HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2010, 09:51 AM
Always comPLANEing
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,263 Posts
Discussion
New SIG Four Star 20 EP

I found a treat here, the Sig Four Star 20 48 inch EP semi symmetrical low wing. Battery hatch on the bottom, my only dislike.
They are not available yet, it's in preproduction and could be ready as soon as the wood gets in and cut.
I'm sold !
Peek a boo :

Their website won't let me cut straight in to the page, so, select :

Top left,

Aircraft/RC Kits
Sport Models
Top middle box, Sig Four Star 20
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2010, 02:06 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi - thanks for the info. Been there already. Should be a great little model, everything Sig makes flies great.

Would have an order in if my dear old AXI 2820 wasn't somewhere between Chicago and MD in a packing crate with the rest of our 'stuff' - and I had somewhere to build it. Will be getting one pretty soon though.

Where did you get the info on the bottom battery hatch? Can't see it on the website. Still, it's a kit. I think I can figure out how to fit a top hatch to a Four Star

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 17, 2010, 06:04 PM
Always comPLANEing
Joined Sep 2006
8,263 Posts
I had a to ask customer service. That was the only thing I needed in addition to the web page. Sig has a standard mfg. process and I know what to expect.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:03 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,768 Posts
I had to order one of these as soon as I saw this thread. As luck would have it I just crashed my Tigerkitten yesterday for about the 8th time and think it's finally about time to let it rest. I've been debating all day what I should replace it with. I was even wishing I had an easy way to get a smaller 4Star easily without designing one it would be nice. Problem solved now.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old May 17, 2010, 11:44 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Their website won't let me cut straight in to the page, so, select :
This will take you directly there...

http://tinyurl.com/2vqqorx
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old May 18, 2010, 07:04 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
That looks like a good find, Chophop. I've yet to have luck with large balsa kits. 2nd Intern-66 kit just needs covering now... but the memory of the first still haunts me. Sadly my other major FAIL in balsa kits was a SIG/Herr AT-6.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old May 18, 2010, 02:57 PM
Hemet, California, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,556 Posts
Hi,

Looks good! I wonder how long until they have an ARF version available!

Just kidding Dereck

Nice to see another classic being offered in an electric version.

Mickydee
mickydee is online now Find More Posts by mickydee
Old May 18, 2010, 05:15 PM
Always comPLANEing
Joined Sep 2006
8,263 Posts
I like 'em all. The scratch builds keep me busy whittling balsa but can cost much more than an ARF and maybe as much as a complete RTF. I used to have some trouble getting things straight enough but patience and studying how to get it on straight is the whole game here. We are in a brain sport.

I am not sure if an ARF will be made, if the kit sells, then maybe, it's their option.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:08 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
I'd buy an ARTF if I could have it in my choice of colour scheme and trusted the builder(s) to assemble the structure as well as I can

Could this be the first real kit to be offered as an electric with a glow option? Sig have made some superb electric models, but kept putting the glow conversion on the plan and forgetting to pack the original plans in the kit box

Oddly enough, there's this wing sitting in a corner of our 'dining room' (which is about four feet from our 'office' and six feet from our 'living room' - a 'corporate apartment' isn't that spacious) that looks like someone shrunk a clipwing Four Star 40 wing and converted it to a D box frame...

Kit costs? See paragraph one. For that, I'll pay a little more. How much does your RC gear cost?

Regards

Dereck
Who is now seriously PO'd that he's nowhere to set up shop
Old May 18, 2010, 07:57 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,768 Posts
I think just about every 4 Star 40 conversion thread has gone on a wish there was a 4 Star 20 tangent for a while at least once. This may be the most wished for kit among us kit builders for about the last 15 years since the 40 came out and then the 60 and 120 but nothing for those of us wishing for smaller. They finally really did it right and gave it to us electric from the start so we don't need to engineer our own hatch and de-plywood the plane. I placed my order about 3 minutes yesterday after seeing this thread.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old May 18, 2010, 08:19 PM
Visitor from Reality
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Idle thought of the latest commercial break...

Maybe if we'd told Sig about this missing Four Star variant?

Rather than just chatting online...

D
Old May 19, 2010, 12:16 AM
Always comPLANEing
Joined Sep 2006
8,263 Posts
I'll be getting one, but I showed it to Radical RC and they are going to stock the kit. I may save on shipping.
Last edited by Chophop; May 19, 2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 11:54 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,490 Posts
Sig announces this just after I finished framing up a 4*380 - a 4*40 plan Xerox'd down to 380 sqin.

BTW, I know I've mentioned it to Sig at Toledo, at least twice in the last 5 years (but not this year).

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old May 19, 2010, 12:04 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
I'd buy an ARTF if I could have it in my choice of colour scheme and trusted the builder(s) to assemble the structure as well as I can

snip
Maybe something like this?
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old May 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr View Post
Sig announces this just after I finished framing up a 4*380 - a 4*40 plan Xerox'd down to 380 sqin.

BTW, I know I've mentioned it to Sig at Toledo, at least twice in the last 5 years (but not this year).

- Roger
I mentioned to them about a Senorita ARF twice in a row at Toledo and they built one. I wonder if I was the one that planted the seed... The crazy thing is that I'd never buy one myself. I'd want to mod the kit instead.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older