Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
893 Posts
Found this gem on Friday in Target in San Jose on clearance for $6.98 and thought of converting it to RC. While waiting in line to check out, my iphone search sent me to this forum. Wowwww... You guys are great and gave me lots of idea. I'm in the middle of converting my first but have already went to three other Target in the area and hog other seven Titans that I could find. Can't wait to get my first (second, third....) in the air. I'm gutting my Bixler's gear to fit this first beauty.
ccsj is online now Find More Posts by ccsj
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Just a thought for those still planning on V-tail setup: with stock dihedral, it is perhaps feasible and COOL to have inverted V-tail. The advantage of this setup is the complete clarence for top-mounted EDF, also the V-tail would be more effective for manuverbility since the wing will no longer block the airflow from the tail, like the original Predator:
http://www.grahamlawyerblog.com/wp-c.../12/drone1.png

Of course things to be done to clear the V-tail off the ground
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsj View Post
Found this gem on Friday in Target in San Jose on clearance for $6.98 and thought of converting it to RC. While waiting in line to check out, my iphone search sent me to this forum. Wowwww... You guys are great and gave me lots of idea. I'm in the middle of converting my first but have already went to three other Target in the area and hog other seven Titans that I could find. Can't wait to get my first (second, third....) in the air. I'm gutting my Bixler's gear to fit this first beauty.
Welcome aboard! You will find the Airhog Glider has the best foam quality and workability, good airfoil to begin with. Only limiting factor is our imagination, which is NOT limited !
Last edited by edwen303; Jul 16, 2012 at 07:42 PM. Reason: whoops typo, intended as NOT limited, not "NOT unlimited" :P
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
That is the PRO work, man! If you still have a lot of dihedral, the extra weight and height for the mount should not be problem. A top heavier model likes to flip over more.. Another thing is the prop clarence seems too generous, making your cg too high. Just thinking aloud. Looking forward to your maiden flight report!
Thank you for the input, yea, that 5" prop does seem a little small now, I was considering using a 6 or maybe a 7" prop, there is clearance. I can always drill the shaft to mount the motor lower. I will wait for that however until after the maiden.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Welcome aboard! You will find the Airhog Glider has the best foam quality and workability, good airfoil to begin with. Only limiting factor is our imagination, which is NOT unlimited !
AND Made in the USA!..
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Just a thought for those still planning on V-tail setup: with stock dihedral, it is perhaps feasible and COOL to have inverted V-tail. The advantage of this setup is the complete clarence for top-mounted EDF, also the V-tail would be more effective for manuverbility since the wing will no longer block the airflow from the tail, like the original Predator:
http://www.grahamlawyerblog.com/wp-c.../12/drone1.png

Of course things to be done to clear the V-tail off the ground
Here is some discussion on inverted V-tail:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...ail-advantages
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Here is some discussion on inverted V-tail:
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...ail-advantages
Awesome and very good reading. Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
AND Made in the USA!..
Amen to this RSC! Plus the final plane is HOMEMADE in USA, too!
I have accumulated a whole fleet of different types of foam warbirds, plus Fokker Dr 1 in plan (WWI Red Baron personal mount), WWII planes including GWS Me-262 and a to-be-repaired B-17, Mig-15 & F-86, F-4 to F-22, you name it, mostly made NOT in USA (or ONLY FINALLY Assembled in USA ).
Now is the time to take advantage of the cheap electronics and battery to make our own personalized models. I will definitely teach my little ones how to make and fly them in the near future. "Keeping the kids off the street", yet entertained and enlightened.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Hopefully I'll give Triple 7 Sierra Lima a go tomorrow. She's slightly nose heavy but I'd rather have her that way than tail heavy. Filed a flight plan.

Hawk
Reading your comments reminded me my little experience with GWS B2. The model with twin tiny brushless inrunner weighs around 15oz(?), but the thrust is something like 7 oz, so ridiculously underpowered. She will NOT take off if running 1000mah 3s battery under 20C. However one day I moved the battery to shift the cg rearward, she actually took off fairly easily.

Maybe this aft cg effect on takeoff only applies to flying wing, I don't know, but too forward cg will reduce the effectiveness of your elevator in general, so takeoff with minimal forward cg might be important.
Last edited by edwen303; Jul 18, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: correct the data
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
FYI Guys: I am not sure if it is the brand of Latex flat Paint used but using a very soft brush, applying a thin layer of paint, followed with a second coat, produces a surface that appears as if it was airbrushed.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
FYI Guys: I am not sure if it is the brand of Latex flat Paint used but using a very soft brush, applying a thin layer of paint, followed with a second coat, produces a surface that appears as if it was airbrushed.
What color did you work with? Wish I can paint without airbrush: the noise and the microscopic droplets ("atomized drops"), the frequent declogging, etc. Had to wear good facemask everytime doing airbrush.
I use the cheap acrylic paint from Walmart, although sometimes the mixed pigments don't get along well with each other, for example white and black (to make gray). Normally the first coat requires more attention if you want to minimize your effort: definitely avoid rebrushing because that will ruin your first application.
The second coat will be better received by the surface as the first coat is made of microscopic particles that increase the surface area. So I do airbrush only after a not-to-bad first coat.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Quote:
What color did you work with? Wish I can paint without airbrush: the noise and the microscopic droplets ("atomized drops"), the frequent declogging, etc. Had to wear good facemask everytime doing airbrush.
I use the cheap acrylic paint from Walmart, although sometimes the mixed pigments don't get along well with each other, for example white and black (to make gray). Normally the first coat requires more attention if you want to minimize your effort: definitely avoid rebrushing because that will ruin your first application.
The second coat will be better received by the surface as the first coat is made of microscopic particles that increase the surface area. So I do airbrush only after a not-to-bad first coat.
Here are a couple of pictures showing the painted surface, the brush used and Paint. I did not use the light weight joint filler on this surface because I figured, I would maiden this craft first before investing more time. The brush is an artist brush but any soft bristle brush should work. The color was a special order used on the exterior of our house but I am sure Lowes would love to mix up a custom color for the asking.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Here are a couple of pictures showing the painted surface, the brush used and Paint. I did not use the light weight joint filler on this surface because I figured, I would maiden this craft first before investing more time. The brush is an artist brush but any soft bristle brush should work. The color was a special order used on the exterior of our house but I am sure Lowes would love to mix up a custom color for the asking.
Your custom paint sounds like similar to what a friend of mine got his paint from Homedepot. How heavy is the paint? This paint reminds me of Testor spray paint, very thick cloud and quickly cover the foam surface.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,639 Posts
Quote:
Your custom paint sounds like similar to what a friend of mine got his paint from Homedepot. How heavy is the paint? This paint reminds me of Testor spray paint, very thick cloud and quickly cover the foam surface.
Unfortunately, I did not take a before painting weight measurement, the coating is not very think at all and I really don't believe it added much more than a few grains. Not justifying here, but I am not trying to create the fastest Air Hogs here, just something that flies well and hopeful I can convert it to FPV later. so there is going to be much more weight added. I have already reinforced the airframe with some square wooden dowels, so a few more grains of paint I don't believe will harm any more.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
How underpowered GWS B-2 take off and fly

Quote:
Reading your comments reminded me my little experience with GWS B2. The model with twin tiny brushless inrunner weighs around 15oz(?), but the thrust is something like 7 oz, so ridiculously underpowered. She will NOT take off if running 1000mah 3s battery under 20C. However one day I moved the battery to shift the cg rearward, she actually took off fairly easily.

Maybe this aft cg effect on takeoff only applies to flying wing, I don't know, but too forward cg will reduce the effectiveness of your elevator in general, so takeoff with minimal forward cg might be important.
Here is how my underpowered GWS B-2 took off and flew in a light breeze.
RC GWS B-2 bomber (4 min 20 sec)