HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2010, 03:43 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Lurking Melbourne Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Deleted
junglegym is offline Find More Posts by junglegym
Last edited by junglegym; Jun 01, 2010 at 03:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2010, 10:05 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglegym View Post
IMO There is nothing wrong with the Miniswifts aileron setup .
There are several things wrong with the Mini Swift aileron setup, as I outlined previously:

- The pushrods are smaller in diameter than the holes in the control horns, leading to a considerable amount of slop.

- The ailerons are driven from the wrong side. Combined with the slop this gives a lot of 'wrong' aileron differential, leading to adverse yaw when rolling.

- The aileron servo arm is too long (or the collet is too far out on the arm) and it binds with the fuse under the wing.

Assuming it flies today, I'll post some pictures of my rework of the aileron setup.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old May 31, 2010, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Apr 2006
131 Posts
Hey DrZipLok Please DO! Just for the record me with my glueing the wing in the airlerons were working perfect for the maiden flight! Then after some hard maneuvers, they got messed up some how! Like I said the wire that is the pushrod to the hinge, got bent up in the plastic tube HK has it running through, so now each side is uneven in movement and control!

Its not binding inside of the wing from the servo horn, and when I installed it I tightened everything down (preflight install checks).

Its not the ideal way to have airleron controls! they could have mounted the servo a differnt way and maybe of done push/pull set up or just long control rod wire with real hinges.

Maybe some models they were actually installed right at the factory, mine were funny ever since taken out of the box. I tweaked everything and airlerons were working great now they are like I said "WACKY". Oh well live and learn!
elite311 is offline Find More Posts by elite311
Old May 31, 2010, 05:17 PM
Rain or shine, wind or calm
Palatine
Joined Jul 2007
364 Posts
Anyone have a tried and tested motor upgrade?
Does anyone know what the stock KV of the motor is?
typhoonmaster is offline Find More Posts by typhoonmaster
Old May 31, 2010, 08:05 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
A couple of photos after flying today. I have another gripe to add - the stock motor shaft is much too soft. I had one of the GWS 'nerf' spinners on, and the grass is easily 3-4 deep, but it still bent when dorked.

Aside from that, the Swift flies well enough. It's not a windy-day flyer, but it was OK in the breeze. No really bad habits, but be a bit careful with big rudder deflections as it will throw the tail around quite vigorously.

I junked the stock prop and used a GWS 5x3HD with good results. Current is about the same. Motor definitely runs a bit on the hot side, ESC not so bad. For those of you having BEC overheating issues, work on your linkages and hinges a bit, as this will drastically reduce BEC current.

= Mike
Old May 31, 2010, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Apr 2006
131 Posts
my eflite 800mah 2s lipo weighs exactly 45 grams and fits flat in the nose perfectly all the way forward right under the esc on the inside of fuse then my micro receiver is shoved back under fuse meets wing with cables..

heres the pics!

FYI: Cut the wing from the fuse (had it tacked in) got it out in one peice, found that the airleron cables got loose in the stupid control horn on airleron servo, so I took all of the servo hardware apart, put it back together, tightened the head down as humanly possible on little control rods, cemented the rods, and lock tite on the screw. carved out a hole for the airleron servo head that sticks out from wing. Now I can fly level without the airlerons going "SCREWY" YAY! after landing it 10 times in my tall grass in the yard, the prop keeps getting pushed up more and more on shaft. Need to fix that issue now and ALL is well FINALLY
elite311 is offline Find More Posts by elite311
Old Jun 01, 2010, 12:32 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
I pulled the motor, but the Himax shaft I have won't work because the collet that holds it in won't fit through the hole in the firewall.

I swapped in an AEO C10 (basically the same motor, slightly hotter wind) and I guess I'll see how it goes. Power with a 4x4HD is about the same and certainly moves my Fox well enough.

Moral of the story - if you're going to run a fixed prop, trim the shaft to reduce the risk of over-bendage.

= Mike
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:07 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Deleted.
Old Jun 01, 2010, 03:12 AM
3 Strykers,your out !
Joined Apr 2008
1,296 Posts
Deleted .
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:19 AM
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
512 Posts
Swift-V

Just finished my Swift-V out of the spare parts last evening.

AUW: ca 165g
Steering: Elevation + Aileron + Thrust
Engine: 19g AX 1805 2500kv with HK Spinner und 63 Blades
ESC: TowerPro 12A
Receiver: 4ch Assan
Servos: 1x HXT900 1x HXT500
Akku: 2/3S 610mAh
Thrust: ca 300g at 10A

Coloring will be done if it flies well...
(Jo)Hannes is offline Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:12 AM
Australia, NT, Winnellie
Joined Jul 2005
337 Posts
Love the V-tail!
spudandcat is offline Find More Posts by spudandcat
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:20 AM
South Africa
Joined Oct 2004
42 Posts
Looks fantastic! Cant wait for the maiden report!
Ikarus2000 is offline Find More Posts by Ikarus2000
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:40 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
Did you name it Rudolph? Looks nice, you had to tempt me to do something different with mine!!

Mine arrived today. Tail seems to be bent off a little, so will have to straighten that up a little
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:41 AM
Trier, Germany
Joined Aug 2007
512 Posts
Thanks for your comments, hope i will maiden it tomorrow...
(Jo)Hannes is offline Find More Posts by (Jo)Hannes
Old Jun 02, 2010, 05:20 AM
Crashing on a budget.
Canberra, Australia
Joined Oct 2007
155 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with the firewall moving around?

For some reason my motor gets quite hot (56 deg C) and it turns out that the firewall is attached with hot glue.
dusk is offline Find More Posts by dusk