HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:28 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
741 Posts
More weight in front, yes. Just more weight, no! (higher wing load causes early tipstall)

But my best setting is minimal weight with spot on CG. That way it doesn't tipstall when flying off-elevator and off-powered, prior to landing. I usually try to land off-power; it reduces speed to a minimum, folds and protects the prop from impact and is also good training for dead-stick situations.

Martin
Martin7182 is offline Find More Posts by Martin7182
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,083 Posts
HK Pearl

sorry for putting this in the swift thread but I have this plane which seems very similar to the swift:

After sorting out the supplied prop which does not fit with the hex screw that you don't have, I find It's a great flyer albeit a bit fragile.

Anyway, I find the wings keep popping out - should I just glue it?
rcmaverick is offline Find More Posts by rcmaverick
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:59 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Hey guys, my apologies for budding in here but am confused with regards to my Swift ESC I have here. I have just programmed this ESC to my glider as per manual and everything works well but there is this constant single beep every 10 seconds or so and was wandering whats it doing or rather what should I be doing now.
Many thanks for anyone's help.
redbaron1 is offline Find More Posts by redbaron1
Old Aug 25, 2012, 06:09 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaverick View Post
sorry for putting this in the swift thread but I have this plane which seems very similar to the swift:

After sorting out the supplied prop which does not fit with the hex screw that you don't have, I find It's a great flyer albeit a bit fragile.

Anyway, I find the wings keep popping out - should I just glue it?
Don't glue. The wing could break when crash landing.
I use 2 wooden tooth picks on the the bottom side of the wing and fuselage. Works great. Nice and snug with Just a little bit of play. And I can pull the wing out whenever I want. If that doesn't work Try sliding a small piece of a wooden tongue depressed between the wing and the fuse.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 25, 2012, 09:21 AM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron1 View Post
Hey guys, my apologies for budding in here but am confused with regards to my Swift ESC I have here. I have just programmed this ESC to my glider as per manual and everything works well but there is this constant single beep every 10 seconds or so and was wandering whats it doing or rather what should I be doing now.
Many thanks for anyone's help.
Is the throttle working properly?
Try bringing the throttle trim down almost to the bottom.

Next, try resetting the throttle end points.
Turn Tx on.
Have the throttle set to full throttle and plug in plane battery. (Be careful here just in case)
After the signal beeps, bring throttle down to minimum and that should set the endpoints.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Aug 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post

Turn Tx on.
Have the throttle set to full throttle and plug in plane battery. (Be careful here just in case)
After the signal beeps, bring throttle down to minimum and that should set the endpoints.
Thanks for that,I'm going to try it at the slopes tomorrow morning as the planes has been packed in the truck in readiness. Didn't dawn on me about the trimming of the low end on the throttle. Just wandering if it can be flown in that condition without problems.Just looking at the controls I cam see the trim is on the lower end of the scale.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:22 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:

Turn Tx on.
Tried that and the beeping stops but the problem now is that the motor starts up with the throttle stick in the lowest position and when I trim it down till the motor stops turning the esc starts to beep again. Not sure what to do now. Any ideas or thoughts on this dilemma.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:03 AM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
I have no idea from here.
weird stuff...

I guess you'll just be beeping along the skies.
Or just trim it down right before landing.
Don't crash.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Casula
Joined Jan 2012
278 Posts
Quote:
I have no idea from here.
weird stuff...

I guess you'll just be beeping along the skies.
Or just trim it down right before landing.
Don't crash.
I have installed a 50 amp esc instead of a 30 amp one was wandering if this could cause the beeping.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:45 AM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
697 Posts
Quote:
I have installed a 50 amp esc instead of a 30 amp one was wandering if this could cause the beeping.
50 amp esc on a small plane like Mini Swift seems a bit much (weight wise and technically)...
may be reconsider and match the esc to the motor manufacturer suggested level...
IndiaHobby is online now Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:32 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,802 Posts
Mr Fred et al,
I have just received my moter/esc/prop setup from HK.
The 1806-2500 motor has a 3mm shaft
Turnigy Plush 10A ESC
6X5 prop.
I will need a 3mm Prop adapter, no problem.

Does anyone mind helping me with the conversion?
I have never modified a working plane.
TIA.
-Patrick
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChinoDiablo; Aug 28, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:28 PM
ICrashRCs
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Did it beep before changing it out?
That's way too much weight for this plane.
What made you go up in amps?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
If it flies - it's good
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2003
1,144 Posts
Mini-Swift mods

I just cut off almost the whole section forward of the canopy. I used PU glue to fix a piece of plywood to the front. The plywood is the new firewall and gives something for the small wood screws that hold the motor mount, something to bite into. A hole in the firewall lets the three motor wires through to the ESC. I did not bother with any type of fairing to streamline things. It doesn't seem to matter.
The attached pictures are of what i did to my crash kit. The motor is not an 1806-2500 but another one from HK that is very similar in size, weight and power. I mounted the 1806-2500 on my original Mini-Swift using the same method.
Fit the prop saver, a little soldering is required to connect the ESC wires and that is about it.
I purchased the Turnigy programming card as it makes programming the ESC so much easier. I have other planes with Turnigy ESCs so the programming card gets use on more than one plane.
Fred_L is offline Find More Posts by Fred_L
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:57 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Quote:
Try re binding the tx rx, that often sorts it out.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:36 PM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2011
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
I would be remiss not to mention the Hobbyzone Champ. This ultra micro is a BLAST to fly, inexpensive, and handles a decent amount of wind. It would fly in that confined space easily and is a lot easier to fly. With a gws 5043 prop, it has a surprising amount of power. I love all my ultra micros and fly them out of my cul de sac so talk about convenient! Hope this helps...

Pete
+1 on the champ. Great plane - very forgiving but has enough juice to pull it along. I still love my Swift and it's unpredictability, but for days when I need something more relaxing, the champ is the way to go.
jetvision1170 is offline Find More Posts by jetvision1170