pics soon glad you saw my post.
The bottom of the fuse is highly curved, so not sure what you mean. Put a stick across the center of the LE and TE at wing root cavity to get the chord incidence angle, and reference to that. Down angle of the motor pod reduces the down pitch. Ideally the thrust line needs to go through the VERTICAL CG spot to negate any pitch effects on throttle up, but that is not possible with this plane unless it had a very tiny prop (I use am EMP5x5 with a 2200 kV outrunner on mine).

Search for my posts... there's a lot of pics and some video in many of them. If I were to build a third one, I'd just go pusher jet with the motor on a stick in the butt.