HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
For an electric glider, trim for gliding. If it pulls up with throttle (quite common) then program a throttle to down elevator mix to counter that characteristic. Experimentation will lead you to the correct % value to set in the mix. I like it so that it goes where it is pointed - no nose up or nose down on throttle application. If I want it to climb under power then I use the elevator to change the attitiude.[/QUOTE]

Am going to trim it that way from now on the Radian pro and later on the Sonic 185. This weekend if weather permits I shall take her out for a few batteries worth. I have a slight problem in the landing department and must work on it. Takes forever to lay down on the turf, must experiment with the flaps as am not sure how to programe the dx8 to do the air brakes.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:14 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoDiablo View Post
I'll be using 500mahs 2S and 6X5 prop with collet.
I'm get a little shaking at full throttle on the bench test.
It's not so bad at 3/4 throttle.
You definitely should balance your props.

In case you don't know how to do that:
- put a small piece of tape on one of your blades.
- power up. If it becomes worse, remove the tape and put some on the other blade.
- add different amounts of tape on the lighter blade until it runs smooth over the entire throttle range.
- it could be that your collet or motor is unbalanced. Could be resolved with a drop of CA on the lighter side.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:55 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Got it yesterday and tried flying it - with not so good results :-) I am using the recomended 800mAh 2S LiPo .. however it seems either too heavy or the CG is not right .. anyway - it doesn't fly.

Is the 800mAh too heavy?

.. and what's the recommended CG?
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:09 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,143 Posts
Is this the stock Mini Swift? Are you using a 2S or 3S pack? I would only use the 800mah 2S on the modifed plane with the hotter motor. Otherwise a 500mah 2S at most. It doesn't float and needs good speed to prevent tip stalling. I thnk CG at about 1/3 of wing chord from LE is OK.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Last edited by Fred_L; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:08 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
800mah pack way too large. Not sure where that info is coming from. Actual good battery would be more like a 200-450mah size.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 05, 2012, 10:11 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,795 Posts
Yeah all stock .. ok I will get some 500mAh LiPo's and try again before I sell this one.
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:52 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,654 Posts
2 flights today since I've modified as per Fred's layout.
+1 for Fred!
Great setup, great balancing solution.
Flies like a chimney swift (bird, that is...).
Highly responsive, Light on the Wing, Very Fast.
Flew half throttle most of the time. a very manageable speed.
10 minute flights, easy.
I'm using a 3mm prop adapter/collet and 5X4.5 Master Airscrew Glass-fiber prop.
Very strong. I'll probably bend the motor shaft before I break a prop.

Anyway, kudos to Fred for showing me the way to Mini Swift Love!
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:00 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,143 Posts
Good to hear that you had fun with the new setup. It is just so much more fun to fly than the standard setup.
I found that I was tentative flying the stock setup as you had to manage the energy since the power train wasn't all that powerful. With the upgraded setup you can can zip around anywhere you want to - high speed low passes, big loops, vertical climbs, spin it down and just rip right back up etc. And still get reasonable flight times even on small batteries. It is a convenient size too and fits easily into the car so it gets taken along to the field often.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:57 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,919 Posts
Don't maiden your HK Mini Swift on a 3s pack when the power combo is only rated for 2s. I thought it went quite well until, after a couple of minutes of WOT running (is there any other throttle setting?), the motor let out a agonised squeal
Even then I didn't realise what I had done until I removed the 450 2s pack from my HK Atom & put to one side for charging along with the pack used in the Mini Swift. I thought the 450 pack was a tight squeeze
I had grabbed a handful of 450 nano-tech packs and didn't realize that a few were 3s packs. Good job I've already ordered the AX-1806N 2500kv motor and plush 10 amp esc as a replacement. Now that I've got enough space for the 450 3s pack I could always go 3s with the new motor. Anybody running this motor on 3s got any prop suggestions, 4.75 x 4.75?
My brief flight showed promise as she tracked well and handled a bit of wind. Aileron servo increased to 120% but still a bit slow in the roll.
Andy
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I was hoping to bring up the discussion about soaring / thermalling the Mini Swift again. On the stock set up, with a 500mah battery, I have been able to thermal and keep the plane airborne for up to 25 minutes, 30-40 minutes with an 800mah 2s. On some hot days, the little plane went almost too high to see with no power. Elevator servo recently broke, so I'm upgrading it, the motor and the ESC. I have opted for the 1811-2000kv motor (10grams) vs the AX-1806 2500kv (19g), hoping the lower weight might help. Any thoughts? A previous post mentioned longer flights at 50% throttle on the 2500kv motor vs 100% throttle on the 2000kv motor.
SpinMD is offline Find More Posts by SpinMD
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
1811 vs AX 1806

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
So here's my take. I have the 1811 200kv on it now with a 10A plush esc, stock folding prop and 370 or 460 nanotech 3s batttery. I don't know if it goes completely vertical but pretty close and there's some glide to it with the folding prop and a small battery. I have probably 30 flights on it no problems and nosed in probably 8-10 times, no damage to motor even though the nose is marbled with gorilla glue.

I also have the 2500kv axe on a Turnigy bonsai and another 2500kv for the spare airframe that came with it. Though I haven't built it yet after using it on the Bonsai it is a definate upgrade. A little louder yes but can surely swing a bigger prop too.

I like the 1811 it quiet and graceful
I like the 2500kv cuz it's got ba!!z.

Jm2cw.
Any comment on battery life or efficiency between these two motors? And does the plane still glide well with the 2500kv?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:38 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,654 Posts
I've been flying my Mini Swift these last few days but have found her so fast that I've become somewhat uncomfortable keeping her aloft. I have the upgraded version with 1806 motor. She's a hotliner that's highly responsive to small inputs. Yesterday I got her up so I high she was a just a tiny speck in the sky at which point I had her nose dive several hundred feet just to get her in a view where I could tell what she was doing. I'm running 500mah bats and have a 5.5X4.5 prop that I will switch out to slower prop.
I'm also going to put a gyro on and see if that helps with what I refer to as "twitchiness."
I think the Mini Swift is less of a glider and more of a pylon racer.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Aug 2010
42 Posts
Just maidened my Mini Swift this weekend. What a blast!! Bone stock, was calmer Saturday than Sunday. Flew nicely, loses altitude very quickly when banked though. Sunday was very windy, full throttle was just barely able to have a little forward groundspeed, was lots of fun keeping it almost just hovering in the wind.

I can see why people say it's a little underpowered, the stock ESC also takes a while before it starts so emergency punchouts are a little hairy.

Bone stock, Spektrum OrangeRX 6ch without case, 2s 370mah Nanotech batteries

What's the current recommended motor/prop combo best for making the blades fold all the way back?
Nait0 is offline Find More Posts by Nait0
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
What size propeller do you use with the 1811 2000kv motor??
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:54 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
I'll just quickly add my 2 cents - when maidened the elevator came loose and it landed heavily on the nose, no matter how tight i did it, it was loose, fixed with a extra bit of wire. The motor shaft was bent too - i was spewin, i didnt even get to fly it, luckily i found some pushrods in the garage that looked similar diameter - M2 x 300mm ones from HK aswell - perfect fit although no c clip anymore, but it works.
This is atm my favourite plane, dont know why but it just cruises around effortlessly and will do nice looking manouvres too.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella