HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:27 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,536 Posts
has anybody seen the Este Jet, It would be a fun one to modifye.

doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:35 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
has anybody seen the Este Jet, It would be a fun one to modifye.

doug
ANy links? I used to convert toy planes, like the Airhog Stormlauncher and Fastlane Shadowcaster (40mm EDF with elevon). They could be trickier to play with, due to the small wingspan. But a lot of them are now in EPP, so durable. With nowadays brushless and cheap small servo, there would be more fun from this work.
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
Thank you Doug for the feedback.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Aug 05, 2012, 06:56 PM
Glendale,Az.
Joined Oct 2004
3,536 Posts
I seen the Estes jet at the local HS but it is not in their catalogue yet, these are pretty cool.

http://www.estesrockets.com/media//c...12_Catalog.pdf
page 16

doug
dougmontgomery is offline Find More Posts by dougmontgomery
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:54 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Question Guys: With a Tractor motor/Prop configuration, to compensate for Torque, one would add Right and downward angle to the motor mount of about 3 degrees I am told. What is the compensation for a pusher system?

Thank you.
My local guru, who has several pusher jets, says 0-0. Pushers do not need compensation for P effect as the propwash does not roll ver the surfaces. Torque is a factor but only when you first apply throttle. For my F18 pusher it's a simple underhand toss at 1/2 throttle and away she goes.
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Aug 05, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
Thank you Trroadster, to be honest here, I know Multi-rotor copters very well but Fixed wings are new to me especially pusher props. Yes, I should have just started with something known to fly.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster View Post
My local guru, who has several pusher jets, says 0-0. Pushers do not need compensation for P effect as the propwash does not roll ver the surfaces. Torque is a factor but only when you first apply throttle. For my F18 pusher it's a simple underhand toss at 1/2 throttle and away she goes.
I have a profile F-23, wingspan is around 20". The motor is a little aft cg, so it is a pusher. Yes, 0-0, so easy to setup and flies great since a couple of years ago. Somehow the flat surfaces ahead and behind the prop counteract the torque, or maybe the flat surface behind the motor uses the propwash.

But my Titan-conversion F-4E and F7U both need thrust angle adjustment to fly straight and level.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmontgomery View Post
I seen the Estes jet at the local HS but it is not in their catalogue yet, these are pretty cool.

http://www.estesrockets.com/media//c...12_Catalog.pdf
page 16

doug
I like the cool design for the 3rd plane on this page, maybe we can convert Titan to that design:
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...anufacturer=79
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:26 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
I have a profile F-23, wingspan is around 20". The motor is a little aft cg, so it is a pusher. Yes, 0-0, so easy to setup and flies great since a couple of years ago. Somehow the flat surfaces ahead and behind the prop counteract the torque, or maybe the flat surface behind the motor uses the propwash.

But my Titan-conversion F-4E and F7U both need thrust angle adjustment to fly straight and level.
Edwin
Is there any build info on these planes?
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
You got me cornered Trroadster!

This is the big fella that kept me busy for a while, Multplex cargo converted B-17, quad brushless, AUW over 5 lbs. Not quite finished with more scale stuff: nose cone, motor cowls, belly gun turrets, back gun turrets, waist guns,.... So far still have some landing gear issue: even tough 3mm wire can't stand the floaty landing, waiting for 4mm motor shaft as strut...

Will revisit my F4U first right after.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,657 Posts
Beautiful!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Recall of my F4U Cutlass build

Sorry guys, been talking about my F7U for a while, finally got chance recalling some of the build tips. Built her last summer, before the pusher F-4E Phantom. Here are some highlights:
  • Stock fuse was cut in half before hogging out foam to make interior chambers;
    Motor at the rear end needs some reinforcement, CF rod or bamboo skewer through the aft fuse, and the firewall was reinforced too
    post 285 on this page:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...527072&page=19

Power setup: Towerpro 2409-12 1600kv motor with APC 7x5 prop, 25-30Amp ESC, 1000-1600mah 3s battery. AUW around 20 oz.

Fast roll rate and very maneuvable, nearly unlimited vertical, glide well in landing.

Will update this post.
Last edited by edwen303; Aug 06, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
893 Posts
Really nice Edwen. Gave me good ideas. Thanks for sharing.
ccsj is offline Find More Posts by ccsj
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:49 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
That's a great F4U conversion, edwen -- even more impressive seing the close-ups and detail shots!

2nd flight for the Sport Jet V3 -- almost got her dialed in....I can't believe how sensitive the elevator is!!! Very little deflection is needed as canbeseen in the video. Looking forward to getting comfortable with her so I can really open her up! This plane is a lot faster and more maneuverable than I expected - and I'm only on 3S!

AIR HOGS TITAN SPORT JET EDF CONVERSION - 2ND FLIGHT - SNICE RC (5 min 6 sec)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:59 AM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Nice flight video SNice! Love the sound of 70mm EDF, and it is only 3s, amazing! Looks like she just like the speed

I installed a 4400kv motor to 70mm EDF, but the airframe is an F-117, the scale yet draggy exhaust made her fly like a brick, barely staying in the air with 3s (~40? Amp full throttle).