HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:21 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
again nice man .
LOl , fan fold foam . hmm, wonder if my home depot has it .
is it actualy folded, and look & feel like meat tray foam ? . if so i know the stuff.
used to insulated crawl spaces n such , but it's allready shaped and "folded" so i passed it up . LOL

hmm . i do love working with foam over balsa alone . i have enough ply wood n balsa now for many projects , and it was all scraps from old built up projects . LOL

:::
never mind FFF, lol fell out of my chair. laughing at my self .
( ps i was thinking it was that pink depron like stuf fthey form into sheets for crawl spaces )

oh my .. i use it in .5 inch , pink for my taill booms. LOL
i have never found it thinner than .5 inch . not yet any how . .25 would be d'a bomb for me . LOL
i wish depron was in HH as a underlay sheet . LOL

HMM after reading thepink foam 200, i got should have been 300 . (was on shelf rite next to it )
the 300 is a higher density ( heavier ) , thought the 200 , is strong / very strong for bits under 8 inches , like stabs and ruders , it's lower density , is what makes it flex as it does.
the 300 version has way less flex . and if you can find the under foundation & roa& runway versions , with density # in 1000-5000's well they are almost hard like good grade balsa .
i bet laminated , they would make good foam cores for real ulatralite aricraft .
but some FFF , would be nice in the 300 - 400 density range .
I dont know density and stuff even though it should be written there. But yes it comes folded in carryable sizes. I bought one and made a extra 300s from dave guy at rcpowers. And i hate that design. So i trashed it and then built this raptor for leaning purposes. Now that i know how to fly a raptor,i ll cut out a 140% raptor for my fpv and autopilot gear. I plan to be able to send it out to a few locations take pictures and return home and land while i enjoy breakfast or sleep. I am working on a few modules which i made which work on gps, ground level and a lot of java programming. Of course which means that a phone such as any old nokia running a Symbian s60 will have to be onboard which will take care of some of the programming and relay a signal back to the base station of it location. I will most likely use 2 x 2409 12t and 2 x 2200 batteries.

I ll eventually end up making a separate thread of this build since it will be techno heavy.

But i thought the fan fold was a better investment than the chuck gliders cause you can make so much from it not just the standard airfoil and stuff that comes with the titan.
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2010, 12:52 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
LOL
open space is not so big , and with some scrap lenghts of spruce spar used to strenghthen it.

i'm waitting on mail , i need the servos alone , to finalize control linkage for the rudders & ellivator . and the motor for the motor pod .
- problem is now i'm killing time with side tracked things , like funky landing gear i test glued in place (love hot glue ) . i figure a rolling take-off would be best . but i want foam wheels .
and my package to arrive ( was shipped on 3rd , so now it's in customs i bet . )

yeah i got the deal , motor and ESC combo. ( out of stock now LOL ) . it's the same motor Vyas got , and flys his new foamy with , but i have 7 and 8 inch props , nothing smaller . but should be ok .

? prop save for a pusher , possible ?
- put it on backward , only saves from ground strike . I'm only concerned with it a large prop that will come near ground .
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Last edited by Prime_8; Jul 06, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:48 PM
Joined May 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
LOL
open space is not so big , and with some scrap lenghts of spruce spar used to strenghthen it.

i'm waitting on mail , i need the servos alone , to finalize control linkage for the rudders & ellivator . and the motor for the motor pod .
- problem is now i'm killing time with side tracked things , like funky landing gear i test glued in place (love hot glue ) . i figure a rolling take-off would be best . but i want foam wheels .
and my package to arrive ( was shipped on 3rd , so now it's in customs i bet . )

yeah i got the deal , motor and ESC combo. ( out of stock now LOL ) . it's the same motor Vyas got , and flys his new foamy with , but i have 7 and 8 inch props , nothing smaller . but should be ok .

? prop save for a pusher , possible ?
- put it on backward , only saves from ground strike . I'm only concerned with it a large prop that will come near ground .
Yeah the 7 inch prop and the 8 inch prop should be more than enough to push your jet around. Prop saver work just mount the prop saver to the very end of the shaft and then the prop. I do the same on the raptor.
Vyas is offline Find More Posts by Vyas
Old Jul 06, 2010, 06:58 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyas View Post
I dont know density and stuff even though it should be written there. But yes it comes folded in carryable sizes. I bought one and made a extra 300s from dave guy at rcpowers. And i hate that design. So i trashed it and then built this raptor for leaning purposes. Now that i know how to fly a raptor,i ll cut out a 140% raptor for my fpv and autopilot gear. I plan to be able to send it out to a few locations take pictures and return home and land while i enjoy breakfast or sleep. I am working on a few modules which i made which work on gps, ground level and a lot of java programming. Of course which means that a phone such as any old nokia running a Symbian s60 will have to be onboard which will take care of some of the programming and relay a signal back to the base station of it location. I will most likely use 2 x 2409 12t and 2 x 2200 batteries.

I ll eventually end up making a separate thread of this build since it will be techno heavy.

But i thought the fan fold was a better investment than the chuck gliders cause you can make so much from it not just the standard airfoil and stuff that comes with the titan.

somthing stinks like

captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jul 06, 2010, 07:37 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,377 Posts
Prime I have the grayson v3 for my scratchbuilt su 37 and it goes BOY does it go and i have a AUW of 450 gm and that motor just makes it move!!! on this plane that motor is OVER FREEAAKING KILL the wings would just pop out and float down any 24 g motor would do it and teh combos from hobby king are great
such as this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...047_Prop_Combo
more than enough power

Quote:
wow great stuff guys .

- so a grayson V3 is enough to move this foam beastie ?
hmm. like i said i have been out of RC flight for some time . my only other glider motor is 1.5 times thw size of that one and it was buit for glider.
LOL
I just wish my LHS would carry some staples , like props and such . LOL realy dissapointed that way .

I also hate that i have to replace my old smart chargers . LOL they wher expensive .

now i have some bills in the way , but if i can get power plan and charge system for ~$100 , i will be happy . LOL

i did not think a Grayson v3 had the power to move these with authority . Hmm (just going by suggested AUW on thier site. .. wortha 2nd look for me then .

the brushed motor and pack and mSC weighs as much as the whole slope one i made ( vs AUW ) . to heck with that . I will order something at month end . I will just used brushed for my old boats .LOL .

the Mini 'T' should give a good feel for how full one would look . & chance to fix basic airframe errors
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:49 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
Prime I have the grayson v3 for my scratchbuilt su 37 and it goes BOY does it go and i have a AUW of 450 gm and that motor just makes it move!!! on this plane that motor is OVER FREEAAKING KILL the wings would just pop out and float down any 24 g motor would do it and teh combos from hobby king are great
such as this one
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...047_Prop_Combo
more than enough power
I don't agree... I have that same motor on my Titan, and it's "just right" with the Titan at a nominal 16 oz. (450 gm.) flying weight. Just enough excess thrust for vertical climbs with an EMP 5x5 prop and 1200-1300 mAh 3S lipo. My wings are just forced into the stock fuse, with a tip to tip run of 2 in. packing tape on the wing bottoms from one wing tip, under the fuse, to the other wing tip. The tape adds some stiffness in sharp pull-ups and alos holds the wings in place.

Check out my maiden flight video linked at the bottom of post 159.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 07, 2010, 03:58 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
i was thinking of the G V3 . but i decide to get same motor you see Vyas flying his f22 with, a 2409 12t.

so i know it's size ( dimensions ), i finished roughing in the mount / pod . it has aft air vents & a vent / wire path for motor wires. jus messing round.
( pod is/was part of chopped tail section )

i will have a watt meter & 3 props to test , 2 8x4 versions , and a 7x6e

but i wish / hope my LHS has some cheap foam landing gear. i think i want to avoid hand launch.. but that new motor pod may make hand launch easier ? .
- i do want gear as an option.

- now just need package to arrive .
:: oh and i scrapped hiding the inkage and wil hot glue servos into wing near boom .
Old Jul 07, 2010, 12:30 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Hey Guys, I'm new to this thread. I'm working with a Titan with an 1100 KV motor mounted on a pylon, and it flies pretty decent. I'm toying with the idea of trimming the wings at the transition point as mention in the the earliest posts. What's the current verdict on trimming the wings back?

Also, I've experimented making this a SeaPlane, but I'm having problems getting the step right but I've not given up yet.

Any feedback?
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
Old Jul 07, 2010, 01:32 PM
master of the universe
USA, CA, Novato
Joined Jul 2008
3,076 Posts
Ohh great, AA is in this thread now too?! Aww man...

Trimming the wings back will give you higher top speeds and a higher roll rate. Will also give less stability and ability to glide.

for your seaplane the end of the step should be directly on / forward of the CG.
captaingeek is offline Find More Posts by captaingeek
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:26 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
sea plane woudl be cool .

- i thinnk of a high wing and let body hang down, fill inold wing sockets , put 2 big 3 blade props& motors on wings . LOL
( i just love cat' like seaplanes )
Old Jul 07, 2010, 08:02 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
i was thinking of the G V3 . but i decide to get same motor you see Vyas flying his f22 with, a 2409 12t.

so i know it's size ( dimensions ), i finished roughing in the mount / pod . it has aft air vents & a vent / wire path for motor wires. jus messing round.
( pod is/was part of chopped tail section )

i will have a watt meter & 3 props to test , 2 8x4 versions , and a 7x6e

but i wish / hope my LHS has some cheap foam landing gear. i think i want to avoid hand launch.. but that new motor pod may make hand launch easier ? .
- i do want gear as an option.

- now just need package to arrive .
:: oh and i scrapped hiding the inkage and wil hot glue servos into wing near boom .
Hand launching will be a bit difficult with no place to hold onto the plane near the CG. If you set the ESC for brake off, a prop that large should easily kick to the side if it happens to touch the ground.

I think I'd slim down that pod if it were me... keeping as little blockage of the air flow into the prop as possible. You can always do that after a trial flight, of course.

When you say you gave it right thrust. When looking from the rear, is the motor thrust line pointed to the right of the plane centerline? If so, the plane will probably turn LEFT, since it's a pusher. It will try to rotate about the CG, which is in front of the motor (just the opposite from a tractor motor up front).

I just put my pusher motor aligned straight ahead, and it flies fine that way with no offset at all.

Good luck with the maiden flight!
Old Jul 08, 2010, 01:50 AM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeek View Post
Ohh great, AA is in this thread now too?! Aww man...

Trimming the wings back will give you higher top speeds and a higher roll rate. Will also give less stability and ability to glide.

for your seaplane the end of the step should be directly on / forward of the CG.
Yeah CG now you have me to kick around. I know my step is wrong and I appreciate your feedback. I'm going to work on the bottom a bit more and see where that gets me. I have a water rudder extension that works great. Now if I can just get the think to take off!
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:58 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
Thanks Tom .

I'll flatten it out , I can use washers to change the thrust line .
you answerd my other question , i should have break on .
if prop is vertical when break is on , wil teh esc try to hold it vert when it hits ground .

also the front part of motor pod is near COG top , so i let it saty a bit chubby for now for grip .
I will prolly make wire skids for belly to protect prop if it is an issue but the prop saver should help.
the 7 inch prop shoudl be even with belly . but the big 8's will be lower of course.

i liked the look of my quick rigged test gear . i just mocked up for placement ideas.
but i may jut do one belly wheel & skids.

i had a gas plane with one big dubro on/ in belly and skids , it could touch n go just fiine .
as i don't plan on in board servos now , i can build much the same rig .
all that in time , i just what it flying first . LOL

this setup cries for a trike gear.
Old Jul 08, 2010, 10:46 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tom .

I'll flatten it out , I can use washers to change the thrust line .
you answerd my other question , i should have break on .
if prop is vertical when break is on , wil teh esc try to hold it vert when it hits ground .

also the front part of motor pod is near COG top , so i let it saty a bit chubby for now for grip .
I will prolly make wire skids for belly to protect prop if it is an issue but the prop saver should help.
the 7 inch prop shoudl be even with belly . but the big 8's will be lower of course.

i liked the look of my quick rigged test gear . i just mocked up for placement ideas.
but i may jut do one belly wheel & skids.

i had a gas plane with one big dubro on/ in belly and skids , it could touch n go just fiine .
as i don't plan on in board servos now , i can build much the same rig .
all that in time , i just what it flying first . LOL

this setup cries for a trike gear.
You should have the brake OFF... I think that is what you meant?

FWIW, I haven't had much luck with prop savers on higher revving motors... prop isn't held centered and balanced good enough. I grass land many planes with collet prop adaptors and ESC brake set to OFF... never once broke a prop during a normal landing (knock on grass)
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:21 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
ah well thats , even better to know , because i was figuring the torq and power of this wee motor seems over what a few elastics ( o rings ) would provide . (actualy i use cut medical tube segments )

the wing is strong enough for dicus like toss ... but that is not a good way to maiden & trim . LOL ~ unexpected flat spin anyone.

now i wait for the motor and power systems . I just hope i can program, the meg 8 . i have a few sets of walk threws , so should be ok .
"knock on grass " lol .

i will have to make do for a bit after that, car is due for a timing belt change in a few months and that can be big $$$ .