SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:18 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
Thanks SNice !
Glad your maiden exceeded expectations !
I'm going to have to build one. Don Douglas probably had something up his sleeve when he came up with F4 phantom with tail anhedral.

Might be able to squeeze in maiden on Tuesday night but then I have to travel again on Weds.
Can't wait to see your maiden vid

Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:31 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
SNice,

That is the kind of maiden report I love to read. Sounds like it is just about perfect in all the expected behavior. Interesting she floats along in ground effect so well with the all up weight. 70mm rocks the world and on such a light airframe (to start) and glider design to boot. Drag shouldn't be much of an issue with that horsepower!

Congratulations. I don't know what effect the anhedral has overall, but you would think it contributes to a very sporty manuver when called upon!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Question, with the nature of the Air Hogs, what type of Air Speeds are you guys getting (Assuming)?
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:00 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
Indicated ? Lol
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
I did not mean to come across as being sarcastic and I can't wait to get my Air Hogs done so I can do some experimenting. However, looking at it while making the modifications, it seems only able to fly so fast and any added power to push it faster will only be wasted.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:27 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
I did not mean to come across as being sarcastic and I can't wait to get my Air Hogs done so I can do some experimenting. However, looking at it while making the modifications, it seems only able to fly so fast and any added power to push it faster will only be wasted.
If speed is your goal, look for an airframe that does not have a high lift airfoil like the Titan... it's essentially
intended to be a glider. 50 mph is possible... not super fast, but makes for a nice "zoomer" for sport flying with aerobatic ability if you have ailerons and rudder.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Thank you Tom, I am not really into speed or aerobatics, actually I was hoping to one day make one for FPV.

So I am trying to select the right power system.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:37 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
I flew my tractor version with a Grayson V2 and 6 x4 . Way overpowered. 1/2 throttle. Was afraid I was going to tear the airframe apart. She does like to glide.that's what she is after all. Flew her for about 10 minutes. Checked battery and had 1/2 capacity remaining. Still fly her but I'm going to prop up.
Might be a good home for my original HZ super Cub brushed motor. Maybe not.

-Hawk
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:38 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,727 Posts
Quote:
Thank you Tom, I am not really into speed or aerobatics, actually I was hoping to one day make one for FPV.

So I am trying to select the right power system.
Oh, OK. This would make a pretty nice FPV platform. Mine is powered by a small "2209" class (Grayson MicroJet V3 2200 kV) outrunner with 5x5 prop and small 1300 mAH 3S lipo. It's a lightweight "zoomer" but also glides very well. Depending on your FPV gear weight, a larger battery and/or prop/motor might be advantageous, as would keeping the stock wing span to handle the heavier payload.
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 08, 2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Great Infor Guys, thank you.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:56 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,572 Posts
Quote:
Question, with the nature of the Air Hogs, what type of Air Speeds are you guys getting (Assuming)?
My pusher F84F replica got a reading of 75mph+ two way avg on an 82 degree day with 5-7mph breeze. Assuming the video Doppler is semi accurate Trimmed wingtips and approx 20oz auw.

Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
My pusher F84F replica got a reading of 75mph+ two way avg on an 82 degree day with 5-7mph breeze. Assuming the video Doppler is semi accurate Trimmed wingtips and approx 20oz auw.

This is one AWESOME looking modification and great performance!
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:14 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,023 Posts
Here's the Maiden!!!

Speed: the model was actually a lot faster than I thought it would be. I never did a full throttle pass... my fastest pass was at around 75% throttle. Once I get the control throws locked in and calm her down a bit, I will be sure to do some low altitude speed passes! I'm hoping to be able to knife edge this one!

I think this would be a great FPV platform -- as you can see below in my landing attempts -- the wings do A LOT of lifting (especially with flaps)!

AIR HOGS TITAN SPORT JET EDF CONVERSION - MAIDEN - SNICE RC (8 min 37 sec)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:30 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,681 Posts
SNice,
Great maiden and well-deserved with all the TLC and work you put into this plane. Very impressive !

-Hawk
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
401 Posts
Successful maiden of Shinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
An admirable attempt to make a RC Shinden with nitro engine and full scale detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CQR3VsbAf_c
Finally sneaked into a school playground and maidened the Shinden. She flew very stable, except for some up elevator trim (I will reduce the down angle of ailerons to correct this later). I flew her at 3/4 throttle most of the time but as a warbird she was begging for more power. As you can see she floated in when landing with power off.

Setup:
2200mah 3s battery
1800kv motor at ~30A
AUW ~800 g

Maiden video of Shinden:
RC J7W Shinden maiden flight (2 min 50 sec)
edwen303 is online now Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; Jul 09, 2012 at 06:36 PM.