SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:25 AM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
A 30A esc in mini swift?? A 50a ESC in a mini swift? why?
kenstogie is offline Find More Posts by kenstogie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:14 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
I've made my mods on the MS as described by Fred L and she looks pretty good.
I don't know what the weight is but she seems hefty by comparison to my other planes.
She's going to need some speed to stay in the air!

Just curious?
has anyone ever mounted the battery underneath the wing?
I'm using Zippy 500mah's.
It gets real tight inside and I need another centimeter to get the CG just right.
Also, what is the best way to "carve out" the insides?

I'm a little weary about how this bird is going to fly.
I'm sure she will fly the way she is supposed to fly, assuming she's balanced, but it's the speed thing that I'm concerned with.
Perhaps I should try my 240mah 2s batteries instead. Smaller, lighter, less mega-zippy.
That'll be on the next flight.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 31, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:12 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
Yes, I mount my battery under the wing.
I cut a slot that I can access from the side to get the battery in and out. This lets me use larger 800mah 2S batteries without changing the CG. However 800mah 2S batteries lead to excessively long flight times of around 20+ minutes and I just get tired flying for that long in one stint - so back to the 500mah 2S batteries.
My flying weight is around 160g.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_L View Post
Yes, I mount my battery under the wing.
I cut a slot that I can access from the side to get the battery in and out. This lets me use larger 800mah 2S batteries without changing the CG. However 800mah 2S batteries lead to excessively long flight times of around 20+ minutes and I just get tired flying for that long in one stint - so back to the 500mah 2S batteries.
My flying weight is around 160g.
Let me re-phrase that:
Has anyone mounted the battery EXTERNALLY under the wing?
Its seems that would solve a lot of problems

Fred: you cut a slot outside and under the wing to access the battery?
Is that directly under the wing/fuselage or to the left or right side under the wing?
Is there any compromise on the chassis structure?
I sort of like the idea of directly under the wing, in the center line of the bottom fuse, a slot wide enough to snuggly fit a 500mah bat with some external velcro straps to secure from left to right...
Also the slot should be long enough to slide the battery forward or aft to get the CG right, because as we all know, CG is critical on the Micro Swift to enjoy any sort of successful flying.
I love it and will try it this evening.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:33 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
Battery slot

Photos are attached. I just cut the slot directly under the CG to minise any CG changes with battery size variations. The battery is a press fit and I wrap the thinner 500mah ones in some foam to pack them up to size.
This keeps the battery weight, which is about 30g, on the centreline. On a 160g aircraft I think handling would be advesely affected if you had that much weight carried under one wing.
The only issues I have had have been when it has nosed in on landing (flying too slow) and the battery shoots forward into the under canopy region and the fuselage splits at the forward corner of the battery cutout. You can see where I have PU glued it back up.
Last edited by Fred_L; Sep 01, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
48 Posts
Linkage stoppers - screw too short

Can anyone tell me what you call the small circular part that locks down the pushrod with the screw on rudder control horn? The screw I received was too short and I ended up losing it when I took it the hardware store to find a replacement.

If anyone knows where I can order them on HK's site or another place, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
jetvision1170 is offline Find More Posts by jetvision1170
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetvision1170 View Post
Can anyone tell me what you call the small circular part that locks down the pushrod with the screw on rudder control horn? The screw I received was too short and I ended up losing it when I took it the hardware store to find a replacement.

If anyone knows where I can order them on HK's site or another place, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Like this maybe?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

Linkage stopper -- they have 'em in three sizes, mostly backordered, of course:

D1.8MM (10PCS) $2.95 BK
D2.1MM (10SETS) $1.11 BK
M3X2XL11.2MM (10PCS/SET) +10
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
I think the generic name for a screw that tightens down in a fitting to squeeze a rod or other part is a 'grub screw'.
Yep, they sure are small on the Mini Swift.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 09:04 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
48 Posts
Thanks that's exactly what I'm looking for!
jetvision1170 is offline Find More Posts by jetvision1170
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Well, I made the mods on Mini as described by Fred.
Balances out beautifully.
Cutting a slot in the side is brilliant.
I'd like to have some sort of "tape-over" to cover the slot once the battery is in.
I'll be using 500mahs 2S and 6X5 prop with collet.
I'm get a little shaking at full throttle on the bench test.
It's not so bad at 3/4 throttle.
I hope I don't break too many props.
I'll be flying it Thursday at the field.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Sep 08, 2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:02 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
I've never had any trouble with the battery coming out of the slot. As I said, I make the battery a light press fit in the slot.
Full up elevator, full rudder and full aileron in the direction of the rudder produces a very rapidly rotating spin. It spins like a top. Even then the battery doesn't dislodge. But the spn axis is probably somehwere around the CG and that's where the battery is, so I suspect that even while spinning there aren't very high forces trying to extract the battery from the slot.
I only occasionally use full throttle. 2/3 -3/4 throttle gets it scooting along quite well. You can cruise at 1/2 throttle. A sustained vertical climb is possible on full throttle. I get flight times just over 10 minutes on the 500mah 2S pack.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_L View Post
I've never had any trouble with the battery coming out of the slot. As I said, I make the battery a light press fit in the slot.
Full up elevator, full rudder and full aileron in the direction of the rudder produces a very rapidly rotating spin. It spins like a top. Even then the battery doesn't dislodge. But the spn axis is probably somehwere around the CG and that's where the battery is, so I suspect that even while spinning there aren't very high forces trying to extract the battery from the slot.
I only occasionally use full throttle. 2/3 -3/4 throttle gets it scooting along quite well. You can cruise at 1/2 throttle. A sustained vertical climb is possible on full throttle. I get flight times just over 10 minutes on the 500mah 2S pack.
Fantastic...
I can't wait!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
A 30A esc in mini swift?? A 50a ESC in a mini swift? why?
Actually the 2 words mini swift got mangled up. The brand name of the esc 50amp that I am using is the Swift and its installed in the Sonic 185 glider and not the mini swift plane. Down the thread these 2 words got mixed up.
She still beeps and going to try a 40 amp esc instead and see if she still does it.The motor brake I applied with the 50 amp swift esc still doesn't stop the prop from turning completely, she still turn very slowly when the throttle stick is right down. Testing the motor I found she drags 32 amps WOT so I am guessing the 40 amp esc would be more than enough to handle the current draw.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Just another general question....When dealing with gliders do you set it up so she glides level with no input from the sticks cause that would mean a slight mixing of the throttle and down elevator when the throttle is applied. When I apply the throttle she climbs immediately.My educated 2 cents guess would be to let her glide level and mix the throttle with elevator to compensate the climbing effect as gliders are mean to glide and the throttle is meant to get her there.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:28 AM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,145 Posts
The brake function is not a mechanical brake but an electrical one. It will only be active at 0% throttle. If the prop is still slowly turning then the throttle is not at 0% (well the ESC thinks it isn't). Set the throttle range as per a sequence described somewhere above so that the ESC discovers what is 0% throttle and what is 100% throttle. Move the throttle trim even lower so that the throttle output is definitely lower than 0% with the throttle all the way down.
The strange beeps and startup sequence you are describing could be because when it starts up it doesn't think the throttle is at 0%. Most ESCs will enter programming mode when started with a non zero throttle input. The beeps you hear will then will be dependent on the brand/model of ESC.
For an electric glider, trim for gliding. If it pulls up with throttle (quite common) then program a throttle to down elevator mix to counter that characteristic. Experimentation will lead you to the correct % value to set in the mix. I like it so that it goes where it is pointed - no nose up or nose down on throttle application. If I want it to climb under power then I use the elevator to change the attitude.
Last edited by Fred_L; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:17 AM.