HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Sloping the Phoenix Evolution

What no sports??

Well... while everyone else was at Coyote hill, Jim and I proved that Verona can be fun too. Here is a video of my Phoenix Evolution slope soaring.. It is the same as the 2000 but with the 2.6 meter wing (which is one heavy bugger!). I would guess that a 2 meter wing would be even more fun on the slope. I have the usual mods like upgraded motor/esc, 3A BEC, dubro clevis hardware. I was running it without a motor or Battery but it required 2oz of lead to balance... Almost a wash in weight difference between motor vs. no motor. I have a headsuprc 2830-09 motor. Amazing efficient motor that will still spin a 10 inch folding prop. I did not use the motor at all for sloping and after four hours of flying the 3s 2200mah battery was down to 11.5v. ( I landing at least a half dozen times to check battery and change camera angles) I flipped the servo tray upside down for more servo arm clearance and added carbon fiber pushrods all around. The fuselage is painted with red Krylon "fusion" paint, with numberous coats of clear topcoat. Packing tape on wings and tail. Warning the video is way too long!

Sloping Phoenix Glider (9 min 58 sec)
woodenshoe is online now Find More Posts by woodenshoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:33 PM
remotely sensitive
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Sleeping Bear Dunes Again

I am thankful that my inlaws live in Michigan! It looks perfect for the dunes tomorrow. 15mph straight West. I am headed for the Empire Bluffs this time. (1.5 mile hike..maybe a little snow) If anyone stumbles on this thread and wants a last minute road trip adventure.. here it is. I should be there by 11am and will stay a few hours till frozen. I just have the Phoenix evolution this time in the 2.6m wing. Maybe it will evolve to the 1.6m. I should have better video. I know it's not Southern Wisconsin. See you there! SHoe
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:46 PM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,648 Posts
I'm leaving right now, Gary!

Well, in spirit only -- if you see my spirit floating around, please let me borrow your transmitter!

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is online now Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
remotely sensitive
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Sleeping Bear

I got there through icy snow roads... they got 4-6 inches of snow at the lake.. Beautiful hike and a few lessons learned. 1. Bring spare RX's 2. bring more than one glider 3. Next time I am bringing a totally separate radio system just in case. My Corona synthesized rx refused to work. I played with it more than an hour but it was just a glitchy mess. ( i will no longer trust my corona stuff ) I tested last night...flawless. I think it was cold in retrospect and should have tried to warm it up. Well, it was a nice hike, I have now been to 3 of the 4 flying sites at sleeping bear. I would say that empire bluffs would not be an easy landing place in winter, if you stay on the trail and a busy spot in the summer. It was awesome though. Just amazing views, Icy cyrstal clear water, A bald eagle cruised by, 5 deer scrambled out of the woods. The slope is not as clean as the dunes lookout off of Pierce Stocking Rd, and the vertical was maybe 50-100ft less. It would be good for a W-WNW wind. The wind was about 10mph. I think it would not have been a problem staying up there. Hope the wind is good at Christmas.. have to pack the skis. Will post a little video when I get home.. Promise. SHoe
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
57 Posts
hahah sounds fun
calen is offline Find More Posts by calen
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:03 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,648 Posts
Flying today

It was a work day for most people today, but we "lads of leisure" managed to get to Coyote Hill this morning. The mist stopped by about 9:30, and most of the fog cleared with the winds picking up. Darryl and I left for the hill by 10:30 and Mike joined us about 30 minutes later.

Darryl brought his ASW-28 and unknown "greenie" used 48" wing of questionable source, to fly for the first time. I brought my Carbon Bird, Weasel, and Sally v 2. Mike had his usual handful of planes -- Xeno, Weasel, Alula, WWII fighter, and maybe something else, not sure.

The wind was 12-18 mph up the hill, and the overcast kept thermals to a minimum, but there was still quite a bit of turbulence. "Greenie" went first, and seemed to wallow a bit. Despite trying to keep some speed, the first flight ended up back in the plowed field at the top of the hill. While Darryl was retrieving, I threw up CB, which really ate up the conditions today with some great altitude when I put in some camber, and some wonderful high-speed passes and the hollow-wing "whoosh" as it went by.

Darryl threw the ASW, which cruised nicely for the better part of an hour with CB, but then got swatted down in turbulence before Darryl had a chance to fire up the motor and hit hard in the field, busting the nose (like so many ASW's have done already. Another shot at Greenie, some decent flying, but it ended up at the bottom of the hill in the farmer's field also. So I loaned Darryl my Sally, which flew great, until a big sink hole knocked both the Sally and Mike's Xeno to the bottom of the hill. Darryl's day was going the way that most often has been my sloping outcome. Mike took the walk, and brought up 3 planes -- this time Sally didn't go through the corn chopper!!

My flying wasn't without incident, in my second landing attempt with the Carbon Bird, I came in too fast, and when trying to go around the wingtip caught a twig from a 3' bush, which turned into hitting a 25' tree, which turned into a cartwheel to the ground. Apparently all the tree contact took a lot out of the inertia, and the CB came out of it unscathed (no thanks to me).

We left after 3 hours. Lots of excitement and fun!

-= Dave
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:50 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,359 Posts
Wow great report thanks for sharing.....

Sounds like fun!!!
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bakkie; Dec 03, 2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: you should ask Surfimp about UltraBatics
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:51 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,015 Posts
It sounds like "Russian roulette" every time you guys have an outing!

You "lads of leisure" have obstacles we have never heard of!
Corn choppers, sink holes, snow.....
/to mention but a few!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Last edited by johannlochner; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:53 PM. Reason: I see you managed to repair your CB! (from the last outing)
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:39 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner View Post
It sounds like "Russian roulette" every time you guys have an outing!

You "lads of leisure" have obstacles we have never heard of!
Corn choppers, sink holes, snow.....
/to mention but a few!
Man O Man... it was a record 65 degrees today!!! They just showed a video of this day in 1990 -- 17" of snow!!!

We have a new sloper here... Matt... who learned how to slope in SoCal. Now has to re-learn sloping somewhere where he isn't able to just hold the plane in the air, let go, and watch it fly out of his hand for as long as he wants!!!

Carbon Bird was repaired (the fuze was at 45 degrees, just aft of the wing cradle). I clamped it straight, CA'd what I could, and then slipped a yellow fiberglass sleeve (which just happened to be the size I use for Sally fuze pods, epoxied and then electrical taped over the sleeve. Worked like a charm. The hardest part of the repair was replacing the control rod for the 1/2 V-tail, since it had also bent at 45 degrees.

Test flight a couple of weeks ago, it flew well, and then in the middle of a roll went nuts. I found it on the bottom of the hill, hanging from some brush, with the nose 6" off the ground. The previous owner had epoxied the control cables into a solder connector to the servo, and the cable had pulled from the epoxy . Now both sides of the V-tail controls are soldered!!!

-= Dave
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:58 AM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,359 Posts
Look at the personalized video message Santa has sent to Dave!
http://www.portablenorthpole.com/wat...6rHDdb35IXgEZw
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:58 AM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie View Post
LOl,
Trying to fart less....hehehe
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:46 AM
remotely sensitive
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Dave will love the Hat.. the rest of the LOL (lads of leisure) will be jealous.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie View Post
OMG, that's hilarious!!
Yes, I have been more careful about going downwind when I fart on the slope. I'm glad Santa noticed!
I hope I can sleep in anticipation!

-= Dave
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:51 AM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
4,015 Posts
Happy New Year Wisconsin slopers!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:28 AM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoe View Post
I got there through icy snow roads... they got 4-6 inches of snow at the lake.. Beautiful hike and a few lessons learned. 1. Bring spare RX's 2. bring more than one glider 3. Next time I am bringing a totally separate radio system just in case. My Corona synthesized rx refused to work. I played with it more than an hour but it was just a glitchy mess. ( i will no longer trust my corona stuff ) I tested last night...flawless. I think it was cold in retrospect and should have tried to warm it up. Well, it was a nice hike, I have now been to 3 of the 4 flying sites at sleeping bear. I would say that empire bluffs would not be an easy landing place in winter, if you stay on the trail and a busy spot in the summer. It was awesome though. Just amazing views, Icy cyrstal clear water, A bald eagle cruised by, 5 deer scrambled out of the woods. The slope is not as clean as the dunes lookout off of Pierce Stocking Rd, and the vertical was maybe 50-100ft less. It would be good for a W-WNW wind. The wind was about 10mph. I think it would not have been a problem staying up there. Hope the wind is good at Christmas.. have to pack the skis. Will post a little video when I get home.. Promise. SHoe
I absolutely loved my visit to the Dunes. Wish I could make a summer trip there sometime again. I tried to get to all of the sites within the couple day visit. "Made my wife so Happy"

How long of a drive was it for you to get there?
SLEEPING BEAR DUNES (3 min 21 sec)
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Afternoon of Sod and Good Air