HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Thanks Herk,

Already have the 6 amp UBEC ready for install. Probably should have just tried the linear bec on one of the esc's but since I have it, I'd might as well use it. Was simply going to tap into the esc to batt wires below the connector somewhere.

The plane is near ready. I already know 20 things I'd do differently and/or better on the "B" model. We'll see if she gets airborne. Need to run some tests. Thinking of going for flapperons.

Flew "elcheapo" today. On hand launch, the motor mount came loose and I crashed. Bent prop shaft and broke prop but the rest is okay. I think the Grayson V2 might be too much power for this bird. 22,000 rpms. Probably could have taken off on half throttle.

Cheers,

Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:48 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Airliner Completed !

Build Highlights for the “ A” model - Air Hogs UF Gators Airliner
It’s basically done. Just need a little preflight testing and last minute adjustments.

Though the Orange and Blue color scheme is for my Alma Mater- University of Florida, I had another motive. If you follow SEC college football, you’ll know that Texas A&M is the latest addition to the league. Many of our club members are A&M grads and this is my way of welcoming them to the big leagues - LOL

Features:

WS: 36 “
Length: 33”
AUW: ~ 2 #
Ailerons: 10” long x 1.5” wide balsa w/ blenderm tape hinges
Elevators: 4.5” long x 1.5” balsa w/ blenderm tape hinges
Rudder: Not included
Engines: (2) E-flight 66mm edf’s w/ 3 blade fans and nacelles
Motors: (2) 3500kv outrunners from e-flight- www.horizionhobby.com
ESC’s: ((2) 30 amp e-flight- linear bec’s disconnected
UBEC- Genesis Power Blizzard GP-UBEC-6A – www.bananahobby.com
Retracts: Servoless electric A type Power HD from www.Valuehobby.com
Servos1) 8g generic for steerable nose gear. Had it laying around.
(4) Towerpro 9g from www.headsuprc.com
Y Cables, Horns, pushrods, golden rod, clevices, ez connectors, etc. : LHS- Roy’s Hobby- Hurst Texas http://www.royshobby.com/
Covering: Orange mylar sheets from LHS and 2mil packing tape from www.tapebrothers.com
Decals: wetslide from www.decalpaper.com + krylon acrylic clear high gloss spray
Earth magnets : (6) 4+2 for the two cabins- www.headsuprc.com
TX: Futaba 6EX
RX: Orange Fasst compatible 7 channel

Build highlights

- Clipped wings and H-stab- Could have left them alone or not clipped them back so much. We'll see.
- Made ailerons and elevator surfaces from balsa. Stiffer but the chord needed to be larger. Model "B" improvement
- 2 cabins separated by a tunnel. Best to have a thin hot wire and then soldering iron. Did a so-so job on carving. Model "B" improvement
- Added balsa flooring for front rx cabin, popsicle sticks along the rear battery cabin
- Connected wings through fuse with CF tubing
- Carved out pockets in fuse & wings for servos and LG
- Used hot wire stick to cut wire paths along wing to fuse
- Set up and bench tested steerable nose gear servo and linkage before installing. Good idea !
- Carved out space under wing for engine pylons. Would bring them in closer to the fuse next time. Model "B" improvement
- Used hot glue, Beacon’s and epoxy
- Kept esc’s on outside of bottom fuse for better cooling. Velcro to secure but really didn’t need it.
- Single battery set-up 11v 2200 mah 25C or can go 4S
- Y harnesses for LG (3way), elevators(2-way) and throttle(2-way).
- Added servo extensions to aileron wires
- Flapperon programming with channels 1 & 6. Set at about 20 degrees
- Added popsicle sticks for canopy alignment to fuse. Squared sides off a little for better canopy fit.
- Used screws for magnet receiver, epoxied earth magnets into the removable canopies
- Notes to self:
1) Don’t cut servo wires for starboard aileron. Fixing after it's covered is no fun.
2) Bring LG closer in next time. Should have picked this up from Herk. Wide stance is okay
3).Use Mounting plates for LG in the wings. Concerned about hot gluing them in. One hard landling away.
4).Extend wingspan slightly. Wanted to make winglets but didn't get around to it.

Looking to maiden this weekend. Probably Sunday afternoon after the heli guys get out of the way. Will run taxi test this week. Already ran up engines and tested retracts. CG seems okay. All systems go so far. More preflight tests ordered.

I'll make sure to get some video !

-Hawk
Last edited by dahawk47; Jun 25, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:56 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahawk47 View Post
If you follow SEC college football, you’ll know that Texas A&M is the latest addition to the league. Many of our club members are A&M grads and this is my way of welcoming them to the big leagues - LOL
Thanks for the welcome! We're all looking forward to playing with the big dogs (and hopefully not getting totally demolished by them)! Gig 'em!

Nice job on the Titan as well. I'm currently working on making one into a pure glider.
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Last edited by TexasAggie; Jun 25, 2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:07 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
Thanks for the welcome! We're all looking forward to playing with the big dogs! Gig 'em!
Looking forward to the game in College Station ! I'd go, but I don't want to stand the entire game- LOL In the SEC West, you've got a tough neighborhood with Alabama, LSU and Arkansas. Welcome to the madness !

I think my A&M buddies will get a kick out this plane.

Cheers,

Hawk
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:56 PM
Gig 'Em!
United States, TX, College Station
Joined Nov 2010
646 Posts
Quote:
Looking forward to the game in College Station ! I'd go, but I don't want to stand the entire game- LOL In the SEC West, you've got a tough neighborhood with Alabama, LSU and Arkansas. Welcome to the madness !
You only have to stand if you get tickets in the student section. The first few games, and quite possibly seasons, will probably be pretty tough until we start improving. I've heard some people around campus say, "Better to be the worst of the best than the best of the worst." I wish I could see the faces of some of the players when they set foot on Kyle Field for the first time in front of 80,000+ fans all yelling at once! Whoop!
TexasAggie is offline Find More Posts by TexasAggie
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:03 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,619 Posts
Quote:

Build Highlights for the A model - Air Hogs UF Gators Airliner
Its basically done. Just need a little preflight testing and last minute adjustments.
-Hawk
Just a question... are the motors aligned parallel to each other in the flight direction. It's probably an illusion due to the wing sweep or camera lens angle, but they look to be a bit "wall-eyed" (pointing outwards very slightly).

Waiting for your vids!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 26, 2012, 01:09 AM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Hi Tom,

It's an optical illusion. They look a little cattywhampus because they are too far outboard IMO. They're pretty well aligned for where they are located. but they do have a slight down thrust angle.Hoping this will be an asset more than a liability.

In the "B" model, I plan to move the engines and retracts inboard about 2 inches. Could have gone with a longer WS. It's got a wide stance.

Taxi test tomorrow.

Thanks,

Hawk
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:41 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,619 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tom,

It's an optical illusion. They look a little cattywhampus because they are too far outboard IMO. They're pretty well aligned for where they are located. but they do have a slight down thrust angle.Hoping this will be an asset more than a liability.

In the "B" model, I plan to move the engines and retracts inboard about 2 inches. Could have gone with a longer WS. It's got a wide stance.

Taxi test tomorrow.

Thanks,

Hawk
I think your motor downthrust is a good thing with the thrustline being below the vertical CG location (which normally causes a pitch up condition. Plus, the wings high lift airfoil will climb as speed increases, so the downthrust will help with that, too.

I agree with your version 2 mod plan, too.

Good luck on the testing and maiden!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:58 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Thanks Tom,

Kelly Johnson, Jack Northrup, Don Douglas were probably all thinking of the B model while the A model was being built.- LOL I knew as I was building what changes I would make in the B. Already thinking: " Salvage ! "

The cool thing about these Air hogs, is that since the air frame is already there, there's not a lot of dimensioning. A lot of trial and error as you go type of build. I'd get a revelation and then try something. " Kind of looks right "

The first conversion I made was truly a $9.95 airplane and still flies on rails. I had everything laying around and did not have to buy anything.. This one has been more or less a money pit. I'd say the program had some overuns- LOL

I'm just hope ful she'll get past V1 and rotate.

Many thanks to all the converters like you who have inspired me to build this plane. I have lots of doubters at my club who I have discussed this with.

We'll see...

Hawk
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:13 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
Getting ready for Maiden

Quick test Gator Titan Airliner.wmv (1 min 10 sec)

I minute vid. Drove the Gator Airliner around the driveway for a while. Could not get vid while I was maneuvering around.

Checked out okay. Hard to do any high speed testing. She rolls pretty true though.

Had to make a hold down for the nose gear servo control rod so that it will extend and retract consistently. Was riding up on the shaft causing the wheel to turn during retract.

At the kitchen table. You might hear my wife at the very end when I gunned the throttle." What are you doing?" LOL

Ready to give her a go ! Will get video assistant.

The "B" model waits in the hangar !

Hawk
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
19,474 Posts
Lol

Haha

Love the ending; my wife wouldve likely said the same.

Theyll never understand

Sweet looking plank
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Great video,Hawk -- love the retracts-- can't wait to see her in the air!!!

OK -- my V3 Titan Jet (Actually V2 Titan Sport Jet) is just about done! Just need to hook up ailerons, flaps, and finalize battery and ESC placement. Other than that, she is ready to go!

AUW is about 32.8oz with a 2650mah 3S lipo. With the 70mm edf, larger battery, larger ESC, flap servos, wing tubes, and full paint job, she is quite a bit heavier than the previous 64mm version. I haven't determined the wingloading numbers yet, but hopefully she will still be in the "hand-launchable sporty aerobatic jet range". The 70mm seems to have enough power -- she will torque roll against my palm a bit over 65% throttle... wonder if the 3900kv motor could take 4s?

I have documented this build extensively with pictures, and templates. Once we get a successful maiden, I will put everything together into a build guide or thread so others may build their own "Titan SportJet"!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:22 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
SNice, that looks awsome! I will be watching to see haow that anhedral works out. Heavy metal, but it's an EDF, so it should fly fine, if a bit fast? If you gat a good arm and shoulder, irt should hand launch fine!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jul 01, 2012, 07:01 PM
Augermeister
Joined Jul 2011
2,345 Posts
SNice,

A beaute ! Looks like the Thunderbirds scheme they had on the Falcon. Where did you get the decals? I have a small, 500mm Skyangels edf F-16 with the same basic scheme. Well done. Should be a screamer. Can't wait to see the log.

I was at the field today but decided not to maiden the airliner. Too windy with sustained crosswind at 15 gusting to 22. I figure I need everything going for me on this one. Struggled with "elcheapo", the tractor prop version. Way out of trim. Nearly lost it. Needed up elevator and ran out of up trim. Not good.

I'm not gong to fight wind anymore. Too nerve racking. Hoping to get back out there on the 4th .

-Hawk
Last edited by dahawk47; Jul 01, 2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:13 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2011
111 Posts
can you still buy these? checked the websites, and not results. and amazon/ebay want $40 for one. -_-
AssassinXCV is offline Find More Posts by AssassinXCV