HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:29 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Very cool and congratulations! Long shadows must have been late evening! Seems to be OK on the weight the way it glides.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:08 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,448 Posts
Is that Townsend Elementary? I live a few miles down the way from there

Xlnt flight, congrats!!

--Ray
Wrench66 is online now Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:15 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,448 Posts
That Jet fly's great Snice......congrats on a sweet maiden toss (we all can appreciate a model that just leaves your hand in a nice climb like that ).
A little control tweakin' and she'll be awesome!!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
377 Posts
Thanks Freddie and Wrench!
Here is her final look.
At some point in the future, tricycle servoless retract is in the plan.
edwen303 is online now Find More Posts by edwen303
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:38 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
Thanks Freddie and Wrench!
Here is her final look.
At some point in the future, tricycle servoless retract is in the plan.
I still am very happy just how well this flew! Very remarkable. I have a few FB's that love unusual aircraft, but they usually lead to unusual flight behaivor. Not this. Smooooooth.......... Baby!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,448 Posts
I just PM'd a flying buddy who LOVES Axis warbirds with your post and build........he is gonna flip!
Xlnt work, I think your lower stabilizers are working great btw.

--Ray
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Jan 2010
377 Posts
Thank you guys for the encouraging words! She now gained a little more than 1 oz after airbrush of paint and waterbased polyurethane, I will remaiden her soon.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
377 Posts
Shinden was originally intended for turbine jet engine which was supposedly sent in from Nazi Germany. What do you guys think of the feasibility of 70mm EDF Shinden?

For the cool factor, a Northrop N9m tailess flying wing would be more interesting. Nowadays twin counter-rotating prop setup seems so doable. This will be a great way ultilize the extra pair of Titan wings.
Why haven't seen any of you modeling B-1 or B-52 bombers in pusher configuration? Looks like only some minor trimming and we will have a great part of aviation history! I will put down in my todo waitlist.

Shinden looks great, yet she comes along not alone, I must have gone through almost 10 Titan gliders: conventional tractor (F84F), canard V1 and V2 (both RIP now), flying wing with twin vertical stabs, F7U Cutlass pusher, F4E Phantom pusher, Trainer, and maybe some others.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
377 Posts
Planes that I am "dreaming/converting" about from Titan or its wing only:

For the bomber, the tail section is perfect location to put an inrunner with high kv and small prop without losing too much scale factor.

Gonna have to get more $7 Titan gliders from Walmart.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
377 Posts
Update for the Shinden J7W1:
Just switch to my swapped-out Parkzone Park 480 motor. Shocked and frustrated initially at only ~18 amps with 3s 2200mah and Trojan 9.5x7.5 prop, but notice the thrust is more than 1:1, so this motor's efficiency looks impressive.
Current AUW is 31 oz, almost exactly same as PZ T-28 with stock configuration. Will test fly tomorrow again. The main reason using this heavier motor is to bring CG backward and help areobatics and landing.

Looking forward to seeing more of you guys maiden or remaiden reports!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:27 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,333 Posts
Hopefully I'll give Triple 7 Sierra Lima a go tomorrow. She's slightly nose heavy but I'd rather have her that way than tail heavy. Filed a flight plan.

Have had some problems with the retracts. When I re-mounted the mains, I made a balsa crib as they were getting somewhat loosey goosey , hot glued in the cavities. I knew they would never hold up. Hot glue for the retracts was a bad idea to begin with and will not happen in the "B" model.

I think I made the mistake of getting epoxy in moving parts of the gear. Growling. Really struggling, not robust at all. They are inconsistent. Sometimes both retract and sometimes just one and the other one binds and growls. Worked in some WD-40 and have exercised them back and forth several times. Seemed to help but not sure if the problem is 100% rectified.

So, I figure I can raise them after rotation and if I get a failure during approach set-up and don't get three greens, I'll declare an emergency and belly land her. The foam nacelles will probably not like this plan.

Oh well...

Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Last edited by dahawk47; Jul 14, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,333 Posts
Edwen,

Love your ideas. I was thinking about a Sud Caravelle:
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Edwen,

Love your ideas. I was thinking about a Sud Caravelle:
Thanks Hawk for sharing your interest! Would yours be a twin EDF?

Tested Shinden with Parkzone Park 480 960kv motor on 3s. Very pleased with the thrust and speed on only ~200W. Actually didn't notice any speed change from 3/4 throttle to full throttle, so for less than 200W at this 31oz bird she performed excellent. This is way better than according to the "minimum 100W per lb" rule.

Need to work on landing as she didn't touch down without a little jaulting. Guess the longer nose leg landed first and caused the bounce. Will try coming in hotter and pull up a high alpha, with main touching down first.

After landing I noticed the bystanders who were supposedly practicing basketball were really watching. Guess the unconventional look of Shinden and her performance (high speed low pass, roll and loop, figure "8") really got their attention. Haven't tried inverted flight yet, but I really think she should be MORE stable at Inverted posture.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2010
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
Have had some problems with the retracts. When I re-mounted the mains, I made a balsa crib as they were getting somewhat loosey goosey , hot glued in the cavities. I knew they would never hold up. Hot glue for the retracts was a bad idea to begin with and will not happen in the "B" model.

I think I made the mistake of getting epoxy in moving parts of the gear. Growling. Really struggling, not robust at all. They are inconsistent. Sometimes both retract and sometimes just one and the other one binds and growls. Worked in some WD-40 and have exercised them back and forth several times. Seemed to help but not sure if the problem is 100% rectified.

So, I figure I can raise them after rotation and if I get a failure during approach set-up and don't get three greens, I'll declare an emergency and belly land her. The foam nacelles will probably not like this plan.

Oh well...

Hawk
I opened several of my servoless retracts, sometimes to replace leg, others just to check the problem, fairly easy to do with enough attention. I even drilled 4mm holes out of the 3mm hole to fit beefer leg. Just don't want to spend another ~$10 for a piece that can be fixed within a few moment, if careful enough. Keeping running the problematic retract might cause permanent damage on the electronic circuit.

Normally I only gorrila glue the mounting ply piece before putting in the retract. Never had problem affecting the retract this way as retract unit will not be in contact with the curing glue.

We learn from playing this hobby, and will become better eventually.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:05 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,333 Posts
Edwen,

Thanks for the tips on the retracts! Would love to see some video of the Shinden. Sweet looking conversion. Very creative.

I have a watt meter but have not tested the 66mm eflight edf's yet. Suspect the power to weight ratio will be okay.I'll need it. It scooted fast on the taxi test with very little throttle. Hope to get enough airspeed on a short take off roll which is my biggest fear.

For the "B" model, yes, I was thinking Caravelle, Gulfstream, Citation, MD-80 with the rear fuse monted edf's. Would like to find some fan units smaller in dia than the huge e-flight nacelles I have now.

The air hog already has some incidence between the h-stab and wing but I could increase it to look more like the mid tail Caravelle. Would probably take out some dihedral. I actually worked for a company in the late 70's /early eighties that had the last passenger carrying Caravelle in the US. We were the "talk of the ramp" everywhere we went. Attracted a lot of older UAL Pilots that remember the Caravelle from the 60's.

Spent some time repairing my fist AH conversion today and setting up a couple of ARF's.

Hopeful for a good day tomorrow ! Bringing a carload of planes.

-Hawk