HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:17 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
cool Tom , that make sme think of old school jets .
now if you could do that bit bellow & infront , sort of f16 , is canopy . that could look real cool.

:: what i have doen so far on bronco / time filler build .
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...g?d=1279413692
i bet i have the bronco up and crashing before the titan. LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Last edited by Prime_8; Jul 17, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
cool Tom , that make sme think of old school jets .
now if you could do that bit bellow & infront , sort of f16 , is canopy . that could look real cool.

:: what i have doen so far on bronco / time filler build .
http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...g?d=1279413692
i bet i have the bronco up and crashing before the titan. LOL
If I had been thinking ahead a little bit, I could have hogged out a niche for my battery a little lower in the fuse, then I could have streamlined the canopy area and entire top of the fuse a little bit for a more sleek jet-like look. But, I'm not overly scale-conscious in mybuilds... I just want them first to perform well, then look nice in the air, then anything else is just gravy. A really scal-looking plane that flies like a brick is not my thing.

Good luck with the Bronco maiden!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:55 PM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I fitted a soda bottle canopy to my Titan, then decided that long blunt nose just didn't look right... it needed a nose job! So I started carving and sanding and ended up with this... I think it will look more jet-like in the air now:
I would like to build that exact propulsion setup. I haven't decided whether my HZ SuperCub will be the trainer for the young'un, or this converted glider. He REALLY enjoys the chuck-version of this glider, so I think the controlled version would be neat for him.

I'm new at working in foam, and haven't built stick in years and years. Even then, I was more of an ARF guy than a kit guy. I had considered just adding a power pod on popsicle sticks, but I like your version better! Do you have any flex or twist issues due to thrust / power going through the tail? Did you reinforce the tail? I'm curious what I'd need to do in order to ensure the correct thrust line. for the motor being mounted up there.

Lastly, is that an elevon only build?
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1 View Post
I would like to build that exact propulsion setup.
Do you have any flex or twist issues due to thrust / power going through the tail? Did you reinforce the tail? I'm curious what I'd need to do in order to ensure the correct thrust line. for the motor being mounted up there.

Lastly, is that an elevon only build?
First, if you haven't seen it, this post has more info on the build, including flying video. Yes, it's elevon-only for control... or sometimes referred to as "tailerons" since the elevators act as both elevator and ailerons rather than the ailerons (only two servos for control).

The roll rate is not very fast, even with exagerated elevator surfaces, extreme throws, trimmed wings, and dihedral all but eliminated, but the plane is very easily controlled. The pod for the motor is made of 6mm meat tray foam, glued onto the stock vertical stab with epoxy. There is no other reinforcement of the vertical stab... it's quite thick and strong. I built in about 2 deg. of down thrust... no side thrust, and it has no adverse yaw. But the plane will dive a bit when the throttle is advanced due to the high thrust line. I have programmed in elevator-to-throttle mixes so some elevator is proportionally added as the throttle is advanced to cancel out some of the downward pitch. It's not perfect since it will very slightly angle down at full throttle, then start to slowly climb, but it make for more relaxed flying.

I experimented with putting a washer under the top two motor mount lugs which added about 3.5 deg. additional down thrust to get the thrustline closer to the CG. It didn't seem to help the downward pitch on throttle up, though. I have moved the two washers to the bottom lugs to give 3.5 deg. of up thrust, but have not yet flown in that mode. This would normally produce MORE downward pitch, but the interaction of the tail with the prop wash may counteract that according to another person who has a pod mounted motor near the CG and uses up thrust successfully. We'll see if that holds true with my aft mounted motor.

Good luck with your build, and post your results!
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:37 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
thanks tom , i just got all teh guts in and she is sitting on CG i thinkis correct .
she is charging .

I did scale gear , so it can taxi , but i doubt i will be able to land . or even tale off with it .

the muscle wire actuator , is strong but slow , and only 2 mm throw , so bell crank make 2 mm = 4mm . butthat slow is .5 seconds and only holds for .5 sec . may be better as bomb release that elivator . LOL

i will put some new pics up in bronco thread .
::
man i hope my stuff comes for my titan this week.
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:13 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,814 Posts
I have been coming back and forth between this thread and hate to just pop in and ask, but for control of the stock airframe with dihedral and all, is tailerons or RET the way to go? Is there really consensus? I just knw I do not want the weight of ailerons. I am looking for somewhat stable, slow performance.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
I have been coming back and forth between this thread and hate to just pop in and ask, but for control of the stock airframe with dihedral and all, is tailerons or RET the way to go? Is there really consensus? I just knw I do not want the weight of ailerons. I am looking for somewhat stable, slow performance.
Either will do what you want with just two servos. I think tailerons are a bit simpler to install with servos/wires mounted on the fuselage.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:45 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,814 Posts
Thanks. I set it up as tailerons today but put the servos on top of the fuse so I could easily change to RET.

Yours looks fantastic by the way. If this thkng was made out of a slightly more durable foam it would be the cat's meow!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I set it up as tailerons today but put the servos on top of the fuse so I could easily change to RET.

Yours looks fantastic by the way. If this thkng was made out of a slightly more durable foam it would be the cat's meow!
Thanks. More durable foam would probably increase the cost, and maybe weight, too?
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:53 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,814 Posts
I can wish, cant I?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:52 PM
Flying high
Seattle, Wa
Joined Dec 2002
2,263 Posts
Woohoo, this thread is going now!

motoguy1, wow 10! I thought I was overboard at 6! Unfortunately I never found the clearance deal...but there's a lot of fun to be had with these. I have the airliner with the pods too, it's great for it's scale looks but doesn't fly quite as good. I have some photos of it on my rcgroups blog, I made it into the Oceanic flight 815 from Lost.

herk1, very cool! I have yet to do working retracts. I'm going to put tricycle gear on my current build, but they'll be static.

Tom, looks sweet! Nice job with the colored packing tape too!

I stopped by the local Dollar Tree yesterday to see what I could find for a canopy. I was getting a little discouraged when I found some bottles of hand soap that looked perfect. My wife thought I was being wasteful pouring out the soap, but it smelled pretty bad anyway.

I think I found my pilot too, so now I have an idea of the paint scheme I'll use!
billwhit is offline Find More Posts by billwhit
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:53 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,814 Posts
Very sexy! You guys really are rolling! I like the shaped look. I am trying to build mine as an AP platform just for S's and G's.

Are any of you using some type of glassing or reinforcement?

Here is mine. Very modest compared to some...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:46 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
Quote:
Honestly I cannot believe how how much power my rudder has... it only moves about a quarter of an inch but I can easily roll with it. I like my elevator/rudder set up. I haven't tried anything else though...
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:48 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,750 Posts
Hey, have any of you guys thought about making a tiny one of these? My son came home from Grandmas with 4 little 12 inch chuck gliders that he bought at the dollar store. I kind of want to try it sometime.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:01 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Honestly I cannot believe how how much power my rudder has... it only moves about a quarter of an inch but I can easily roll with it. I like my elevator/rudder set up. I haven't tried anything else though...
Well, that warrants a few questions.

How would you describe the aerobatic ability, out of curiosity?
Any mods to the airframe like clipped wings or less dihedral?
How big did you make the rudder?
RCG Plus Member