SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:41 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmanAirhead View Post
Yeah CG now you have me to kick around. I know my step is wrong and I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to work on the bottom a bit more and see where that gets me. I have a water rudder extension that works great. Now if I can just get the think to take off!
just my way to welcome you to a new thread

pics would help and would probably get you more responses / feedback
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2010, 12:09 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
Extreme Tailerons

I updated my original post with a new video clip showing the speed and roll rate improvements achieved by clipping 5-3/8 in. off each wing tip, and sanding off that thick airfoil section to match the contour of the inner wing airfoil. The plane still has a nice, slow, flat glide even with those crazy tip sections gone. A final tweak I'll likely do is eliminate most of the dihedral to smooth out the roll a bit.

Details here.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 09, 2010, 03:59 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
nice .

looks rock solid in air . i love that tail pod .

:: i may have removed the dihedral after the booms on my latest wing by accident .
when i was hot gluing them ( welding them into shape ) and good old gravity LOL.
i set it down to cool & did not see that the clamps for wing had moved lower . so mid to tip is pretty flat now.

i have to use that GC calculator and get a theoretical CG figured out for it .
I also tested smaller symetrical canards , very touchy ... i don't think they will be worth it on this build .
waitting for custome to clear my motor & stuff is killing me now .

so bad i made a f22 out of foam plate mini , via plans on site Vyas got his from ( one more for my mini / under 6 inch span collection . if that motor n such don;t show soon i will have every jet done in mini )
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Last edited by Prime_8; Jul 09, 2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Hey all,
I found 2 titans on clearance at Target tonight for $6. Took them both home. What have you guys found is the best place to mount the motor? I have a pusher set up right now that I might stick in... I have seen pics of a few different ideas. Any views on what is best, on top of plane, on rudder, in back in line with fuse... ???
Thanks in advance. I am putting servos in tonight.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:12 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty_horn View Post
Hey all,
I found 2 titans on clearance at Target tonight for $6. Took them both home. What have you guys found is the best place to mount the motor? I have a pusher set up right now that I might stick in... I have seen pics of a few different ideas. Any views on what is best, on top of plane, on rudder, in back in line with fuse... ???
Thanks in advance. I am putting servos in tonight.
None are better without knowing what you are trying to do with the plane. Rear mounted motors allow for a small video camera to be mounted on front with no prop to obscure the image. They also look a bit more "jet-like" with a high kV motor and small prop. The tail mounted motor keeps the thrust line closely in line with the CG, so there is no tendency for the plane to pitch down on throttle up, but it is a little more prone to ground strike damage. The rudder mounted motor I used eliminates the ground strike issue and leaves the nose free for a video camera, but needs careful downthrust adjustment or elevator-to-throttle mix (my preference) to conteract the pitch-down tendency on throttle up.

So they are all good for something and bad for something... take your pick!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,471 Posts
Tom Frank,

Nice job on the front rudder mount.

Its got me wondering which one of you guys will do the first Aqua Titan.

I know it won't be me, I'm AFA at the moment (all funds allocated), but thats ok, I've still got my Titan-Funjet-PZCub bash, and it has a couple of leds now, my fun for the summer.....(winter?)...

...now I'm imagining an R/E/T Funjet Polaris hybrid, with skis/floats under the main wings (be cool if it could ride take off and land on a well protected nose) and a single vert with motor mount, no ground or snow clearance issues.....Might make a good replacement for my currently benched Stormlauncher!
airfoil'd is offline Find More Posts by airfoil'd
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:53 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Thanks so much Tom,
You know I simply want the plane to fly :-) I am probably going to take the Grayson Hobbies V2 motor out of my F22 and use that with the v-tail set up... I am going to use an old (non-spektrum) tx and rx so I don't want to mess with any mixing. I believe that I made a mistake already though... after carefully cutting and taping my elevator (elevons) I realized that I cut them parallel to the edge of the elevator rather than perpendicular to the fuselage. Now my servos will probably have a hard time because of the strange angle! I don't like ugly mistakes and I don't like making repairs before I even fly something so I might just try to make it work :-) What motor are you using on your rudder mounted Titan?
Thanks for the reply!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:55 AM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
I have a couple storm launchers as well. I have been trying to figure out what to do with them for years. Do you think this one would be a little too heavy for the SL guts?
I will answer that myself... yes I think it would be way too heavy :-) Well, maybe not because of the huge amount of lift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoil'd View Post
Might make a good replacement for my currently benched Stormlauncher!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 01:08 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
Quote:
Thanks so much Tom,
You know I simply want the plane to fly :-) I am probably going to take the Grayson Hobbies V2 motor out of my F22 and use that with the v-tail set up... I am going to use an old (non-spektrum) tx and rx so I don't want to mess with any mixing. I believe that I made a mistake already though... after carefully cutting and taping my elevator (elevons) I realized that I cut them parallel to the edge of the elevator rather than perpendicular to the fuselage. Now my servos will probably have a hard time because of the strange angle! I don't like ugly mistakes and I don't like making repairs before I even fly something so I might just try to make it work :-) What motor are you using on your rudder mounted Titan?
Thanks for the reply!
I'm using the Grayson Microjet V3 on my Titan (mentioned in the video I just posted recently). the video I just posted Awesome motor for this plane if the weight is kept low (mine is 15.5 oz.) and the motor develops just over 18 oz. of thrust with an EMP 5x5 prop.

I assume your using two servos for the elevators. With the angled hinge line, I'd mount the elevator control horns facing perpendicular to the hinge line like you normally would, and not facing parallel with the pushrods. Then bend the pushrod end to be perpendiculator to the control horn for smooth motion. If you mount the control horns facing parallel with the pushrods, they will rotate relative to the pushrod axis as the control surface moves up and down and try to bind on the pushrod. Kind of hard to explain or visualize until you look at the set up.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 11, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 07:06 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,700 Posts
Quote:
I believe that I made a mistake already though... after carefully cutting and taping my elevator (elevons) I realized that I cut them parallel to the edge of the elevator rather than perpendicular to the fuselage. Now my servos will probably have a hard time because of the strange angle! I don't like ugly mistakes and I don't like making repairs before I even fly something so I might just try to make it work :-)
I cut the elevators out on my Titan that way, and it worked out just fine, with a servo embedded in the stab in front of each elevator, so that the control rod is perpendicular to the hinge line...photo here. Like I said there, there's just enough thickness in the stab for the small HXT-500 servos. (there's another photo in post #11 of this thread, after I routed/embedded the wires)
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jul 11, 2010, 12:50 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
storm launcher power would be cool . Titan has a bunch o lift , it woudl make it fly on a calm day but depends on the power of those SL motors . that coudl be a cool mod /blend
SL + T . LOL

:: i found a big sipply of blue core DOW brand foam here in town and bread board in soft rite up to a density close to Titan . so repairs and mods will be easier as i find blue foam and heavy white easier than pink foam for shaping . ( pink |Owens Corning| is sort of rubbery )
- if your in Canada , check you local RONA wearhouse store. un fortunately i'm too north for FFF in actual thin folds.

::
i love toms latest build nice an simple , flys wicked. makes me wis i had a key chain cam . LOL
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:04 PM
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
Wow, guys!
This plane is awesome! I am confused though, which direction do I need to face the motor for the right amount of thrust. I have it mounted on a piece of balsa on top of the fuse facing backwards. I did point it down a little bit and feel that I have that part right but I know that when a prop is on the front of the plane it needs a little right thrust. So does that mean that I need to point it to the left if it is pushing the plane? The plane flies perfectly but when I cut the throttle, it banks pretty hard to the left so when gliding, I need to push the trim all the way to the right for a smooth glide...

by the way, I am completely amazed at how much authority my tiny little rudder has. I can fly this thing all over the place and it will go vertical unlimited too :-)
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
I took most all of the dihedral out of my wings last night using the method Billwhit originated, i.e. shaving a taper on the wing tab insert upper surface, and scabbing on some thin foam on the lower part of that same insert foam tab. My bevel trimmed off 3mm at the innermost edge of that wing tab, and I glued on 3mm x 1 in. wide Depron foam strip on the bottom, and sanded it thin on the inner edge so it was parallel with the new tab upper surface. I first trimmed foam off with a long-bladed hobby knife, and finished with #100 grit sand paper until the wing fit nice and snug. To make the wing fit nicely at the root I sanded off the fuse wing fillet on the bottom of the wing slot until the the wing was snug against the fillet top and bottom. It worked perfectly! Both wings came out with just a slight bit of dihedral, and equally sloped relative to the horizontal stab.

We flew today in a stiff wind, probably gusting to about 15 mph since the plane's glide had almost zero ground speed at times. It was still quite stable with just the taileron control, but the roll rate actually seemed slower than before, which goes against conventional logic. I think the wind was partly to blame, so won't know until I can fly again in calmer weather. But I like the looks better with less dihedral, so I'm still happy with the way it zooms around with easy control, even if the roll rate is nothing to write home about.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 09:11 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,687 Posts
Quote:
Wow, guys!
This plane is awesome! I am confused though, which direction do I need to face the motor for the right amount of thrust.
I didn't put any side thrust on my motor, and don't really feel it needs any on my build... flies straight and glides straight.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:43 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
ty , i think you still need a touch of right , as the torque from the spinning prop is still in same dir , so should the motor offset . but in pusher it can be a bit more forgiving, but not much .
:: waitting for parts - still , stupid customs ::