HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
So cool, guys!!! Edwen - your creativity and ability to chisel out scale airframes is amazing!!!!!! I also have a few spare wings lying around and thought of the possibility of doing a flying wing tailless model! I think it would be a challenge but with the right wing sweep and split ailerons - I think it could work!!!
Hawk - looking forward to your maiden!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:10 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
So cool, guys!!! Edwen - your creativity and ability to chisel out scale airframes is amazing!!!!!! I also have a few spare wings lying around and thought of the possibility of doing a flying wing tailless model! I think it would be a challenge but with the right wing sweep and split ailerons - I think it could work!!!
Hawk - looking forward to your maiden!!!
Here it comes, the much anticipated video of my Shinden!
RC Shinden Canard WWII fighter (2 min 51 sec)

Thanks to my wife, she did fantastic job, outperformed herself, in videoing the flight. My little ones were crying in symphony when buckled in the stroller, so no actual audio. Thinking of adding Japanese Naval March in WWII, one of my favorite military marches, to the video, but copyright issue stopped me. The actual flight time was just a couple of seconds longer than the music.
The intended music sounds like this:
Conquest of Malaya and Singapore - Japanese Naval March (2 min 20 sec)

Consider the fairly low speed for its size as warbird and the inward location of aileron, Shinden's roll rate was pretty good, and stable at inverted flight. Definitely very manuverable, comparable to my GWS Zero (wing span only ~900mm vs. 1100mm Shinden). She stalled once and yet easily recovered under power.
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; Jul 15, 2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:19 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I am addicted! This was supposed to be a quick hack job to have something to fly on weekend with the guys at the airfield. This Air Hogs conversion as a precursor for learning how to fly another fixed wing aircraft that was given to me. Well, this conversion has turned into a labor of love. Seems this quick hack has turned into a labor of love and now thinking about an FPV and EDF versions.

The V-Tail has had many revisions first using tape hinges and now it has nylon hinges with the elevators cut from the stabilizer. One moment, I wanted to install landing gear, the next moment, just a hand launcher, it seems these Air Hogs are very versatile. The motor is a RCTimer 2208-17 (1100kv) with a 5 x3 Master Airscrew prop that maybe a little under powered for this craft however, when handheld tested it, she seems to have enough power for cursing.

I had some leftover latex paint from painting the house and found it is very foam safe and easy to apply. Yes, it added a few extra grams of weight however, this entire project was one huge experience.

I have to connect the electronic, balance her and learn how to launch it. Maybe I can get one of the guys at the airfield to help me with the launching.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Edwen,

Great flying ! Man, she flies on rails ! Very impressive bash.

Wish I could report the same success with the 777 airliner version. Just is not meant for a bumpy grass field. Aborted 3-4 take off attempts today as I just could not get enough airspeed going before a rut would get her going catty-whampus. Almost, but just could not get her over the hump.

I will need a paved runway for this one. I think I'll make the B model a hand launcher/belly lander and mount the twin edf's on the fuse like an MD-80.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Jan 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Edwen,

Great flying ! Man, she flies on rails ! Very impressive bash.

Wish I could report the same success with the 777 airliner version. Just is not meant for a bumpy grass field. Aborted 3-4 take off attempts today as I just could not get enough airspeed going before a rut would get her going catty-whampus. Almost, but just could not get her over the hump.

I will need a paved runway for this one. I think I'll make the B model a hand launcher/belly lander and mount the twin edf's on the fuse like an MD-80.

-Hawk
With my Venom F-86, 3.6lb on 4s (>700W), she needs long runway to takeoff. Positive angle of attack for the wing is important for EDF or any jet to takeoff; I aborted several attempts when my Sabre didn't have enough nose-high attitude on the ground. Making nose leg longer solved this problem. Or you can shorten the main as long as the EDF nacelles do not touch the ground.

When I plan on making a scale-ish flying model, flight performance has No. 1 priority, scale look is secondary. I just want to make 'em fly!

With this Shinden, I pretty much sacrificed the scale look for better wing area (= air lift and stability), by keeping the full wingspan. Maybe you can install flaps to help taking off. More power should help too, as long the add weight for 4s battery won't be a problem for cg etc.With more than 1:1 thrust/weight ratio, handlaunch would be less risky. If I were to plan on handlaunch later, I would just temporarily put on fixed landing gear and do the test flight.

As a matter of fact, I have been reluctant putting retracts, especially tricycle setup. Typical servoless tricycle setup adds about 5 oz weight; taildragger might add around 3 oz. These account for additional 10~20% of your model weight. All the weight is against flight performance, especially for EDF.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Jan 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
I am addicted! This was supposed to be a quick hack job to have something to fly on weekend with the guys at the airfield. This Air Hogs conversion as a precursor for learning how to fly another fixed wing aircraft that was given to me. Well, this conversion has turned into a labor of love. Seems this quick hack has turned into a labor of love and now thinking about an FPV and EDF versions.

The V-Tail has had many revisions first using tape hinges and now it has nylon hinges with the elevators cut from the stabilizer. One moment, I wanted to install landing gear, the next moment, just a hand launcher, it seems these Air Hogs are very versatile. The motor is a RCTimer 2208-17 (1100kv) with a 5 x3 Master Airscrew prop that maybe a little under powered for this craft however, when handheld tested it, she seems to have enough power for cursing.

I had some leftover latex paint from painting the house and found it is very foam safe and easy to apply. Yes, it added a few extra grams of weight however, this entire project was one huge experience.

I have to connect the electronic, balance her and learn how to launch it. Maybe I can get one of the guys at the airfield to help me with the launching.
Good painting! The combination and contrast look great, did you get someone help you with graphic design?

I notice your motor is pushing the air downward, to me this looks like to give the model nose-dive attitude. Normally I would add quite some up elevator before my handlaunch, then trim back once airborne.

Good luck with your maiden and enjoy your addiction! I am fighting the addiction too.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
Good painting! The combination and contrast look great, did you get someone help you with graphic design?

I notice your motor is pushing the air downward, to me this looks like to give the model nose-dive attitude. Normally I would add quite some up elevator before my handlaunch, then trim back once airborne.

Good luck with your maiden and enjoy your addiction! I am fighting the addiction too.
Thank you.. No, the graphic design is me. I am also concerned with the line of thrust and during my sleep, I came up with a modification to allow adjustments to the motor mount's angle.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Jan 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
Thank you.. No, the graphic design is me. I am also concerned with the line of thrust and during my sleep, I came up with a modification to allow adjustments to the motor mount's angle.
Beautiful paint job! Getting ideas during sleep? That is common among great inventors and scientists, like us

Most of my maiden started with fixed landing gear, sometimes no steerable setup, just to see how they respond to full throttle taking off effort. Handlaunch itself is high risk for anyone. Guess as the builder/pilot gets more experience, with initial adding up elevator, HL becomes more rewarding.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
Beautiful paint job! Getting ideas during sleep? That is common among great inventors and scientists, like us

Most of my maiden started with fixed landing gear, sometimes no steerable setup, just to see how they respond to full throttle taking off effort. Handlaunch itself is high risk for anyone. Guess as the builder/pilot gets more experience, with initial adding up elevator, HL becomes more rewarding.
Wow, we must be cut from the same cookie cutter because that was my exact feelings about using landing gear for the maiden flight. It seems, it would be easier to see if she is nose or tail heavy and if something goes wrong, cutting the power would save her.

Thanks for the input and the confirmation. I think it would be best to make her a tail dragger for testing.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:56 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Great looking Titan, rimshotcopter!!!
Your cg location should be very close to the if not spot on with the stock glider location.
You should be able to do an unpowered glide test into some tall grass or bushes, blankets, etc. Sometimes I even crouch down low and give nice, level toss. The plane should "land" in the grass.

The one I made for my sons (see my "Titan fleet" video posted back a few pages) - I had a top mounted pod. It took me a while to get the angle right but mine sits higher than yours and it was forward of the cg.
I would throw it and then slowly apply throttle. If it wanted to nose down, I'd land ad adjust the motor angle.
...another test I did was to balance the plane on the cg point on some pencils. I then throttled up very slowly -- never went past 1/4 throttle - I just wanted to see how the thrust angle woul rotate the plane about the cg. I then adjusted the mOtor pod angle to minimize the rotation as much as possible.

Great looking model!!!! Best of luck!!! Looking forward to the maiden!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Thank you SNice for the suggestions, sounds like tests that I can conduct in my back yard without having to make a trip to the airfield.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,680 Posts
Since I have a spare airframe, think I'm going to start on the "B" model . Just don't know when I'll get to a paved field, Back to the skunkworks hangar.
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Last edited by dahawk47; Jul 16, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Since I have a spare airframe, think I'm going to start on the "B" model . Just don't know when I'll get to a paved field, Back to the skunkworks hangar.
LOL, I am into multi-rotor copters and would I LOVE to combine the two to create the prefect VTOL.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I believe I now have the thrust line in the ballpark. Once the correct angle is located, I will drill a pinhole and pin it. Hopefully, we can begin flight testing soon.

Last edited by rimshotcopter; Jul 16, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2010
401 Posts
Quote:
I believe I now have the thrust line in the ballpark. Once the correct angle is located, I will drill a pinhole and pin it. Hopefully, we can begin flight testing soon.

That is the PRO work, man! If you still have a lot of dihedral, the extra weight and height for the mount should not be problem. A top heavier model likes to flip over more.. Another thing is the prop clarence seems too generous, making your cg too high. Just thinking aloud. Looking forward to your maiden flight report!