HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:57 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
I did not clip my wings. I did not add anything to my rudder... I just cut it at what seemed like a normal rudder size :-)
I took no dihedral out.
I actually did nothing but cut the elevator and rudder out (maybe 1 3/4 inches wide) but that is a guess. I am confident enough to fly along at half throttle and roll her over to inverted and fly 10 ft off of the deck like that. When I tell her to turn, she flips right around if I want.
Pretty convincing. I just converted mine to RE controls, so I will try her in the morning if the weather is good. I gave her big throws and big expo, so I am hoping it isnt too much. I will dial her in once I am sure I have enough control to keep her over the park and out of the trees.

I checked mine, and the AUW is 19.2 oz. Going RE did nto seem to add any weight since I just reconfigured the existing servo and added a fiberglass rod to link the elevator.

Tom, what is yours?

Edit, found it, 15.5 oz. Good guessing, Tom 3.7 oz heavier.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Derek_S; Jul 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2010, 04:46 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I don't feel that this thing cares if you add weight to it or not.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jul 20, 2010, 07:39 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,715 Posts
The plot thickens..

She flies great at slow speeds now but not as well at higher speed. Quid pro quo?

Anyways, she is ready now some more casual flying! My next one might have big tailerons for some higher speed action...
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Titan Conversion Sea Plane

Somebody posted a question a while back who will try to make one of these a Sea Plane? Well even when that question was asked I was working on this. After a lot of testing and failure with the bottom. It turned out pretty good.

Jeff
Titan Sea Plane.mp4 (1 min 35 sec)
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airliner Bicycle Hand Launch
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:51 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
It looks like it flies great... and the motor position seems to eliminate any problems with water hitting the prop. Would love to see some close-up shots of the plane.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Thanks, I just had the first successful flight this AM so I ran out of time to provide close ups which I will. It's now time to get used to it!!

AA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:02 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
Thanks, I just had the first successful flight this AM so I ran out of time to provide close ups which I will. It's now time to get used to it!!

AA
Awesome job I would love to see some pics too
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:10 AM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,077 Posts
AA - I saw u guys at 37 flying this morning!!

I think I have a pic of the plane if you want me to post it.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:33 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
Somebody posted a question a while back who will try to make one of these a Sea Plane? Well even when that question was asked I was working on this. After a lot of testing and failure with the bottom. It turned out pretty good.
After watching the video, it seems like you don't even need the wingtip floats -- they never touched the water except for when you were doing it on purpose. It looks like the fuselage has sponsons as well... the side-extensions on the fuselage above the step. That ought to be sufficient considering the amount of dihedral the wings have.

Now I know how I'll do mine
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:52 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
LiPo charged & motor mounted and ESC programmed . I have to check the current draw at WOT vs n such but going well ..

except now it is raining . LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:07 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
After watching the video, it seems like you don't even need the wingtip floats -- they never touched the water except for when you were doing it on purpose. It looks like the fuselage has sponsons as well... the side-extensions on the fuselage above the step. That ought to be sufficient considering the amount of dihedral the wings have.

Now I know how I'll do mine
I'm not sure about not having the wing tip floats, with out them, on a quick turn and or taxi, the plane will dip one way or the other and the elevator will catch a bit on the very end. I think the floats make it handle better in sliding turns. You could try it without, and I might. Still a bit more testing is needed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:09 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
cool AA . looks great to me .

only thing i wonder is could the wing tip floats be thinner and still work ?

- i was to excited about finaly getting my motor N stuff i for got to say coolness for a sea plane . LOL

:: mostly installed , still have to test motor draw in amps at wot . as my power setup(lipo&esc) provides 30 a , and motor is 24 a peak , for 60 sec .

so far the few test blasts never went over 12a , but blew everything off my desk and table across the room . I think it is about as good as my last .25 slimer. LOL

I'll put the TP props on once i get propsaver on . that gray prop locks to the nut , so i tested it first .

i can't belive how small the esc is . LOL my old boat ESC from a few years back ins a big Alu chunk. LOL

::
ps video of my bronco test flights & my micro Jetset that i use between charges .
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=13
Last edited by Prime_8; Jul 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:46 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
cool AA . looks great to me .

only thing i wonder is could the wing tip floats be thinner and still work ?

-
I want to reconfigure the wing tip floats. When I first started I was not sure what the problem was because it would not release from the water. The problem was not the wing tip floats, but the bottom has to have considerable foam added to create the right step, buoyancy and clearance for the wings. My current wing tip floats are way to funky. But I'll tell you, the first moment it finally lifted off was quite a thrill!

AA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 21, 2010, 01:42 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
to aid in release , you can put a tunnel down center of main hull .
show me pic of hull area .

I used to make racing hydros , after i gave up flying slimers .

also micro steps can help if they reach high enough to alow air to get down in them. ( see realy fast boat greenpeace had that sunk ) .

should not need much surface area on tips. i can see bouancy / stabillity help , but small tip floats , or mid wing floats shoudl be all that is needed .

. i do really like how it is now , looks like a jet in the air.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:53 AM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Prime 8,

Thanks for the tips. This little project is like so many proto-types, once you get it figured out, you would like to start over again and not have so much trial and error on the first one. I'm sure I could lighten this quite a bit by changing the bottom a bit which is like a big ski of sorts. I did hollow out the inner core to help save some weight and your tunnel idea is a helpful idea to consider. One issue I had to deal with was that originally the low wings would catch water before I could get up on the step. Only after I layered the bottom with thick foam to raise everything up did I have success. It does handle pretty nice on the water and like I said, I'm going to go with much smaller streamlined wing floats.

Thanks again,
Jeff
RCG Plus Member