Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
here's my night ez titan glider
<SNIP>
A few questions on your set up if you don't mind.
  • What diameter prop?
  • Any thrust offsets on the motor?
  • Do you get diving or climbing tendency when you throttle up?
Thanks.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2010, 03:32 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
  • What diameter prop?
    6x4x3blade atm, but a 6x4 or 7" would be good too. its a $20 rct 2200kv motor / esc combo. I hit 250watt with this motor and a 6x4 prop.
  • Any thrust offsets on the motor?
    I give it a very slight downward thrust offset.
  • Do you get diving or climbing tendency when you throttle up?
    slightly down I'd say but its not really noticable.

my elevator is pointed a good amount up in the prop wash which is somewhat of a waste of power.

on my next one i was thinking of setting the tail to the loop setting to test...
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:08 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit View Post
I got out and flew my Titan this weekend, and my friend got a better video than last time. I also found a light collet that brought my CoG just a bit further forward, and I think it flew a bit better. Anyway, here it is...more fun with the pusher jet!

http://vimeo.com/11977233
your getting pretty zippy controls there. what servos are you running and how are they configured?
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jun 05, 2010, 11:59 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
First post here .

I picked up one in Wallmart . (13$ up here ) ( i have 3 more "blanks" to work with . this foam is very easy to work with )

I was looking at it and figured i could flip it RC ..
then i searched teh web and found here , loads of other great works.

I have been away form RC long enough ( look at my radio LOL )
that i had no idea the power of a brushless motor . so that will be next . i have no clue ,about em except what i have read here . my LHS has abunch of pre matched kits i was looking at .

any how what i did ...

- was a tad nose heavy on maiden flight but nothing a peny won't fix LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 05, 2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:30 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
What a beautiful, and clean build! looks great!!! what is your AUW??? what motor are you thinking of putting on her? Someone had a slope soaring version that did really well...
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 05, 2010, 12:42 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
Sorry AUW , have no way to measure it rite now . LOL
I have no idea about motors.
I know i will basically get to trade batt' weight as that 4 N cell radio pack will just be a BEC from a ESC , but i last left RC gliding with a 2M scratch build Balsa sail plane , back when a electric on NiMh with a folding prop was the hottest thing .LOL

I have ripped apart a DVD drive and started the re wrapping , ( just for fun) . But have know idea as far as prop & power plants .

I will be drilling out the case of my radio RX as it is heavy and mostly plastic .

Just an Old 7CH RX
2 HS-55 ( thinking my have to put one on each aileron after watching some videos here )
I junked the old 4x AA cell radio pack for a 4 N cell i built last night and charged.

i tried very hard to keep CG & balance point i marked on wings in exact same place it was pre conversion, as it's out of bag glide was insanely good.

I'm just a touch nose heavy . as it need full up ell' trim for level flight .

in-fact it flew too good . over shot my back yard on first test chuk , i had to turn hard and force a stall to get it to drop before it went some place bad. LOL

I wish i knew a nice simple slope near hear to test at ..LOL , have to keep my eyes open .
of course if i was nuts , i could fly off the cliffs near the ocean down the road.

:: update :: post second chuck tests
feels like i will need a rudder.
i moved the radio a bit further back. I will have loads of room .

I went to LHS , guy who dose 3d flying indoors showed me a motor for like 50$ , and 1000mah 3s pack ~50$ , and a ESC . but i'm starting from scratch so slap on ~100 for charger n such . ( not in hobby budget rite now ..LOL )
LOL
i have an old brushed motor from my 2m sail plane .. but i think it weighs more than my whole plane .LOL . when i ject tested it the ESC for it let out the magic blue smoke . & i'm not buying an other standard DC ESC any time soon .

I would so love to do a ducted fan in the next one LOL . press my self to keep the stock profile some how (just for fun), so prolly pusher on tail.

now i have to find some pink paint to paint my wifes one ( her's is still just free flight chuck mode [ for now .. heheheh ] )
Last edited by Prime_8; Jun 05, 2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:00 AM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Thought i share my experience with this glider as well. i am doing a twin EDF version with 5 servos and a FPV system. AUW should be around 750grms, and the two edfs i am using have 400grams of thrust ...each. Lets see how it turns out.

Heres a few pictures of the build. Hopefully i can finish it in a few days depending on the order of parts coming from hobby king. Dont know how long their shipping time is to USA. oh well till then i have a lot of prep work to do.

If it looks ugly on the inside, its because i heat up a spoon and then melt the foam, this makes it stronger since layers of foam just melt on top. It does become a little bit more brittle, but the strength is good for high speeds.
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Last edited by Vyas; Jun 07, 2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:34 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
more info on those EDF , i love how they look .
very cool
Old Jun 07, 2010, 06:42 AM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
i know right! The plane just looks amazing with those EDFs....
The outer casing is what i got with a ARF plane i bought....HPI 456MB Twin Delta wing. It never flew, the plane was good, but being my first plane i crashed it in less than 2 min flytime and never really learnt how to fly on it....Moving on, i am better now.

They had 150g of thrust stock each. For now i am experimenting with a few motors i have access too. On my home made rig to test EDF's these things put out 393g each so i think i am gonna go with this motor, Upgrading the ESC to 18A each, and i should have more numbers once i figure out why my lipo died last night. I left it plugged in the plane all night and come back the morning, it doesn't charge. . . Once i get that up - i ll have more details.

I think i might as well make an A-10 out of this....
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:33 AM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
your getting pretty zippy controls there. what servos are you running and how are they configured?
Thanks, I'm just using two HXT900s one to each side of the tail.

I flew her quite a bit this weekend, what a great flyer. Very Stable going both fast and slow!
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 07, 2010, 10:39 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwhit View Post
Thanks, I'm just using two HXT900s one to each side of the tail.

I flew her quite a bit this weekend, what a great flyer. Very Stable going both fast and slow!
I'm still amazed at how much control you have with just tailerons!! It simplifies and lightens the build so much! It seriously looks like the tight loops are thrust vectored!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jun 07, 2010, 02:31 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
your lipo dies because it went below 3v on all cells , or enough of them ? , i bet your ESC even off has a small draw .

I wish i had a newer radio so i could setup mixing at radio .I would love to build jut tail control like billwhit. I'm lucky my ol JR Max 6 has dual rates .LOL

well i have 3 untouched gliders left and i will prolly get a few more even if they are a bit bumped around as i find even bent airframe is fixable with a fresh pot of boiling watter . LOL

i wish my LHS had cheaper bits , his cheepest motor is a out runner that is like gold anodized Alu , ~50$ . i have seen motor and ESC kits for 30~. He's a 3D flier and said it's not worth it if it can't hover .LOL but i think hovering is a bit out of my price range . LOL

:: the new rudder servo has solved my slight nose heavy issue. i will get a scale tonight so i can get you guys the AUW on my build .
Old Jun 07, 2010, 02:44 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
your lipo dies because it went below 3v on all cells , or enough of them ? , i bet your ESC even off has a small draw .

I wish i had a newer radio so i could setup mixing at radio .I would love to build jut tail control like billwhit. I'm lucky my ol JR Max 6 has dual rates .LOL

well i have 3 untouched gliders left and i will prolly get a few more even if they are a bit bumped around as i find even bent airframe is fixable with a fresh pot of boiling watter . LOL

i wish my LHS had cheaper bits , his cheepest motor is a out runner that is like gold anodized Alu , ~50$ . i have seen motor and ESC kits for 30~. He's a 3D flier and said it's not worth it if it can't hover .LOL but i think hovering is a bit out of my price range . LOL

:: the new rudder servo has solved my slight nose heavy issue. i will get a scale tonight so i can get you guys the AUW on my build .
I have a couple of friends that are going to build them and they don't have mixing on their radios. I had each of them get one of these, they seem like a pretty inexpensive solution.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6321
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:52 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:

...I wish i had a newer radio so i could setup mixing at radio .I would love to build jut tail control like billwhit. I'm lucky my ol JR Max 6 has dual rates .LOL

bro what you need is a onboard vtail mixer. I have one of those. It has inputs from Aileron and elevators and it mixes the servos input for you. So even if you dont have a computer radio, its still possible. I will take a pic of mine and if you want i can sell it to you as well. I have no use for it.
Old Jun 07, 2010, 03:54 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Wait so if my lipo drops below 3v it ll die? This could make sense.... Is there anyway of bringing it back to life? Its only been used once...