HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2010, 04:28 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
Wait so if my lipo drops below 3v it ll die? This could make sense.... Is there anyway of bringing it back to life? Its only been used once...
It depends on your charger and if you get lucky with the battery. I've revived a few lipos that were left on too long like that.

When I hooked them to my main charger, it comes up with a voltage error. So I changed the setting to Nimh and try charging closely monitored for just a minute. The voltage climbs pretty fast, but even with the Nihm setting I've gotten a voltage error after a few seconds. I repeated this a few times and the voltage rises each time. Once it starts getting lose to 3v I switched back to the lipo setting to see if it would accept it yet. I repeated this until the charger accepted the voltage and then the lipo charged and still works today. I've done this a couple of times and it's worked for me every time.

I now have a cheaper charger that doesn't error and will try to charge it anyway. I can't guaranty this will work every time, but it's worth a shot. Just keep a close eye and do it in a safe place just in case.
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2010, 04:38 PM
lille france
Joined Mar 2009
145 Posts
no comment
titan crash.wmv (0 min 39 sec)
chtipanda is offline Find More Posts by chtipanda
Old Jun 07, 2010, 04:44 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtipanda View Post
Oh man, that's a bummer! Don't give up, it wants to fly!

Maybe you can post some info and we can give some suggestions?
Old Jun 07, 2010, 05:06 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Well... those were ugly nose digs!

I snapped a couple images from the video.. the crashes were two different planes it seems.

The first plane had a high thrust line with a pod mounted motor on a strut. That alone will cause a downward pitching moment, requiring either elevator or horizontal stab correction. Then, when you launched, BOTH ailerons were in a very high upward angle... in effect, you had spoilers which dump lift and will also cause a plane to lose altitude. I could not see any indication of moveable elevators Are you trying to fly this plane with an elevon setup on the ailerons? That's the only thing that might explain what the first picture below seems to show. Elevons won't work with this airframe design.

The second picture shows a pusher motor arrangement, and at launch the ailerons are deflected for a right hand roll, exactly what the plane did. It nearly rolled inverted and recovered, but again I could not see any indication the plane had any moveable elevator control.

I may be seeing things wrong. Maybe you can clarify if you want to find out what is wrong with your set-up?
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:01 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Dont worry dude thats only $10 down. hahah thats the amazing thing about these. I would avoid pusher prop arrangement, until you can get the thrust line to be parallel with the plane. And get it perfectly spot on. Otherwise i would say a prop in the front, Because the pull is more forgiving than the push. Pusher prop has a tendency to throw the plane off axis causing a vector thrusting sort of effect without vector controls. Pulling a plane is more stable. I think your COG was wayyy off too.....
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:37 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,036 Posts
Quote:
That was the exact same flight path my V1 Funjet conversion had! It only flew inverted. I remedied it by adding canards slightly angled up -- but I think adjusting the thrustline would have also fixed the problem. See billwhit's pusher conversion -- his thrustline seems perfect!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 07, 2010, 08:22 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
See billwhit's pusher conversion -- his thrustline seems perfect!
Well, I may have just gotten lucky.

I think the key is that there is kind of an optical illusion going on that makes it hard to line up. As far as I can tell, when the stab is placed in the glide position it's at almost zero incidence. So if you place your thrust line straight with the stab, maybe just a touch of down, that should work.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:43 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Here is a shot to show how my motor is mounted, the thrust line is pretty straight.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 11:08 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
no comment
it can be pretty heartbreaking when u have a crash like that. dont let it stop u, get back up on that horse. you'll b so happy when it flies like a dream.

i've had great success with the setup attached in this image. i call it the ez titan glider. i have a number of videos of it on my youtube channel:
ez titan av (9 min 23 sec)
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:50 AM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit View Post
Here is a shot to show how my motor is mounted, the thrust line is pretty straight.
After i get the Twin EDF jet up and flying, i wanna make one of these. I have a motor prop coming from Hobby king that can around do 900g of thrust. It would probably tear the thing apart i believe. But itll be fun. Is it possible Bill that you could make a small paint drawing showing where what is placed and how it keeps the COG in check?
Old Jun 08, 2010, 12:11 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
After i get the Twin EDF jet up and flying, i wanna make one of these. I have a motor prop coming from Hobby king that can around do 900g of thrust. It would probably tear the thing apart i believe. But itll be fun. Is it possible Bill that you could make a small paint drawing showing where what is placed and how it keeps the COG in check?
Hopefully this will help. The plane was pretty easy to balance and if you look at my pictures there is quite a bit of room to move the battery forward with my setup.

Your EDF version looks very cool By the way!
Old Jun 08, 2010, 01:37 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
had to put that rudder in .
i just cut it into existing one a ( i may extend it with balsa if need )

had to radicaly re-arrange the "guts" .moved alieron servo down into the hole that was allready there. and just put slivator servo on top of it's old spot but on it's side. it all fits with room to spare . i have to work on the alieron linkage a tad , no binding by small levers / hook-ups for them are making servo work a tad to hard (IMO). It's all solid, glue &/or mini screws hold mounts in place.

( I still have yet to find a scale suited to get AUW from . LOL . next trip in town to Wally world ?? LOL )

I used nyrod inner rod as a guide for some bailing/tie wire as the rudder pushrod . was a good experiment , seems to work very well .

the ailerons work better now , got rid of all play/ flex form old setup.

and the GOG is just a tad behind where it was un-mod. but sliding RX forward fixes that in a pinch.

now rain and wind just need to vanish .. LOL

( been flying one of those small airhogs jetset things between building stages.LOL( the one with canards , but i cut em off and it flys too fast for my back yard now . LOL)
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:59 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
4 SNice : my AUW 13.2oz for mine ( had to get scale while in town today )
in just glider mode. ( still have to make RX lighter by drilling out it's case .
and that is a 4x N cell nicad radio pack .
and 3 HS-55

SNice what did you paint your ones with ?
My wife used neon pink water base acrylic hobby paint , 2 coats dabbing on made a solid color , but not very glossy .
I need to find a clear-coat / sealant . LOL , non fome eating , ie no acetone or any solvent eding in "one" .

my wifes chuck only 2nd coat of paint
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 08, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:58 PM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,709 Posts
A good clear-coat sealant that is safe for foam models is Minwax Polycrylic. Link: http://www.minwax.com/products/water...ve_finish.html (the brush-on version, not the spray) You can get it most anywhere (Wal-mart, Home Depot, etc.) And like it says there, it comes in three different levels of sheen. You will often see it referred to around RCG as "WBPU," short for water-based polyurethane. It goes along nicely with those acrylic craft paints if you want to add a gloss to it, because most of them are dull/matte finish.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jun 08, 2010, 08:07 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
I hear its advisable to paint the plane with a clearcoat, or something that will harden the outer shell of the "foam" plane.