HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:07 AM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
468 Posts
Dereck, that condo painting must have really got you down. You didn't drop a ladder on your FourStar, did you? More than two weeks since any report on build progress.

Seriously, hope all is well.
BluIIs is offline Find More Posts by BluIIs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:58 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Seems there's another thread here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746637 in the 'builders' forum.

Life here has gone far beyond painting and thus nothing has happened to the 4*20 in the last couple of weeks. All is good, but all is also looking to move from 'interesting' to 'chaotic' or thereabouts.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
468 Posts
This thread needs a post to keep it alive.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:21 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
cheers Blulls - I've had my 20 ep kit since May. Hoping to start the build in December.
cirrus_uk is offline Find More Posts by cirrus_uk
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:49 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Very nicely turned out model Blulls! Well done.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:33 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
Very nicely turned out model Blulls! Well done.
Agreed - very nice. Think his first version was nice too.

Blulls - what do you use for covering? Do you create your own templates for the patterns?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:53 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Blulls - that is one neat finish. Mine is now being covered, but in a measly red fuselage/cream wing with kit decals. It'll do for 'this way up' clues, but will hardly cause palpitations amongst the FSOC (Four Star Owners Club).

For the record, painting etc is done. All we have to do now is clean up - its amazing how much dust painting and tiling creates - and hope that Spousal Unit can replace the Schotzski collection to her satisfaction.

I found her looking through photos of the place on her MacLaptop for pictures of our bookshelf area - she wanted to place all the 'stuff' correctly.

The 4*20 looks 'interesting' in that the SoLite is, of course, slightly see-through. Though this often works with subjects of a feminine nature (taildraggers are always 'she' on account of you never know just where they are going to go after they touch down ), I prefer to hide my model building under 'solid' covering.

Perhaps if a FS20 #2 is ever called for, I may splash out on some Solarfilm which, recalling my UK modelling days, is pretty light but is not 'slightly see-through' or whatever.

Interesting building thoughts. I finally got the tailplane and fin on. Unlike the 4*40, you are supposed to mount the tailplane fully covered with the elevators attached. That's because you can't get the elevators into place if you mounted the fin just before the elevators tried to move in ...

If I did another, would replicate the somewhat more agricultural fin/tailplane joint area of the 4*40 so I could fit and cover the tailplane and fin, then hinge-mount the elevator and rudder.

If this atypical Chicago weather holds out much longer, may get to test fly my 4*20 before next April. Went flying yesterday. Virtually no wind, 50 and a bit degrees, sunny sky. Very odd!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:24 AM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
468 Posts
Thanks for the complements Cirrus and Wiz. The covering is UltraCoat; in Pearl White, Pearl Blue, and Pearl Yellow. And yes, I printed my design patterns on paper, transferred to poster board, and hand cut the UltraCoat. It got me wondering if a vinyl trim shop could cut the pattern using my CAD files.
The patterns allowed for 3/8" (10mm) overlap and I "stitched" the covering together with heat before applying to the air-frame. I used a permanent ink marker to guide the stitching; mistake! It wiped off with alcohol where exposed, but not where covered by an edge. That is where the red pinstripe became part of the scheme. It is just automotive trim tape. I think it helps separate the yellow from the white quite nicely.
I should mention that the pearl white was a problem. The adhesive seemed to stick to the balsa okay, but it would shear loose while shrinking. So getting a taunt surface was difficult. I went through three rolls on this and the previous Four-Star. I did not have this problem with the blue or yellow, nor any other UltraCoat. Maybe my LHS just had old stock of the white, but I'm not planning on using it again.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 10:38 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
thanks for explanation - given I've never covered a model yet, take it easy with me here.

Why did you pre stitch the covering and not just apply each layer/pattern one at a time? Are you printing your designs out on a plotter or something?
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
O'Fallon, Mo.
Joined Apr 2010
468 Posts
Cirrus,
I am a relative newcomer to shrink covering too. I found on my first Four-Star that the second layer was prone to air bubbles, then there was the problem of unshrunk covering over shrunk covering. With prestitching I was working on a flat surface and only along the relatively narrow overlap, thus no bubbles. And once on the plane everything shrunk together. I really thought it worked much better that way.
I use a CAD program, but only have a 8-1/2 x 11 printer at home. One could explore having an office supply store print on a plotter or at least larger paper. Here in the US, several stores offer this kind of service for small businesses.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:30 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
thanks Blulls
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
How can I download the Sig Rascal EG72 assembly manual. Want to review kit prior to purchase. Many thnaks. Will await reply.
P.S. Sig Mfg. does not have access to downloading manuals
Robert J Wurth is offline Find More Posts by Robert J Wurth
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J Wurth View Post
How can I download the Sig Rascal EG72 assembly manual. Want to review kit prior to purchase. Many thnaks. Will await reply.
P.S. Sig Mfg. does not have access to downloading manuals
http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/SIGRC80RascalP1.html

Contact SIG via email. Your really in the wrong thread here.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:51 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
I went through the thread and collated all the motor setups I could find.

RBCCON : 2200 zippy : park 480 underpowered so switched to a Thunder Tiger Ripper Outrunner OBL 36/11-40A 165g

Dereck : Power 15 E-flite, 950Kv 152g

blulls : Turnigy G10 (35-42) 149grams 1100 kV turning a 9.5x7.5 350w

rafe_b : Turnigy 35-36 1100 Kv.

WAGliderGuy : HeadsUPRC 3542-1000kv motor 128grams

pda4you : Motrolfly DM-2810 400W 91g

As you can see there is quite a range for motor weights. Apart from Dereck, they all report success - I don't see why Derecks won't be a success given the Thunder Tiger lump.

feel free to add to the list if you have anything to add.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,876 Posts
Hacker A30-16M V2,4S A123 2300's, 10-5 APC E
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M