HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:28 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssassinXCV View Post
can you still buy these? checked the websites, and not results. and amazon/ebay want $40 for one. -_-
They are seasonal but if you have a Target or Wal-mart, they are in the toy department. Maybe Canadian Tire or Sears Canada ? I'd give you my extra one I have but was saving it for the B model. I could head down and check it out for you. Not sure how much it would be to ship there. Probably more than the USD $10.00 + tax they cost. Might call down to Seattle.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:23 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
From Titan to Shinden... Part I

Fascinated by the Impirial Japanese experimental fighter J7W "Shinden" and with some experience with Titan-to-Canard conversion, finally I got time around to convert the Titan to a Shinden. Here is the part I of my build.

Use some wing tip washout to make the model more stable, similar approach I mentioned in this thread a little earlier.

Also the canards are situated higher than the full scale.
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; Jul 03, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
From Titan to Shinden... Part II

The scale effect behind and under the cockpit, as well as the engin cowling, comes from masking tape + soda bottle/milk bottle. This is going to trickier to paint with waterbased acrylic paint because the paint can be easily rubbed off when doing second coat, also easier to be damaged by moisture, even after water based polyurethane finishing coat.

Use 6mm Depron and bamboo skewer to come up the canard, go cheap . Guess the canard won't survive well if crash anyway, so save CF for some other less experimental projects.

Now the power setup is:
Exceed RC 1800kv motor with 8x4 or 7x5 prop.
3s 2200mah battery
Measured at ~28A and ~300W. With 7x5 prop the thrust:weight ratio is more than 1. If not crashed then there should be some performance.
The cg is calculated from canard cg calculator, with 10% statistical margin the cg is close to the leading edge of the main wing.

Have to cool off my excitement and wait to maiden her next weekend (will be out of town this weekend).

Just in case, before I crash her, please feel free jump in giving some advice and suggestions.
Last edited by edwen303; Jul 03, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:38 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,802 Posts
Wow Edwin,

How clever is that? Very interesting idea. Can't wait to see that one fly.

-Hawk
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:14 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,951 Posts
Thumbs up edwen303...

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:58 PM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,580 Posts
THAT....is cool! Wow, I do like that
One thing.....upon rotation, will those vertical lowers touch?

Can't wait for the maiden
--Ray
Wrench66 is offline Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
THAT....is cool! Wow, I do like that
One thing.....upon rotation, will those vertical lowers touch?

Can't wait for the maiden
--Ray
Thank you guys for the cheering up

Wrench,

The clarence between the lower vertical stab and the ground is around 1". So far rotating on the ground seems alright, definitely a not-so-perfect landing will probably damage the vertical stab.

The full scale had some issues with prop strike during test flight. I think this Shinden had only a few test flights before the end of the war, not fully tested. Someone said the test flights were only with gears down. The lower part of the vertical stabs were fitted with wheels in addition to the main gear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_...7W_Shinden.jpg

Honestly except for a discontinued hobby-lobby profile Shinden, there seems more negative or no outcome for a rc Shinden. Would love to see more rc Shinden flight videos on youtube.

True story: I always listen to my wife's comment on my planes before maiden or major mods, and her "prophecies" have been almost 100% correct . To this Shinden, she felt "too weird", which I agree: if Shinden flies inverted, it probably looks more normal... Will see next weekend.

Second thought: Actually what might affect the vertical stab is taking off. If lifting off at high angle, the lower part might touch the ground. Hopefully the high angle of attack with longer nose gear leg than the main gear legs will help avoid using any significant elevator input for taking off.
Last edited by edwen303; Jul 04, 2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Additional note
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
Since I rushed the build over a couple of long night work, now there are some tricks I would like to share:

1. Makine holes in the chunk of styrofoam: I use either soldering gun for interior cavity, or use heat gun with high power to heat up the tip of long screw driver to make long or more delicate exterior part like machine gun ports. Both need some practice as high temperature can melt more than you planned.
2. I used a lot of reinforced tapes and masking tapes for places where mechanically more damage might occur. Titan glider has very good foam, but weaker than foam from GWS or EPO.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
409 Posts
An admirable attempt to make a RC Shinden with nitro engine and full scale detail:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CQR3VsbAf_c
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:10 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
They are seasonal but if you have a Target or Wal-mart, they are in the toy department. Maybe Canadian Tire or Sears Canada ? I'd give you my extra one I have but was saving it for the B model. I could head down and check it out for you. Not sure how much it would be to ship there. Probably more than the USD $10.00 + tax they cost. Might call down to Seattle.

-Hawk
I phoned up my local walmart and they say they have them... $10.99, guess their website just sucks Going to pick up a few for spares

UPDATE: Picked up 2... took a while to find them, searched the whole toy department for 15min before i found them in some bucket at the front. One pusher Prop, One possible EDF.
AssassinXCV is offline Find More Posts by AssassinXCV
Last edited by AssassinXCV; Jul 04, 2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 09:17 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,802 Posts
Roger Assassin ,

Glad you got em. Welcome to the bash !

A fun build either which way . Endless possibilities .She wants to fly. Whoever thought we would see a Shendin !
Use hot glue or Beacons or epoxy . Do not use CA or Welders . Burns right through

-Hawk
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:27 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Hey Guys, great information here.. I am having a hard time trying to decide on using an EDF or a single 5" prop system. Question, for the guys that are using a EDF, what type of flight time are you getting with a 2200mah battery and what size EDF?

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:57 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,802 Posts
Rimshot,

SNice probably has the most experience in this area. I expect my twin to be about the same as the Eflight Airliner since it has the same 66mm edf units, motors and 30 amp esc's. Installed a UBEC to power the rx, servos, retracts. It's lighter than the Eflight airliner so I'm expecting the same or slighly longer flight time. I'll set the maiden for 4min. max and check.

-Hawk
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Thank you Hawk.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:20 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Rimshot,

A 55mm Hyperflow fan, with a rimfire brushless motor like used in the L39, Synapse, etc will get 5 minutes from a 1300 30c battery tops. I wouldn't use a 2100mah on a small EDF like that for weight factors.

Given a 65mm or so EDF, still probably 5 minutes, maybe 6 depending on how hot your motor and if you use some throttle management. If you go insane power, and like to stress out your electronics, then 3 to 3 1/2 minutes would be acceptable. I perfer the 5-6 minutes and less white knuckles.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B